Manually assigned episode/season number ignored by Emby

algod

algod

After one of Emby updates I found that it started to reassign manually assigned season/episode numbers. This happens during refreshing metadata, so:

1. I lost a lot of my media library metadata.
  2. I'm unable to recover it - after assigning REAL season/episode number to file - Emby drops it to default, after refreshing the metadata.

Is this new behavior correct?

Also - is it correct behavior, that now Emby metadata manager does not show and allow to fix "unrecognized" season/episodes?

Had you locked the metadata after you changed it and before it was refreshed?

algod

Nope. The reason was to manually fix wrongly detected or undetected season/episode and then automatically download metadata with images from the web. Now - it's impossible to do. 

Also, I didn't lock metadata because, previously, it was OK to have automatically updated covers, ratings an so on for the new TV series.

You will need to lock them in order to prevent those changes from being lost. Or if you don't want to lock them that's fine but you can never refresh them after that.

Better yet just rename the files to use a supported episode naming convention so that the numbers are detected automatically.

algod

If I lock them - I'll be unable to download metadata from web. So - it's vicious circle. I don't understand why Emby started to reassign season/episode number - now metadata manager is useless utility.

As for renaming - I have many old downloads, for example, Mythbusters with "non-standard" series numbering. 282 episodes - it's a bit hard to rename. And if I rename them - I'll lost torrent files bindings because Synology Download station does not allow files renaming.

Also, the latest Emby does not recognize merged series with initially switched order, for example: 1x02-01 'Second episode'_'First episode'.avi - so renaming will not help at all. 

So, is such behavior is "the new right behavior" and it will not be fixed? Semiautomatic metadata management is killer feature for me, and now - it gone.

it's currently expected behavior although it's possible that we could introduce the ability to lock just those fields.

What you're asking for would just increase the level of complication well beyond our comfort level, and would likely lead to other problems. For instance, for every single field in the database, we would not only have to store the value of that field, but we'd also have to store information about where the value came from, e.g. was it a custom edit, from the internet, etc. And then we'd have to use that information to decide if a value should be changed or not.

In addition to that, imagine all the other people that would report "refresh metadata not working", when they use the refresh function, and expect their data to change, but it doesn't actually change.

algod

These fields are taken in different ways: "filename" - constant, and "metadata from web" - dynamic. Furthermore - filename IS NOT metadata, it's - "metadata identity source". Look: metadata identity is "ShowID+SeasonNo+EpisodeNo", and ShowID+SeasonNo+EpisodeNo - is not metadata itself, and it should not be updated on "Metadata Refresh", because, at least, filename was not changed (and in case of changing - it will be the new record in DB, so all will be done automatically).

So the right way to get Season/Episode for file - is to read them from DB, or parse them FROM THE NEWLY ADDED FILE name and save to DB, for the first time only. It is not necessary to lock those fields - there are no need to rewrite them each time on refresh. 

And this worked well, all the time, before now. And I'm not asking to "add" some feature, I'm asking: "Some functionality was broken, is it accidental, or planned?" Did you have "refresh metadata not working" issue before?

BTW, now in case if Emby can not parse the file name - it ERASES those fields. And if it can not parse EpisodeNo - then file does not APPEAR in the DB at all. Try this structure:

Test TV Show/Season 01/01. First Episode of First Season.mkv

Edited by algod

Happy2Play

Are you writing nfo files or saving directly to database?

algod

Directly to database.

Test TV Show/Season 01/01. First Episode of First Season.mkv - works OK, my fault. I had to wait more time for rescan.

But:
Test TV Show/Season 2009/01. First Episode.mkv
does not work properly. Emby doesn't recognize Season 2009 - but overwrites it's assignment to 'Season Unknown'. 
I was partially mistaken with the initial error, because all such previously (a year ago) added episodes totally disappeared - and full/partial rescan didn't help. I had to rename the TV Show name to find the disappeared episodes under 'Unknown' season.

Emby can has errors. I remember Emby version, when filename like Show Name/Season 01/s01-e01 Title (Other text 603).mkv was recognized as "Season 1, Episode 603", or something like that. And Emby must give user an ability to bypass it's errors.

p.s. "Season 2009" is not my imagination: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/mythbusters/seasons/2009

Happy2Play

But:

Test TV Show/Season 2009/01. First Episode.mkv
does not work properly. Emby doesn't recognize Season 2009 - but overwrites it's assignment to 'Season Unknown'. 
I was partially mistaken with the initial error, because all such previously (a year ago) added episodes totally disappeared - and full/partial rescan didn't help. I had to rename the TV Show name to find the disappeared episodes under 'Unknown' season.

p.s. "Season 2009" is not my imagination: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/mythbusters/seasons/2009

@@Luke there is a bug with this naming convention (or just unsupported mixed naming conventions).  If episodes don't reflect season, the season is unknown.

Example Season 2009 with episode S2009E01.ext and Season 2010 with 01.ext.

5b10844b766c2_season.jpg

Mythbusters\Season 2009\S2009E01.ext

Mythbusters\Season 2010\01.ext

Note the Season 2009 doesn't pull external id either.  No season nfo written either

***Another update

The Mythbusters Season example my guess would be, because TMDB does not list the Seasons by year like TVDB.

5b10929666479_tmdb.jpg

Only way around this would be also searching TMDB by TVDB season id.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Happy2Play

• 4 weeks later...
Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play do you still see this on the beta server?

Using the same scenario, yes.

Added another Season to Mythbusters and episode was added to existing Season Unknown.

Unknown contains episode from 2010 and 2011 season folders.

5b2ec1ccd74ea_season2.jpg

5b2ec1efb4db9_season.jpg

Also add Season 2012 with episode S2012E04.ext to show naming convention works

5b2ec324cab7f_season3.jpg

embyserver.txt

The season folder parsing should be resolved for the next release. 

As far as editing episode/season numbers go, i saw no problems here. If you edit a season or episode number and then do a manual refresh of that content, your edits will be lost unless you lock the item.

Happy2Play

Confirmed what I reported is resolved in beta 3.4.1.23,