Active video has small gap on side and bottom of screen

PrincessClevage

ShoutingMan

i have been running this setup for a while now and quite happy with it after fixing live tv freezing issue (had deinterlace enabled in ET and also SVP,disabling it in svp fixed the issue). Movies play nice and smooth at 60fps and no longer requirement for frame rate switching. I have observed as others have pointed out that ET is not always full screen (even tho it looks like it is) and I have mapped Windows button + up arrow to a button on my remote until it gets sorted.

Does that SVP work with Emby? I'm not a fan of frame rate resamping from what I've seen before  (soap opera effect and/or visible judder). But if Emby can't fix the frame rate matching bugs, I may have to look for a new solution.

Guest asrequested

Does that SVP work with Emby? I'm not a fan of frame rate resamping from what I've seen before  (soap opera effect and/or visible judder). But if Emby can't fix the frame rate matching bugs, I may have to look for a new solution.

Did you try the hack?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59225-active-video-has-small-gap-on-side-and-bottom-of-screen/?p=627747

PrincessClevage

Does that SVP work with Emby? I'm not a fan of frame rate resamping from what I've seen before (soap opera effect and/or visible judder). But if Emby can't fix the frame rate matching bugs, I may have to look for a new solution.

Yes but needs the paid version and manual setup. I don’t see any soap opera effect at all

stettler

Which bug? Frame rate switching work just fine with either the original lua script or the one that is part of ET.

There is a problem with Electron/ET/Windows that may result in judder, even with the correct frame rate, but I posted several time how to work around it.

stettler

To fix the "small gap"? Overscanning the window to try to mask it isn't a solution: If you do that, your window doesn't have the correct size and the video is resized (not counting that the width of the gap depend on the window decoration). The window need to be correctly maximized (and I provided a workaround to do it if ET won't)

• Like 1

dan-the-man

Greetings

First time emby user, am considering switching from plex, have been trying out all the apps, i was nearly ready to pull the plug on plex and sign up to emby, but found this issue, and its a bit of a deal breaker to be honest,

so im a litte bit disappointed

Emby Theatre on Windows 10 1803 with Nvidia GT1030 @ 4k resolution.  default settings apart from "change refresh rate to match video" been enabled, which is a must have.

playing back any video its exactly like this screenshot below  (i dont have this problem with plex media player which is also mpv - and some other players like openpht/kodi/vlc on the same machine)

anyway i just wanted to give this feedback as to why i wont be switching to emby at this point, it would be nice if the basic things like video playback just worked nicely when your a first time user

Kind Regards,

5be9e2fb85640_Photos_20181113_091933.png

I get the same issue on my setup, just wondering if anyone's made any progress on a proper fix, rather than just a hack.

echoxxzz

This may be a long shot but I also had all these issues with Emby on my Intel NUC until I reinstalled Windows using the latest Windows Enterprise LTSC 1809 N.

This version of Windows is completely stripped down by Microsoft and has no Windows Store access or any Universal apps so it's very light weight.

BTW it only worked using Windows N (ie. no Windows Media player/extensions) so this maybe a clue to the problem we've been seeing. 

Now every problem is gone and so far everything is working perfectly (keeping my fingers crossed).

I can put my NUC to sleep and now when it wakes up no more blue borders or the taskbar taking the focus.

I no longer have to hack the registry to prevent Emby getting resized when I wake my NUC.

I didn't have to do anything with the Emby settings other then I enabled H/W acceleration.

I'm using the latest version of Emby Theatre pulled from Git and I haven't touched the Electron version and so far so good .

For those that want to give this option a try I have posted the pre-activated ISO that I used on my Google Drive (I assume this doesn't violate a policy linking to another site).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i--vw7y74pMR_dzm3W_JC0cWL-UJgRqQ

Edited by echoxxzz

dan-the-man

Please unzip this file, and replace main.js in your installation with this version and see if it resolves it. Thanks.

i tried it, did not resolve the issue

regards,

ShoutingMan

Not yet. I bought an NVidia Shield and am trying it out. 

You realize that you have all the mpv options to make interpolation, more smooth? 

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-scale

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-tscale

Fundamentally, I don't want to interpolate and make video more smooth. I want 24p to look like 24p: for movies to look like movies. Regardless, when I last tried the frame interpolation on my HTPC with Intel IGP, it didn't look good. Obvious hiccups or judder or whatever.

Which bug? Frame rate switching work just fine with either the original lua script or the one that is part of ET.

There is a problem with Electron/ET/Windows that may result in judder, even with the correct frame rate, but I posted several time how to work around it.

Frame rate matching causes the window to resize and reposition with Electron from the past 12 months or so. That's what this whole thread is about.

To work around, I've had to manually install and manually maintain an outdated version of Electron, sacrificing UI smoothness to prevent the frame-rate matching induced window resizing problem.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Fundamentally, I don't want to interpolate and make video more smooth. I want 24p to look like 24p: for movies to look like movies. Regardless, when I last tried the frame interpolation on my HTPC with Intel IGP, it didn't look good. Obvious hiccups or judder or whatever.

I only mentioned it because you were asking about SVP, which is what that does. It's for smooth motion, and nothing to do with frame rate switching.

• Like 1

stettler

Frame rate matching causes the window to resize and reposition with Electron from the past 12 months or so. That's what this whole thread is about.

To work around, I've had to manually install and manually maintain an outdated version of Electron, sacrificing UI smoothness to prevent the frame-rate matching induced window resizing problem.

This thread is about the small gap (wrong window size/position). That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

The workaround I am using is a custom lua script to minimize/maximize the ET window just before starting playing a video.

daedalus

That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

never saw this apart from framerate switching

• Like 1

stettler

never saw this apart from framerate switching

That can happen when the computer go to/out of sleep. Or when the display device is turned off/on especially if it doesn't have a edid chip. Or when you start ET and it isn't really in full screen. It happens each time Windows change the geometry of the display for whatever reason: Normally, applications that are in full screen should stay in full screen and, with ET interface, it looks like it is the case. But ET isn't really anymore in full screen: it's just taking the whole screen. When starting playing a video, Electron make a mess and the window it use is somewhat of.

AdrianW

So, ET updates itself to 3.0.5 and broke this yet again. (i.e. the gaps are back at the RHS and bottom when switching refresh rates).

I can't apply the setsize fix as the code in main.js has changed. So, what's the solution now?

AdrianW

I had to replace electron with version 1.8.7 again - so it's back to the slow jerky interface but a least there's no gap at the edge of the video.

AdrianW

For some reason ET stopped loading entirely for me today. It may have been something to do with the old electron version.

After the var bounds you could do something like bounds.height +=3; and same for width.

I tried this suggestion, and adding 6 to both dimensions fixes the issue (well "works-around" the issue is more accurate).

The resulting video looks good. I took screenshots of the test pattern I posted earlier, and it lines up correctly with the original.

Edited by AdrianW

ShoutingMan

I only mentioned it because you were asking about SVP, which is what that does. It's for smooth motion, and nothing to do with frame rate switching.

You're right. And while I would rather have absolute frame-rate matching, I'm open to quality frame interpolation routines. But I haven't had time to try out SVP or other options. And with the Shield price drop to $140, I'm trying it out as a new theater front end, and letting go of ET Windows as my player. This looks like a simpler and less time consuming approach. I like Windows ET, but the vagaries of Windows have made it ultimately a non-friendly solution to my spouse and myself at times.

(And if the Shield works well, possibly-maybe then pulling the HTPC from the media room and turning it more into a dedicated server box.)

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

This thread is about the small gap (wrong window size/position). That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

The workaround I am using is a custom lua script to minimize/maximize the ET window just before starting playing a video.

What's the LUA script to resize the window? 

I only see this quirk with frame rate switching. If frame rate doesn't switch, the window doesn't change size. But I don't leave ET running 24/7. WIndows always changes resolution on my PC, resizing all the windows, after the display is turned off.

daveyravey1972

so i am running the latest build of emby theater and i have an issue with weird lines at the bottom of my projector screen. See images

Is this the same issue?  If i use Jriver or another playback device on the PC all is ok.

5bf97a6ed001d_emby.png