Two questions regarding transcoding and loading external subtitle

somy
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

somy

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's related to Emby server or Kodi plugin so please forgive me if I publish in a wrong forum!

I have Emby server version 3.4.1 on QNAP NAS, and KODI 17 on iMac with latest version of Emby plugin.

The plugin has the following settings:

• Playback mode: Add-on
  • Force HTTP: Off
  • Video quality: highest 1000MB

The video I tried to play has bitrate 10514 kbps and an external srt subtitle.

Question 1) It seems to me that transcoding is enabled when playing the video in Kodi - not sure why (the bitrate is much lower than the threshold). Noticed that when starting the video Kodi asked for selecting the external subtitle, is it the reason why Emby wants to transcode? I'd like to understand when Emby transcodes under add-on playback mode. 

Question 2) I then tried to disable transcoding by exclude h264 codec, it worked but now I got problem with the external subtitle. For some reason Kodi could see it and allow me to enable/disable it, however during playback it didn't show the subtitle.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Edited by somy

somy

Thank you for your reply!

I don't want to post the log file as it contains lots of info about user and server name.

However I looked into the log myself and believe I found the reason why Emby transcode the video (which could also be the reason why subtitle not displayed when transcode is disabled):

TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported

So the question: what does it mean by Subtitle codec not supported? The subtitle has the codec SSA.

Edited by somy

Angelblue05

pm then :)

Or you can paste your play info that should appear in your Kodi log. It's just so I can determine why it's even going down the transcode route.

somy

pm then :)

Or you can paste your play info that should appear in your Kodi log. It's just so I can determine why it's even going down the transcode route.

Send you the log file by PM - wasn't aware that's an option :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Angelblue05

@@somy

I apologize, I have been super busy with Alexa. But can you send me another message because I didn't get your original message. Someone made me aware that my mailbox was full. :(