Synced media not downloading to Android Device

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I have never tried the Sync feature prior to today but I am about to go on a trip soon and thought I'd try to sync some media to my phone for the flight.

From the Android mobile app I went to the sync menu for the movie I want and selected the bitrate I wanted. The conversion starts and completes but now it just stays at waiting to transfer. I left my phone charging over night connected to wifi thinking it would eventually download but nothing yet. I tried setting a custom offline sync folder in my Emby client settings to. Am I missing something? How do I get the converted media downloaded to my phone?

Jdiesel

It appears I can somewhat force a download by going into my "offline sync" settings page then exiting. A notification pops up but nothing actually downloads then the notification goes away. Attached is a log of this behavior.

KarlDag

I'm also facing a similar issue, set a few different files to sync to an android tablet... 2 movies and a few TV episodes transferred, but I have a bunch still not "downloaded" and it's been days now.

Bought a lifetime sub for this about a week ago, hope I can get this working soon.

KarlDag

Is there even a way to pause/resume downloads? If feels to me like my app stopped transferring for whatever reason and isn't resuming... How can I do so manually?

Jdiesel

Yeah something weird is going on. I don't know what the expected behavior is suppose to be but it isn't intuitive at all.

I was able to get a movie to download by doing the following:

1) Open the settings menu in the app and go to "Offline Sync"

2) Don't change any settings and click the "Home" button

3) A icon should appear in the notification bar with the progress

4) The download will start but if you leave the Emby app or let the phones screen turn off the download will fail and you need to start from scratch again

I was able to successfully download a movie by keeping my phone's screen awake while staying in the Emby at for 20 minutes while the movie downloaded. If this is by design it is seriously flawed. This is on a Samsung S8+

Jdiesel

I believe I found the culprit to my issue. It appears having the power saving features enabled on my Samsung phone causes network connections to drop when the screen is off. So far so good. I'll test some more once I am back on my home network.

KarlDag

Yeah, similarly I set my tablet to stay awake when charging in developer options and it seems to be syncing fine right now while plugged. Guess something isn't working properly with the doze function android introduced a while back.

That's strange because we do use a wake lock which should keep the device awake during the download.

KarlDag

That's strange because we do use a wake lock which should keep the device awake during the download.

Turns out it never finished downloading.. got about half my files downloaded, other half hasn't. Left plugged in for a few days.

Jdiesel

Still having issues with downloads not starting or failing midway and restarting over an over again

We are reworking some of the downloading for the next update to the app. Thanks.

KarlDag

We are reworking some of the downloading for the next update to the app. Thanks.

I was asked to wait a week to see if you guys can fix this before I get a refund.  That week ends tomorrow.  I wouldn't mind waiting for the update to see if it does fix my issues - I would really love to ditch Plex for Emby for good.  Do you have a rough ETA for this update?  This week?

It definitely will be in the very near future but I don't think it would be wise for me to try and guarantee that it will be this week.

KarlDag

It definitely will be in the very near future but I don't think it would be wise for me to try and guarantee that it will be this week.

I understand not giving ETAs and risking disappointment... Very near future is good enough, I'll wait until then *fingers crossed*

• 4 weeks later...
Jdiesel

I updated to the latest beta today and the issue still exists. Downloading starts but never makes it past about 1/8th complete then the download restarts. I've tried leaving the app open and it does not help. The movie I am trying to sync is about 250Mb and my router shows over 3GB of data transferred to from my server to that device since I started the sync process.

The beta actually does not include all of the promised changes, although they are coming very soon. we just had to get a build out for other reasons. the downloading portion is going to be reworked to use android download manager api's. I think that should solve everything.

For all of you encountering problems with downloads not starting reliably, could you please try

• Uninstall the app (erasing all data)
  • Restart device
  • Reinstall the app

Please report if that helps!

Edited by softworkz

Jdiesel

For all of you encountering problems with downloads not starting reliably, could you please try

• Uninstall the app (erasing all data)
  • Restart device
  • Reinstall the app
Please report if that helps!

This seemed to have worked for me. Was able to start a sync, close the app the have the download complete.

Thanks for trying. That's great to hear!

It won't work perfectly yet, because on latest Android versions, the OS can decide to shutdown background operations for various reasons (power saving, network shutdowns, other background jobs that are due for execution).

But what you can expect is that downloads are starting timely and complete successfully when they don't take a too long time to complete.

It will be much better soon, we're working on it..

KarlDag

Saw the latest version has sync improvements, if anyone can tell me if it works I'd love to hear feedback.  Thanks.

Jdiesel

Saw the latest version has sync improvements, if anyone can tell me if it works I'd love to hear feedback.  Thanks.

I haven't really used the feature much lately other than a quick test. Deleting the app, restarting my phone, then reinstalling the app seemed to fix a lot of the severe issues I was having with the app. I haven't tried syncing on the latest beta release as of yet though.

My experience has been on a Samsung s8, s8+, and s2 tab. There seems so be a common theme of Samsung devices with those having issues which I don't know if is due to Samsung's power management or the fact the Samsung Android devices as just more common in general thus a greater chance on someone reporting a problem.

zapras

Just a side note. My Emby app stopped syncing due to some files being corrupted. Once I removed them, syncing continued. Emby should really check for this and skip them. Ahh well

Just a side note. My Emby app stopped syncing due to some files being corrupted. Once I removed them, syncing continued. Emby should really check for this and skip them. Ahh well

We do skip over failures and continue onward. Please see how to report a problem. thanks !