Video Streams Freezing

ShadowKindjal

@@Luke, I saw a comment on another thread about a dedicated transcoding SSD which got me thinking. You previously said that it looked like my server was not transcoding fast enough which I dismissed because of my Xeon processor. My boot drive is on an SSD and that is also where Emby is installed. Now, when playing from my phone I am able to transcode at 480p @ 1Mbps but as soon as I bump the quality to 1080p or even just 720p @ 4Mbps I run into the streaming issue. My question is could a failing SSD be the root cause of all of these issues? It would make sense that I'm only affected on some devices and not all depending on whether the content would have to be streamed. I believe it may also explain the weird output of iostat on my zpool as well. 

If you have another drive in that machine it is pretty easy to change the transcoding directory / mount point and test the theory out.

ShadowKindjal

I did and it sadly had no effect. It seems transcoding isn't an issue at all and I only have problems with playback on direct streams

ShadowKindjal

@@Luke, I've done some more testing and would like your feedback. I know this has been a long running issue but I'm hoping this additional information may give you insight on what could be causing my issues. Right now the issues mainly seem to be limited to the Android Client. I tested playback on my Samsung Note 8 and Google Chrome both via a remote connection. The server has 150 Mbps upload, the Android phone had 70 Mbps download, and the desktop computer had 19 Mbps download. The Google Chrome browser was able to successfully play the a 18 Mbps video file via both direct streaming and transcoding down to 10 Mbps. There was no delay in start up and no freezing either. The Android client, however, was instantly able to start a "Direct Play" but would freeze about a minute into playback. Transcoding on that same video file took a long time before starting up even though it started immediately in the Chrome browser. 

Based on this I don't believe it's a network issue but possibly a problem with the Android Client? Would this make sense?

Edited by nharmon