Live Tiles

Pelon

Pelon

One of the tendencies that I have noted in multiple apps are live tiles.

For example Youtube TV has live tiles for live TV, as you move on the focus, it shows on the selected show tile a live feed in a small window.

Similarly the Netflix Android TV app shows for Netflix movies the poster, and as a specific movie is the focus, it shows the trailer for the movie.

So I imagine a poster view for movies, and as a movie is the focus, that trailer for that movie plays in the actual tile. For TV shows, the live tile could be the TV theme if available. For the on now on Live TV, the actual feed can play.

I do realize that this is be player specific as opposed to the server.

• Like 1

Waldonnis

If this is ever considered, PLEASE make it optional.  I get that there are probably people that like it, but myself and my entire circle of friends/family despise when Netflix autoplays pseudo-trailers and that "often inappropriate to the title" royalty-free music.  It's especially irksome late at night since some of the music is ridiculously loud or boisterous (go from "muted dramatic tones" to "bright orchestral piece...c'mon).  I've since made a game out of browsing Netflix: try to read the summary and move to the next title faster than the video/music loads.  When I'm not in the mood for the game, I just use their web interface to browse instead so I don't have to deal with it.  That preload/autoplay functionality on a title's detail page is irksome too...why even put a summary and abbreviated cast list there if it's just going to fade out in seconds?  May as well just play the video when it's selected from the main screen, same difference.

Sorry for the rant and my intent isn't to rail against a feature you like, but it's one of those things that people seem to either love or hate with very little grey area (as you can probably tell...lol).  Thus, making it optional is really the best compromise should it ever get implemented.  It's just one of those "features" of Netflix that personally drives me insane and makes me question if I even want to fire up Netflix every single time.  I really wish Netflix would make it optional, but they never walk back on any new feature for the first year (at least and if ever) no matter how many people complain (remember non-optional series autoplay?).

Also, from a usability perspective, it does slow down navigation on some devices thanks to the video player process having to start each time (not to mention wasting bandwidth).

• Like 3

CBers

I personally can't stand "Live Tiles", so I'm with @@Waldonnis on this one.

I wish YT never added them, as they are horrible, with no way to disable them.

Sorry @@Pelon.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
hackthis02

I'm for it! As for those that don't want it. You can always right click on any live tile and click more then turn off live tile.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
Bottles51

For all that like live tiles it should definitely be an option. Be aware live tiles will not only make your server have to work harder but will most likely require more storage 

OCDcrazy
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

A feature must have enough Likes to be put on the list for feature request.. Feature Request Tracking Thread - Feature Requests - Emby Community

as long as they don't turn Emby into something else or the same thing that is already out there bordering on infringement of intellectual property... 😜 

I hope they add this to emby it would be so nice to have this feature.

12 minutes ago, OCDcrazy said:

Any news on this yet ?

Hi, what do you want to see live?

You know at first I thought they were talking about Windows 10 Live Tiles for the Start Menu..

I am not really a fan of this for multiple reasons.. informationally speaking might be a good idea but playing videos.. I would say no... or even animations ( of the elements ) for certain aspects - eye candy.. might be cool .. IMO.. but this is probably another topic..

OCDcrazy
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you want to see live?

When browsing through recently added movies and tv shows it shows fan art in the top right which looks great. When it shows the fanart picture in the top right it would be great that after a couple seconds it plays a video preview trailer of the movie like netflix does.

• Like 1