Speed up NextPVR

arrbee99

arrbee99

So server log 1 (.....7164.txt), tried playing a dvb-s channel using the standard NPVR plugin and then the same channel from an m3u list.

Server log 2 (embyserver.txt), as above but using the probing NPVR plugin.

ffmpeg-transcods also produced by the dozen, times ranging from 14:41 to 14:44 and 14:46 to 14:49. a few examples attached.

Think something got corrupted / buggered up somewhere with those old channels being kept and some timeouts with logs saying 20000ms waits amongst other stuff.

embyserver-63664757164.txt

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0562572e-bed2-44e2-9163-892d91ee63ae.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-f21c416e-118d-4c83-9145-50fba8e391f4.txt

arrbee99

did you configure your slashes wrong in the plugin? 

http:\\192...

So after fixing dumb mistake no. 37...repeated stuff from post #26. Didn't make much apparent difference...significantly fewer ffmpg-transcodes though.

embyserver-63664762212.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-afcf85b8-9035-4b73-875f-57ddc3a619c2.txt

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-dd8f231d-8fec-4802-8719-6b49dce49c14.txt

http://192.168.1.240:8866/live?channeloid=7392&client=MB3.2: Unknown error

That looks like the problem.

arrbee99

Duh, Mistake no.38. Assuming its to do with what you just posted above, finally noticed that the 1.240 should now be 1.50, as per info on home page of dashboard. Don't know why it changed as it been .240 for ages, but hey ho there you go.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, touch wood,I can actually do a bit of comparing between probing and not probing plugins now...

arrbee99

So had a go on the Fire TV using beta 1.6.03 and latest Server beta 3.4.1.16 on Windows.

All tuning to the same dvb-s channel, SD resolution, all using downmix to stereo on Fire TV -

NextPVR plugin, no probing -

Fire TV settings -

Direct Stream - NO, Prefer MPV - NO. Start times 25sec, 15sec, 14sec. Fire TV says Exo player, transcode.

Direct Stream YES, Prefer MPV - NO. Start times 26sec, 26 sec, 25sec. Fire TV says Exo player, transcode.

Direct Stream NO, Prefer MPV YES. Start times 18sec, 17sec, 15sec. Fire TV says MPV player, transcode.

Direct Stream YES, Prefer MPV YES. Start times 39sec, 11sec, 29sec. 11 sec. Fire TV says MPV player, transcode.

On stats for nerds on FTV very little info showing under Original Media Info

NextPVR plugin, probing -

Fire TV settings -

Direct Stream - NO, Prefer MPV - NO. Start times won't play, won't play. Server says Direct Playing.

Direct Stream YES, Prefer MPV - NO. Start times won't play, 12sec, 9sec, 9sec. Server says Direct Playing. Fire TV says Exo player, Direct.

Direct Stream NO, Prefer MPV YES. Start times 30sec, 18sec, 14sec, 14sec. Server says Direct Streaming. Fire TV says MPV player, Remux (for audio).

Direct Stream YES, Prefer MPV YES. Start times 7sec, 8sec, 8sec, 8sec. Server says Direct Playing. Fire TV says MPV player, Direct.

On stats for nerds on FTV all info showing under Original Media Info

Server log .....9450.txt is for the no probing session, from about 10:26.

Server log .....0914.txt is for the probing session, from about 10:52.

Not sure if you want any transcoding logs, there's quite a few.

Some of the times are still pretty slow, but probing does seem to make them faster and there's much more Direct Playing as well.

embyserver-63664829450.txt

embyserver-63664830914.txt

arrbee99

Well that's good to see that it's playing.

True, thought I see there were 3 probing errors in the logs, presumably corresponding to those three 'won't play' episodes.. Don't know if it would be a pattern thats going to be there for those particular Fire TV settings, or just random failure of communication. Will have to see I guess.

Still, if there's a way to make it a bit quicker in general...

Didn't you or someone else measure direct next pvr url to vlc at roughly 7 seconds? I recall someone saying that. So when our app with mpv is direct playing to a next pvr url, that's a comparable example.

arrbee99

Didn't you or someone else measure direct next pvr url to vlc at roughly 7 seconds? I recall someone saying that. So when our app with mpv is direct playing to a next pvr url, that's a comparable example.

Good point. Yes. True. Think it was me as well. Direct streaming using mpv seems to work pretty well (and maybe I'm jealous of those with HomeRuns who I think have mentioned times of one or two seconds), but I believe transcoding needs to be on to do this time shifting thing and its somewhat less than rapid.

Sorry, I realise its easy for me to sit here and say 'yes but', and 'is it possible', etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
arrbee99

I think generally its much better / more stable for me with those 7 second times and getting media info (though it would be better if faster, someway, somehow). Sometimes it just won't start a channel, but that also happened before with previous plugins as well, possibly more so on Fire TV where it will time out.

The plugin above has only been downloaded 3 times though and I'm only on SD channels using a pci-e card and dvb-s. Hopefully others will find an improvement as well using other methods. Maybe you could announce as a new thread the probing plugin is available as a test please download to try etc...

Would you like more logs, especially from fire TV ?

arrbee99

Just wondering, the recent release of the plugin (3.2.7 I think), is identical to the one posted back in post #24 ?

• 5 weeks later...

How does probing help for audio when it changes on channels during advertisements?

For example I start recording and it starts with an advertisement that is stereo but then 2 minutes later the show/movie starts and it uses 5.1?  7 minutes in a set of commercials are on and are again stereo.

Or Recording a Latino station where track one is Spanish but again when recording starts it's a commercial and this commercial is in English?

I see both of these things quite often over the years in recordings.

Video, on the other hand is almost always Mpeg2, H.264 or H.265 of a specific resolution with the same interlace/non-interlace used all the time.