Remember audio and subtitles selection per TV show

capitaineflam25

capitaineflam25

Hi,

I’d love that audio and subtitles choice would be saved per show, according to what you select on the last episode you watched.

The main audio/subtitles parameters is a good point but there are many cases it is not enough and you need to adjust audio and subtitles at the beginning of every episodes.

For example i like to watch Casa de Pale in Spanish with french subtitles, The Big Bang Theory in English with french subtitles, French TV shows in french without subtitles, ....

Edited by capitaineflam25
  • Like 33
  • Agree 2

We already do this, unless your subtitle setting is set to no subtitles.

capitaineflam25

Do you mean i have to enable "Subtitles download" for my libraries (and check "Bypass if my video already has subtiltes", since my media have embeded subtitles) to enable the feature ?

Regards

Right ok my mistake. It is only per each individual episode and will not carry from one to the next.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
smiffy885

Yeah, I would like to see this feature too as many my shows have subtitles for signs and dialogue in other languages and it's a pain to remember to set them every time I start playing an episode, I like to just turn them all on for a season and then forget about them. it would be nice for my subtitle settings to carry over across from my PC (easy to change a whole season) to my Roku (pain in the backside)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
miniliQuid

Yeah would be a great feature to have to change per show.

My Japanese isn't good enough to watch the shows without English subs.

However my Dutch and English are fine which makes most shows with subs, just annoying.

Allthough some movies and shows are with more foreign languages, so having subs remembered there is nice as well once they are set :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
miniliQuid

The main audio/subtitles parameters is a good point but there are many cases it is not enough and you need to adjust audio and subtitles at the beginning of every episodes.

Is it correct that this hasn't changed yet? Think it still goes back to having subtitles on many shows where a new episode comes out (even though I put them off every episode).

Still feel it would be great if emby remembered what you set subs/audio to the last time you watched an episode.

• Like 1

The biggest issue is that the video items are not guaranteed to have the same audio nor subtitle tracks.  How do we identify them?  We certainly cannot rely on position (index number) which is how all of this is managed now.

We'd have to make some sort of guess based on language I guess...

miniliQuid

No clue, issues can always arise I guess. I have no idea how this would work in the background, I would say just by language but I have no idea if it can see the languages for subs and audio?

If flagged correctly it shouldn't it be able to pick forced subs everytime if they are available?

Now and then I have a show that keeps using the English subtitles anyway (perhaps cause that was the setting when starting to watch the show?).

At this point I turn them off everytime I watch a new episode because apparently it thinks I want them on for the whole show somehow.

Remembering that subs shouldn't be on for series that have no foreign parts anyway, shouldn't cause any issues I guess? But it does help me from having to turn off subs for every episode.

If flagged correctly it shouldn't it be able to pick forced subs everytime if they are available?

We already do this - depending on the options you set in subtitle handling.

Now and then I have a show that keeps using the English subtitles anyway (perhaps cause that was the setting when starting to watch the show?).

At this point I turn them off everytime I watch a new episode because apparently it thinks I want them on for the whole show somehow.

Remembering that subs shouldn't be on for series that have no foreign parts anyway, shouldn't cause any issues I guess? But it does help me from having to turn off subs for every episode.

Have you explored the subtitle handling settings?

Romek123

you can flag a subtitle file as the default one

i had same issue with Korean shows and english sub titles. Had Always to set english subs as default one at the start.

found in wiki when you rename the subtitle file and add default than its always loaded with this show

so when your file is

randommovie.eng.srt

change it to:

randommovie.eng.default.srt

it will than always start with the movie

would be great when we could make this inside of emby

Edited by Romek123

miniliQuid

you can flag a subtitle file as the default one

i had same issue with Korean shows and english sub titles. Had Always to set english subs as default one at the start.

found in wiki when you rename the subtitle file and add default than its always loaded with this show

so when your file is

randommovie.eng.srt

change it to:

randommovie.eng.default.srt

it will than always start with the movie

would be great when we could make this inside of emby

That is the issue we want to prevent though, starting with a default subtitle.

We want it to remember previous settings so we dont have to change the "default" subtitles when we want different ones on each episode.

On top of that If I understood correctly, once you set it for a movie, it will remember your setting for that movie for the next time.

Same for the episode, but the issue with that is, that following episodes still have to be switched manually (and only when rewatching the show you will benefit from it).

• 2 weeks later...
EduardoSantos

In a nutshell:

Configured a user according to:

Preferred subtitle language: Portuguese

Subtitle mode: Always play subtitles

General behaviour presented:

Media with no embedded subtitles: Emby will play external subtitle by default - Ok!

Media with embedded subtitles (not default/forced): Emby will play external subtitle by default - Ok!

Media with embedded subtitles (default/forced): Emby will play embedded default subtitle by default - Ok!

Media with embedded subtitles (default/forced) with external subtitle previously selected: Emby will play previous selection by default - Ok!

Next TV Series episode: Emby will apply above rules regardless of current episode subtitle selection.

TV Series desired behaviour:

Emby will play next episode subtitles using the same selection it had on the current episode.

If next episode subtitles have different order/numbering Emby will fall back to it's current general behavior

This would be kind of an extension to current behaviour of remembering previous subtitle selection spanning to all episodes

Edited by EduardoSantos

This all boils down to how does the program determine "the same selection it had on the [previous] episode"?

Each episode is it's own completely different media item and could be in a different format with completely different streams available.

miniliQuid

Okay, so you can never have it 100% accurate, but say it's a blu-ray of series "x".

Most likely if audio track 1 is English for episode 1, chances are high it will be for episode 2, episode 3 and so on.

Same example for the subtitles, would emby be able to set the same track number as you chose last time?

So say for a certain show I like to watch without subtitles, off would be track 0 for example and then emby sets track 0 at the start of a new episode since I played my last episode like that?

And if that doesn't work, would it work by language somehow? If you set English, would it be able to find English again for the next episode?

I really have no clue how this would work for Emby behind the screens, but anything like it would be appreciated.

In theory, an option with a disclaimer of the limitations is possible. It could result in constant question and answers though about why certain tracks are not being selected.

• Like 3

miniliQuid

In theory, an option with a disclaimer of the limitations is possible. It could result in constant question and answers though about why certain tracks are not being selected.

Stating near the option that it may not work if tracks differ between episodes, the ones paying attention should know enough I guess.

There will always be those that start asking questions, not paying attention, or not understanding :(

I mean I have made 1 or 2 topics myself asking things, or stating problems, that I ended up creating myself by not paying attention and reading properly.

Or by misinterpreting something, we are human after all, so you cannot avoid that completely. I do feel Emby is plenty user friendly, even for those who aren't wizkids with electronics and computers.

Stating near the option that it may not work if tracks differ between episodes, the ones paying attention should know enough I guess.

There will always be those that start asking questions, not paying attention, or not understanding :(

Exactly and that costs us - and you - time because we have to read and respond to all of the questions.  We have similar disclaimers on several options and still spend significant time answering questions and troubleshooting people's problems when they either don't read them or just don't truly understand them.  So we have to be very judicious about adding even more of these types of things.

It can always be added as an option disabled by default.

All of the options I was referring to above are disabled by default.

miniliQuid

Exactly and that costs us - and you - time because we have to read and respond to all of the questions.  We have similar disclaimers on several options and still spend significant time answering questions and troubleshooting people's problems when they either don't read them or just don't truly understand them.  So we have to be very judicious about adding even more of these types of things.

I do get that, but at which point does "the need" for the feature outweigh the amount of trouble it may cause?

Movies basically work fine, but plenty of shows have 10 season of 20 episodes or so.

That equals 200 episodes that need to have the subtitles changed when they start playing :(

It can always be added as an option disabled by default.

Point is people may activate them, not reading properly and then get on the forums suggesting the features are broken/bugged/glitched and simply not working properly.

• Like 1

That equals 200 episodes that need to have the subtitles changed when they start playing :(

I guess my question is, why don't the default subtitle settings take care of that for you?  How often is it that these selections cannot be governed by these settings?

miniliQuid

Well unfortunately pretty often for me, since none of the current subtitle options is perfect for me.

Discussed it a bit with Luke in a topic, since I thought it wasn't working properly.

I thought "smart" subtitles with English as main subtitle language would be fine for me:

Anime in my library has Japanese audio, and I want the English subtitles activated = working with smart setting.

TV shows & Movies that have foreign parts, need forced subtitles only = working with smart setting, except for when there aren't forced subtitles, but that makes sense to me.

TV shows & movies that have no foreign parts, but are simply English, need no subtitles = not always working, and I see no obvious reason why it picks subtitles

I have then tried simply disabling subtitles as a setting, but that's worse since anime will obviously never be subtitled, even though I always need it subtitled (my Japanese isn't very good yet :D ).

So smart is still the best option, but I have no clue why it sometimes start subtitles at a show, unless it thinks it needs subtitles due to foreign audio.

So smart is still the best option, but I have no clue why it sometimes start subtitles at a show, unless it thinks it needs subtitles due to foreign audio.

When that happens, is the audio track properly tagged as English?

miniliQuid

Well that is where it get's a little harder for me since I am not 100% sure.

Sometimes I get an audio track where emby picks it up as labeled something (probably) related to the encode/codec types: AAC stereo, something like that.

There will be no English in the audio title as far as emby tells me, yet it does not turn on subtitles (which is fine at that point for me since there is no foreign chatter, so no subs needed).

However sometimes the audio has a random name as well, and it decides to turn the English or Dutch subtitles on, but I guess that might make sense.

Strangest though are the ones that actually state English in the name, yet Emby still decides to turn on any kind of subs it can find :(

Now I guess being properly tagged needs to be on a different level than the naming label?

Could check that sometime when it does something "unexpected" to see if that might be the issue.

I do use MKVtoolnix to sometimes adjust forced/default flags if things are messed up and really not working, or for my own blu-ray rips.

However I do not use it very often (don't do tons of these) so I am not that familiar with what I should look at.

I generally keep things simple, so I am not sure which labels & settings to look at at that point.