Server Migration (Backup & Restore)

pclausen

I uninstalled the latest beta and installed the 3.4.1.0 release, and everything worked and I was able to restore from backup using the plugin.  I didn't realize it also restores all my plugins.  That is a very cool feature!

Once it is done scanning the media library, I'll switch to the latest beta again I think, but I'm going to image the drive first with Macrium Reflect!

Edited by pclausen

Hopefully you installed stable clean and fresh. It is not safe to do an over the top rollback.

pclausen

Yep, I completely removed all traces of the beta install before doing the clean install of the stable release.

pclausen

How do I switch back to the Beta train?

Under Settings/Automatic Updates, I have checked both "Enable automatic server updates" and "Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates".  I see nothing here to switch to the Beta train.

CBers

How do I switch back to the Beta train?

Under Settings/Automatic Updates, I have checked both "Enable automatic server updates" and "Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates".  I see nothing here to switch to the Beta train.

You have to shutdown Emby server, download the beta setup.exe from the website and install.

• Like 1

pclausen

Since migrating to the new server (same hardware, just a new C: drive), none of my clients are able to log in automatically any longer.  I have Shield, Apple TV and Roku clients.  Symptoms are similar on all 3 client types and are as follows:

Shield - Takes a long time to start, and I'm present with the user list each time, and I then pick a user and have to enter the password.  Then I'm good for that session.  In the Emby config on the Shield, I do have it set to log in as a specific user like I always have, and set to NOT require the password be typed in.  But despite this, I have to go through the motions each time I pick the Emby app.

Apple TV - Shows 2 Emby server icons (both are same IP and Port).  I pick one and then a user and then password and I'm in.  If I tell it for forget one of them, I can no longer get in.  When I launch the Emby app, I just get a white screen and a reboot of the Apple TV is needed to get back, at which time I'm back to the 2 Emby server icons.  I can get in as long as I don't try to forget one of the server icons first.

Roku - Haven't tried it first hand, but based on what I was told, it behaves similar to the other 2 clients.

So the issue must be on the server side.  Under devices I see all 3 client and the user that most recently logged in from each.  If I click the little dots and choose to delete the device, it gets ignored and it is still there.

p.s. I don't have any of that "easy pin" stuff enabled.

Never had this type of issue before.  Any idea what might be going on?

Edited by pclausen

CBers

WRT to Shield, change the option to always login with this user, to always display the login screen.

Log out and in and then change the option back.

That normally fixes that issue.

pclausen

That did the trick on the Shield!  (Luke's suggestion)

I'm not seeing a similar function on the AppleTV.  I guess worse case I can uninstall Emby and reinstall it.  But I'll try something along the lines of what you suggested CB on the AppleTV and Roku's.

Edited by pclausen

Fratopolis

Luke, For windows can people not just backup their entire emby-server folder if using Windows? Then no need to reinvite people to reattach accounts.

• 2 years later...
msauve
On 07/07/2018 at 08:04, pclausen said:

I'm getting ready to do a fresh win 10 install onto a fresh SSD on my existing server running Emby.  All my media lives on a large array that will still be connected to the server after the fresh win10 install, so the paths will all remain the same as before.

I run the Backup & Restore plugin, so my thinking is that the following steps should do the trick:

1. Backup the AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata folder

2. Install fresh copy of win 10

3. Install Emby

4. Install all plugins

5. Restore all settings backed up by Backup & Restore plugin

6. Restore metadata folder from backup

Am I missing anything?  I have a 120TB library with 10 user profiles and they would be pissed if they lost all their watched statuses for shows.  I have 7 Gb in my metadata folder, and it would take forever to have Emby re-download all that stuff.  My current Emby installation is about 26 months old and I'm hoping this whole thing will be a quick and painless process following the steps outlined above.

Hi,

I was wondering what was the process of backing up and restoring my emby server. Right I'm running Emby on FreeNas. I've programm a task into the tasks shedulers. My questions are the following, where are backed up these files? Can the place be changed? If yes how? 

Finally, how do I restore my backup onto my new TrueNas Emby server?

Thanks for the info and your help :) 

Regards!

26 minutes ago, msauve said:

Hi,

I was wondering what was the process of backing up and restoring my emby server. Right I'm running Emby on FreeNas. I've programm a task into the tasks shedulers. My questions are the following, where are backed up these files? Can the place be changed? If yes how? 

Finally, how do I restore my backup onto my new TrueNas Emby server?

Thanks for the info and your help :) 

Regards!

Hi there, have you taken a look at our backup guide?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

• Like 2

msauve
On 30/03/2021 at 13:50, msauve said:
On 30/03/2021 at 13:30, Luke said:

Hi there, have you taken a look at our backup guide?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Thanks a lot Luke :)

I'll be looking forward to test this procedure ;)

Regards!!

Hi,

I've just tried to configure the "Server Backup plugin" and I'm improving some issues configuring the plugin. :( I've mount a folder to my FreeNas Jail to be able to link a folder and since than, I always got a fail message.

Here's the message. Can some body be able to guide me through please?image.png.1992c3d83bbc1314526c634219d84421.png

On 4/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, msauve said:

Hi,

I've just tried to configure the "Server Backup plugin" and I'm improving some issues configuring the plugin. :( I've mount a folder to my FreeNas Jail to be able to link a folder and since than, I always got a fail message.

Here's the message. Can some body be able to guide me through please?image.png.1992c3d83bbc1314526c634219d84421.png

Hi, it looks like Emby Server is being denied write access to the backup location that you configured. Can you please look into that and let us know if it helps? Thanks !

msauve
8 hours ago, Luke said:
On 02/04/2021 at 11:15, msauve said:

Hi,

Expand  

Hi, it looks like Emby Server is being denied write access to the backup location that you configured. Can you please look into that and let us know if it helps? Thanks !

Can I please get your help regarding giving access to my backup folder location?

Thanks for your help :) 

3 hours ago, msauve said:

Can I please get your help regarding giving access to my backup folder location?

Have you taken a look at this?

msauve
9 hours ago, Luke said:
13 hours ago, msauve said:

Have you taken a look at this?

I Luke,

Yes, I've took a look on this post. But since I'm running FreeNas on a server and not a Windows machine, I would like to be able to get some help regarding adding the proper permissions to my folder. That way, I would be able to do a complete backup of my Emby Server before upgrading it to FreeNas.

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards

6 hours ago, msauve said:

I Luke,

Yes, I've took a look on this post. But since I'm running FreeNas on a server and not a Windows machine, I would like to be able to get some help regarding adding the proper permissions to my folder. That way, I would be able to do a complete backup of my Emby Server before upgrading it to FreeNas.

Best regards

Ok, have you taken a look at this?

• Like 1

msauve
14 hours ago, Luke said:
20 hours ago, msauve said:

I Luke,

Best regards

Ok, have you taken a look at this?

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the informations and I'll be looking forward into this section for my backup folder access and let you know :)

Best regards,

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am trying to backup my Emby server as I am migrating to a new machine.  However, every time I run the backup task, it fails and not sure why.  I installed the Backup & Restore plugin v1.5.1 and configured the backup folder.  Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Change backup folder

2. Install older version of Backup & Restore plugin v1.5.0

3. Restart Emby Server & PC

Running Emby Server v4.7.13.0

Attached below are the logs

Any help is much appreciated.  

Thanks,

image.png

image.png

embyserver.txt

GrimReaper
30 minutes ago, ZJT23 said:

Hello,

I am trying to backup my Emby server as I am migrating to a new machine.  However, every time I run the backup task, it fails and not sure why.  I installed the Backup & Restore plugin v1.5.1 and configured the backup folder.  Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Change backup folder

2. Install older version of Backup & Restore plugin v1.5.0

3. Restart Emby Server & PC

Running Emby Server v4.7.13.0

Attached below are the logs

Any help is much appreciated.  

Thanks,

image.png

image.png

embyserver.txt 41.92 kB · 1 download

Do you have a valid Premiere subscription? 

2023-08-15 20:40:25.796 Error Backup & Restore: Emby Backup trial has expired. Please purchase Emby Premiere at https://emby.media.

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1