Movies starting with "the" not sorted correctly

Starlionblue

Starlionblue

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I haven't found anything unfortunately. A search which includes the word "the" is not very useful.

In MB2, movies that started with "The" were sorted using the first letter of the following word. For example "The Aviator" would be sorted under "A". This seems no longer to be the case, with "The" movies sorted under "T".

Am I missing a checkbox or something?

Koleckai Silvestri

Make sure they don't have a sort name or remove the from the start of the sort name. This can happen when you have older movie.xml files or get your metadata from a third-party utility.

Starlionblue

Make sure they don't have a sort name or remove the from the start of the sort name. This can happen when you have older movie.xml files or get your metadata from a third-party utility.

I understand about the metadata. The issue is that two days ago MB2 was sorting every single one of them correctly. The metadata didn't change overnight so it would seem that MB3 is doing something differently.

Starlionblue

Thx guys. That explains it. 

So basically I have to migrate to MB3 metadata, or find a way to edit the metadata for all those titles. Whee!  :blink:

Anyone know a batch tool for this?

Edited by Starlionblue

The change is that MB3 is honoring the custom SortTitle xml value correctly, whereas MB2 was taking it and changing it on the fly. So it's actually a bug in MB2 that caused that behavior, then 3rd party tools adjusted to the bug, and the whole thing snowballed. For Mb3 we decided not to continue that practice and just do it right. But if you have those values in your xml you may have to do some manual tinkering. 

• 7 months later...

Late reply but will prove useful for anyone searching for a solution on batch/mass updating sort titles.

How-to batch remove sort-title tags from metadata (Windows):

1. Download and install Notepad ++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/)
  2. In Windows Explorer navigate to your movies folder and search 'movie.xml'
  3. Select all the 'movie.xml' files then right click and select Edit with NotePad++
  4. In NotePad++ Click 'Search' and then 'Replace'
  5. Under 'Find what' type <SortTitle>(.*?)</SortTitle>
  6. Under 'Replace with' type <SortTitle></SortTitle>
  7. Under 'Search mode' click the 'Regular expression' radio button
  8. Click 'Replace All in All Opened Documents'
  9. Click 'Close'
  10. Click 'File' and then 'Save All'
  11. Close Notepad++
  12. You're done!