Remember audio and subtitles selection per TV show

capitaineflam25

nodispname

That does not seem to be my experience on the two shows that I'm running into the problem with.

Attached are screenshots of my subsettings and what I want on the show, but they default to off. The subtitles that I'm selecting are definitely what should be 'forced' subs.

subsettings.png

desired_show_subs.png

7 hours ago, nodispname said:

The subtitles that I'm selecting are definitely what should be 'forced' subs

Are they properly tagged as such?  From your screenshot, it doesn't look like it.

Yea if they were forced it would say something like English (DVDSUB) (Forced)

14 minutes ago, nodispname said:

So if the subtitles have forced in the name in the underlying video that'll do the trick?

They need to be actually tagged as "forced". 

Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, nodispname said:

So if the subtitles have forced in the name in the underlying video that'll do the trick?

Emby Subtitles : Emby

Forced Subtitles
External subtitles can be marked as forced using either ".forced" or ".foreign".

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
      Home Alone.mkv
      Home Alone.srt
      Home Alone.spa.forced.srt 
      Home Alone.spa.foreign.srt

Internal subs need to have the forced flag.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bazzu85 said:

in MKVtoolnix, forced display on the right

image.thumb.png.b21c47f3e1139683efd9c556b89ef73c.png

Try refreshing the metadata on the video in Emby and see if it picks up the forced flag.

Happy2Play
13 hours ago, Bazzu85 said:

in MKVtoolnix, forced display on the right

image.thumb.png.b21c47f3e1139683efd9c556b89ef73c.png

What is that suppose to show as is showing a No Destination file screen.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mister D

As someone who watches a lot of fan-subbed anime where they will have multiple subtitle tracks, this feature would be great. The issue now is that they might set the karaoke or signs subtitles as default. This results in the default subtitle settings to correctly select the karaoke subtitles for example resulting in my having to manually select the second subtitle track which is the dialogue track on each episode. Although working as designed, this presents an inconvenience since I now have to manually select the subtitle track I want on each episode of that show I watch, which could be anywhere from 13 episodes to 52 or more.

What I would like is an option at the show or season level that overrides the default setting or for Emby to just retain the track selection for the season once changed regardless of what the default setting is. This could be an option in the Remember subtitle track selections section of the server where it not only retains it for when playing the same video again but actually retains it at a TV show level.

It could be a TV shows sub-menu under that option with a checkbox stating "Remember subtitle selection for all episodes". So if I select subtitle track 2 on an episode, then every subsequent episode should default to that subtitle track. If let's say the sub I select is the 2nd track and the next episode only has 1 subtitle track, then it would default to the standard subtitle selection logic. If the subtitle tracks are out of order, which shouldn't really be an occurrence, then that's just a risk the user will have to deal with and better curate their content.

Edited by Mister D

14 minutes ago, Mister D said:

then that's just a risk the user will have to deal with and better curate their content

Hi.  Couldn't the exact same thing be said about this request?  I mean, if the media has the subtitle defaults/languages set properly, then there is no issue here.

We may end up trying to do something here but our hesitation is that the likelihood of this causing problems in many situations is very high. 

Mister D
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Couldn't the exact same thing be said about this request?  I mean, if the media has the subtitle defaults/languages set properly, then there is no issue here.

We may end up trying to do something here but our hesitation is that the likelihood of this causing problems in many situations is very high. 

Understandable, but there is also the possibility of the user wanting to select a specific language or subtitle track to watch a series with someone who might not speak the language of the default options. So if my media is set up correctly but I'm rewatching a show with default Japanese audio with my kids but they aren't good at reading subtitles fast enough, then if I select the English language option on the first episode, the language part of this option would then select the English track for each subsequent episode even though it's not the default track that would be selected by the default language settings.

Same thing could apply for subtitles. If I watched a show with multiple subtitles like from different fansub groups or the Bluray subs and the fansubbed version with one of those subtitle tracks and wanted to watch it again with let's say the Bluray subs versus the fan subtitles then the selected track would stick for all subsequent episodes. Again, this would be an option that is disabled by default so if most users want to stick with the default options they would be able to and similar to how there is verbiage explaining what the remember subtitles option does now, there would be the same for this option for both audio and subtitle tracks.

Edited by Mister D

• 4 months later...
dariusaurius
On 8/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, Mister D said:

Understandable, but there is also the possibility of the user wanting to select a specific language or subtitle track to watch a series with someone who might not speak the language of the default options. So if my media is set up correctly but I'm rewatching a show with default Japanese audio with my kids but they aren't good at reading subtitles fast enough, then if I select the English language option on the first episode, the language part of this option would then select the English track for each subsequent episode even though it's not the default track that would be selected by the default language settings.

Same thing could apply for subtitles. If I watched a show with multiple subtitles like from different fansub groups or the Bluray subs and the fansubbed version with one of those subtitle tracks and wanted to watch it again with let's say the Bluray subs versus the fan subtitles then the selected track would stick for all subsequent episodes. Again, this would be an option that is disabled by default so if most users want to stick with the default options they would be able to and similar to how there is verbiage explaining what the remember subtitles option does now, there would be the same for this option for both audio and subtitle tracks.

+1

Setting defaults for dub language and the sub (enabled or disabled would be enough for me) per TV show would be so awesome. It's the same pain of constant switching of the audio and subtitle in Netflix as well. Some shows are in the original language so much better. Obviously I don''t require subtitles for my mother language, but for foreign ones, subtitles are a must have.

13 hours ago, dariusaurius said:

Obviously I don''t require subtitles for my mother language, but for foreign ones, subtitles are a must have

Hi.  Don't our current configuration settings already handle that situation for you?

dariusaurius
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Don't our current configuration settings already handle that situation for you?

Hi thanks for your answer. Yes there are settings to configure the dub/sub preference like "if this, then that", but having a setting to configure a language setting for a specific show comes in handy, in the cases where a certain language is preferred for a specific show.

Right now, I only see it like "Mister D" described, you would need to change the dub/sub after the next episode starts... every time. Most if not all of the foreign shows in Germany are exclusively available as DL (original dub and foreign dub), but not every show is good translated, therefore even the best intelligence won't meet personal preferences.

There is already a setting in "Audio" and "Subtitle" to remember the last used setting, but it only remembers is for a specific file.

I can imagine how difficult it myth be define a specific dub or sub stream for a show, because of all those possible inconsistent streams, but having the possibility to change the already given settings for "prefered language" and "prefered subtitle/subtitle mode" on a show basis could be enough. This only applies for TV shows, any other media type is in my opinion irrelevant.

Since even Netflix didn't manage to come up with a good solution, it is possible that I underestimate the problem... Netflix tried to solve it with profiles (German, English with Sub, German with Sub, etc) which can be switched on the bottom of the screen, it isn't perfect but at least something I guess.

Sorry for the long post, if you see a possibility it would be great, otherwise it isn't the end of the world.

• 1 month later...

Hi,
First of all, I would like to say that I am a huge fan of the Emby project and a huge thank you to all the people who have contributed to it.

I currently have the following scenario:

I am a native German speaker but have a sufficient understanding of English.

- I want to watch original German content in German without subtitles.
- I want to watch most non-German content in English without subtitles
- I would like to watch anime in Japanese with German subtitles

So subtitles aren't needed for multiple languages and not everything will be watched in the default (original) language. I think many here have a similar problem.
So far you have referred to the normal Emby settings and that a feature within a series would lead to an increased support volume.

Is this assessment based on experience with the current feature from Emby settings or is the current logic of selecting the track to be played alright?

If so, could it be a "simple" solution to be able to select the settings (regardless of what is available in the content) within a series and have it only override the Emby settings, but use the same logic?

To elaborate what I imagine:
- The setting could appear in the season/episode selection under the "More" menu as "Preferred Language", which shows a popup to select "Preferred Audio Language" and "Preferred Subtitle Language" for that series
- A corresponding disclaimer could be displayed at the bottom of the popup, warning that the feature only works with correctly designated tracks
- It would offer all languages for audio and subtitles to choose from, regardless of the actual content, which are also available in the Emby settings
- There would be an additional "Default" value that inherits the Emby settings, which is selected by default
- The existing logic can be used to select the track to be played, since only the value from the Emby settings needs to be replaced by the series settings

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, HawkXP71 said:

This is now 3 years old, any hope for it being implemented?

Hi, it's possible for future updates. Thanks.

14 hours ago, HawkXP71 said:

This is now 3 years old, any hope for it being implemented?

Hi.  Also, please see all the previous discussion because it isn't just a straightforward answer.  There are a lot of complications that will need to be worked through.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Scenario:

You have a TV show with multiple episodes, and all of them contain audio track and subtitle in two different languages.

When you watch the first episode, you select an audio track and subtitle which were not the ones Emby had selected initially, by default. Then, when the first episode is over, and the second one starts, Emby resets the language to its default selection instead of preserving the selections from the previous episode. So, the user has to stop playback and reconfigure the language for every episode.

Request:

Emby should try to preserve the audio track and subtitle selected from one episode to another, assuming the tracks/languages are consistently labeled in all video files.

• Agree 3

GrimReaper

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at:

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
TurkeyMan

It's criminal that this issue has been open for 5+ years.

I understand that there's obviously a potential challenge if people have a folder full of mismatched media, but seriously, you can't develop Emby to cater for moron users as primary use case. Anybody sane has a well curated media library, and those users who make that effort should expect the best possible experience. They must be top design priority.

Having a potentially weird experience when encountering a folder fill of mixed media is nothing compared to having to manually select the language and subtitle at the start of every single episode every few minutes. Have you ever watched an Anime series? Imagine 20 minute episodes... hundreds and hundreds of 20 minute episodes. Additionally annoying when enabling bitmap subtitles every episode cause the stream to stop and restart with transcoding; that adds an annoying freeze/delay in addition al the frustrating task.

This need to be fixed.