Emby will not accept connections on the public port

MrUnorthodox

MrUnorthodox

Hello all!

First off, I apologize if this topic has been posted elsewhere, but I could not seem to find a solution that relates directly to my problem.

My Goal

Is to use my Apache web server as a proxy for all external connections.

In other words, I want emby to run under my domain (E.g. app.example.com/emby)

My Setup

I have a dedicated box running Windows 7, this is where Emby is running. Then, in a virtual machine (same box) I have a Ubuntu install that runs my Apache web server.

My Problem

Emby (seems) to refuse all incoming connections on the public port (8096).

After spending multiple hours tinkering with my Apache server, I eventually tried to just to connect to the server directly using it's internal IP and the port number 8096 (i.e. I punched 192.168.x.xxx:8096 into the browser on both the box itself, and my personal computer). Each case gave me "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".

Things I've tried thus far

• I've checked using a different port for the public port (4141)
  • I've checked the firewall, there is an inbound entry for 8096
  • Disabling windows firewall completely (Just to see if it was the problem) 
  • Setting my Personal computers IP in the Whitelist of Emby (With the filtering mode set to 'Whitelist')
  • I've also followed the Connectivity guide to try and at least get things connected via my public IP.

My Configs

Here is the 'advanced' section of Emby

Here are the entries for Emby in the Windows firewall.

• I've also followed the Connectivity guide to try and at least get things connected via my public IP.

And, when you did that, at which step did it fail?

Emby isn't refusing connections.  Something in the network configuration is.

MrUnorthodox

And, when you did that, at which step did it fail?

Emby isn't refusing connections.  Something in the network configuration is.

So, before allowing the port through the firewall, I would receive the error "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" however, after allowing it through, the error changes to "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".

I assume the point of failure is in the firewall. But, as I stated in my OP, disabling the firewall still gives me "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".

Disabling a firewall will not always just open everything up - especially if you are on Windows.

If you follow our connectivity guide we advise not to disable windows firewall because it often causes more harm than good.

Try reverting any advanced emby settings to default, including the whitelist. That is a filtering setting - filter, meaning its not something you would use to solve a connection problem. Using this will only further restrict traffic.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.