• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 errolae OFFLINE  

errolae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hi, I've been using Emby for at least month on a temporary server and now consider buying premiere sub, there are some movie collections though that I configured myself, creating custom images, thumbs, description, etc. Will those images and descriptions carry over (if I have premiere sub) when I install Emby server on a dedicated linux server (using the same hdd, but obviously different os) and do backup and restore? OCD kinda kicks in and I really like how I organize my files. Thank you.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146597 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Hi, no, these you will currently need to copy over, although on a new os the paths to the media files will probably be different so those will need to be fixed up manually.
  • errolae likes this

#3 errolae OFFLINE  

errolae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

Hi, no, these you will currently need to copy over, although on a new os the paths to the media files will probably be different so those will need to be fixed up manually.

"Copy over", meaning they are like in my "metadata folder" in which I can just copy over to the new server without setting the affected files from scratch? I have like 14 collections with custom thumbs and description.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146597 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Hi, we will add documentation to our wiki and then get back to you on this. Thanks !

• SikSlayer likes this

#5 SikSlayer OFFLINE  

SikSlayer

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 688 posts
  • LocationEast Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Great! This is something I was thinking about myself.

So long as the paths to my HDDs with my content stay the same, it should be pretty simple to copy things over, yes?

#6 errolae OFFLINE  

errolae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hello, any update on this one? I’m now planning on migrating to OMV4 with the emby docker btw, It’s kind of alright though if it’s not possible to transfer all the metadatas as those individual media datas can be redownloaded easily, I’m just concerned with my custom collections that I made myself and the server settings in general.

I have my users and collections folders backed up already thinking if they’re gonna be of use in the process.

#7 d00zah OFFLINE  

d00zah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

NVM, I see you've already archived collections folder so info is irrelevant.

Edited by d00zah, 02 July 2018 - 11:40 AM.

• errolae likes this

#8 errolae OFFLINE  

errolae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

NVM, I see you've already archived collections folder so info is irrelevant.

Yup, still need confirmation though if this is possible. :unsure:

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146597 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

If you provide a server log from both the new and old server I can tell you what folder to copy. Thanks.

#10 pclausen OFFLINE  

pclausen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

I'm getting ready to do a fresh win 10 install onto a fresh SSD on my existing server running Emby.  All my media lives on a large array that will still be connected to the server after the fresh win10 install, so the paths will all remain the same as before.

I run the Backup & Restore plugin, so my thinking is that the following steps should do the trick:

1. Backup the AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata folder

2. Install fresh copy of win 10

3. Install Emby

4. Install all plugins

5. Restore all settings backed up by Backup & Restore plugin

6. Restore metadata folder from backup

Am I missing anything?  I have a 120TB library with 10 user profiles and they would be pissed if they lost all their watched statuses for shows.  I have 7 Gb in my metadata folder, and it would take forever to have Emby re-download all that stuff.  My current Emby installation is about 26 months old and I'm hoping this whole thing will be a quick and painless process following the steps outlined above.

Edited by pclausen, 07 July 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146597 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:01 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

#12 pclausen OFFLINE  

pclausen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

I got a fresh copy of Emby installed on the server after replacing the original SSD.  I added a step 3.5, which was to restore my Emby Premiere key.

I then installed all the plugins I had before.  I also copied over my daily backs from yesterday and this morning.  At first things were looking good when I attempted to restore and I had the 2 backups to choose from:

embybackup_01.JPG

But as soon as I picked either one, I get this:

embybackup_02.JPG

So I guess that plugin looks at the actual date on the files, which makes it pretty worthless for doing a restore on a new server, since all the file time stamps are going to be never than the originals.

So now I'm trying to manually copy the various folders over from my original install to the new one.  One thing I'm noticing is that the old install did not have a programdata folder, and this is where config, metadata, etc lives on the new install.  So I moved over folders from the old install to the new one and into programdata since that is where those folders appear to live now.  So after restarting the server, it picked up the users, but the new install did not pick up on any of the libraries.  So I'm manually adding in a couple by hand and will see if the user pointers for shows were preserved.

What a mess...

#13 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15325 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

There's something wrong somewhere in your setup, as I have only recently used the restore plugin on a rebuilt PC, restoring user information from a backup from a few days ago.

All worked fine for me.

Perhaps post your logs for someone to look at.

#14 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17177 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

@pclausen

What was old server version? Was it current?

#15 pclausen OFFLINE  

pclausen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

It was a fresh install of Emby onto a fresh install on Win 10, so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

At any rate, manually copying over the config and various other files seems to have done the trick.  Users are able to log in and for the libraries I have manually added back so far, their pointers are all in place.  So I think I'm good.

I am curious what the issue is, so I will post up some logs when I get a chance, once  get everything else this server is responsible for back up and running again as well.

#16 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17177 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

It was a fresh install of Emby onto a fresh install on Win 10, so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

At any rate, manually copying over the config and various other files seems to have done the trick.  Users are able to log in and for the libraries I have manually added back so far, their pointers are all in place.  So I think I'm good.

I am curious what the issue is, so I will post up some logs when I get a chance, once  get everything else this server is responsible for back up and running again as well.

What was the server version you were restoring from?

#17 pclausen OFFLINE  

pclausen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

Both the old and new servers were on 3.4.1.27 (latest beta).

On the old server, I did constantly have issues with the automatic updates.  It said they had been downloaded and to reboot for them to take effect, but it would always come back up on the old version.  So I had to resort to go download it manually and install it.  Then it would take.  Keep in mind that my old server was originally installed about 2.5 years ago, so maybe something changed along the way that caused the automatic updates to fail, and could perhaps also explain the odd "invalid date" thing I was seeing with the backup plugin.

#18 pclausen OFFLINE  

pclausen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

What was the server version you were restoring from?

If you mean the OS, both old and new were Win 10 1803 spring update.

#19 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17177 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

Both the old and new servers were on 3.4.1.27 (latest beta).

On the old server, I did constantly have issues with the automatic updates.  It said they had been downloaded and to reboot for them to take effect, but it would always come back up on the old version.  So I had to resort to go download it manually and install it.  Then it would take.  Keep in mind that my old server was originally installed about 2.5 years ago, so maybe something changed along the way that caused the automatic updates to fail, and could perhaps also explain the odd "invalid date" thing I was seeing with the backup plugin.

I was just trying to confirm you weren't trying to use backups from a older server version as there would be compatibility issues.

Everyone had this issue do the change to net core 2.1.  I used the restore feature on 3.4.1.26 so it would appear to be something specific to your setup.

#20 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146597 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

Yes a server log from that would be helpful. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: server, migrate, custom, settings, configuration, premiere, sync, backup, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users