H/W Transcoding Compatibility List?

tiorsus

tiorsus

I'm currently an Emby user on QNap, thinking about moving over to Synology.  I've read a few threads discussing H/W transcoding on different specific models, but is there some "central" compatibility list for which models Emby supports, and for which formats?

I'd like to make sure I choose a NAS on which Emby is able to H/W transcode h264 & h265, w/ AC3 audio :)

solabc16

Hello @@metal450

The new(ish) Synology models that have Intel processors with built-in GPUs would be a good starting point.

You could consider those with either  'braswell' or 'apollolake' architectures listed here: https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have.

Of course, you need to factor in all your requirements to arrive at a conclusion.

I always recommend trying to make sure you can direct play the majority of the media to the device(s) you'll primarily be consuming it on.

Best

- James

tiorsus

>>You could consider those with either  'braswell' or 'apollolake' architectures

Should I read this to mean "if it has a braswell or apollolake cpu, then Emby will be able to H/W transcode h264 & h265, w/ AC3 audio"?

>>you need to factor in all your requirements to arrive at a conclusion.

Yup, but the only requirements I'm trying to determine here are per my OP: which models Emby can support H/W transcoding. Just because the CPU itself supports it doesn't necessarily mean Emby has been implemented to do so (that was the case with my QNap when I first bought it: the cpu could transcode h264, but Emby could not).  Thus the question ;)

Edited by metal450

>>You could consider those with either  'braswell' or 'apollolake' architectures

Should I read this to mean "if it has a braswell or apollolake cpu, then Emby will be able to H/W transcode h264 & h265, w/ AC3 audio"?

>>you need to factor in all your requirements to arrive at a conclusion.

Yup, but the only requirements I'm trying to determine here are per my OP: which models Emby can support H/W transcoding. Just because the CPU itself supports it doesn't necessarily mean Emby has been implemented to do so (that was the case with my QNap when I first bought it: the cpu could transcode h264, but Emby could not).  Thus the question ;)

Our Emby QNAP app can transcode h264, please be aware. Thanks.

tiorsus

Our Emby QNAP app can transcode h264, please be aware. Thanks.

Yeah, I know - that's what I'm using now. Again, just trying to determine - per the OP - that Emby on Synology would support h264 and h265 (aka on CPUs that support it, that Emby will also support it). Emby does on QNap now, but did not on QNap when I first bought my QNap. I'm asking if Emby does currently on Synology.

solabc16

Hello @@metal450

For Emby Server on Synology/XPEnology, support for h/w transcoding is provided via the VA-API.

So capability for any given platform is determined by:-

• The hardware's underlying feature set.
  • The VA-API software implementation.
The CPU/GPU combinations currently available are as follows:-

Apollo Lake

Intel Celeron J3355 (DS418play / DS218+) HD Graphics 500
Intel Celeron J3455 (DS918+ / DS718+)    HD Graphics 500

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD,_UHD_and_Iris_Graphics#Apollo_Lake

Braswell

Intel Celeron N3050 (DS216+)               HD Graphics (12 EUs)
Intel Celeron N3060 (DS416play / DS216+II) HD Graphics 400
Intel Celeron N3150 (DS716+)               HD Graphics (12 EUs)
Intel Celeron N3160 (DS716+II)             HD Graphics 400
Intel Pentium N3710 (DS916+)               HD Graphics 405

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD,_UHD_and_Iris_Graphics#Braswell

For information on the algorithms that have hardware accelerated support, there is some useful information here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD,_UHD_and_Iris_Graphics#Intel_Pentium_and_Celeron_family). Details of the features supported by the 'intel-vaapi-driver' can be found here (https://github.com/intel/intel-vaapi-driver/blob/master/README), as you will have seen from some of the other threads we keep up-to-date with these releases.

There are a few elements to consider, so you once you have established the specifics of your source material and required output format, you should be able to use this information (and of course your own research) to reach a conclusion. As I said earlier, it's worth making sure that there is no way of achieving your intended goal without transcoding or for media that you expect to be consumed more than once, doing the transcoding once and up front.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

tiorsus

>>Details of the features supported by the 'intel-vaapi-driver' can be found here (https://github.com/intel/intel-vaapi-driver/blob/master/README)

I actually don't see Apollo Lake mentioned in that doc - but from your post I infer that it is supported by vaapi driver ;)  

From what I can tell, I also infer that all of those models you mentioned also support the formats I mentioned.

>>As I said earlier, it's worth making sure that there is no way of achieving your intended goal without transcoding or for media that you expect to be consumed more than once, doing the transcoding once and up front.

Understood - I didn't address that because it was outside the scope of my question (just trying to determine device support), but since you've mentioned it twice I'll address it: while not transcoding is obviously better when possible, I still sometimes use it when watching remotely (i.e. from a mobile device over a cellular connection, not while on the same LAN as the media). Watching at home will not transcode, but being *able* to transcode is still important.

Thanks again~

• 2 months later...
tiorsus

Haven't had a chance to switch over yet (still on QNap). Was planning ahead to move to Synology, but some other projects pushed back my plans.