Active video has small gap on side and bottom of screen

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Hi there,

I have just applied win 10 latest update roll up and now when play any video content I get like 2mm bar on the right side of the screen and something similar at the bottom of the screen. This only occurs when playing video content and ET browsing looks normal. I have nvidia gt1030 with latest drivers and restarted emby server OS twice but still the same

• Like 2

PrincessClevage

Hi, I haven't seen this. Can you show a screenshot? thanks.

There is about 2mm on the right and about 1mm on the bottoms which is hard to see from the photo cdb7d3dae96d26073c890f3655fa247a.jpgc6fa0345eff364ca1f9cd3d4411f6d10.jpgf9756f124f809c086ba58b2b7c8dc6f2.jpg

AdrianW

Same happening to me. Only started today on 3.0.1.

Running fullscreen UI, start a video and the video runs with a 3 pixel gap at the right and bottom edges. Minimizing and maximizing the screen will fix it until starting playback of the next video.

It's only happening on my NUC connected to my TV. Running on my desktop connected to a monitor and I don't get the issue.

I tried playback of 1080, 720 and even 480 anamorphic videos (my TV is 1080) and all video sizes end up displaying with the 3 pixel gap at the right and bottom edges.

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

Here's a fullsize screenshot:

(This one is a 1280x720 video playing back at 1920x1080)

5b04328314eb4_Screenshot3.jpg

Edited by AdrianW

PrincessClevage

Here's a fullsize screenshot:

(This one is a 1280x720 video playing back at 1920x1080)

5b04328314eb4_Screenshot3.jpg

this screenshot is a better example

Earlier today a component we rely on called electron released version 2.02, and it mentions some fix for frameless transparent windows.

So what you could do is download this file: https://github.com/electron/electron/releases/download/v2.0.2/electron-v2.0.2-win32-x64.zip

And then locate the Emby-Theater install folder and overwrite the electron installation with the new version. I would test this myself but I can't reproduce the problem.

PrincessClevage

Earlier today a component we rely on called electron released version 2.02, and it mentions some fix for frameless transparent windows.

So what you could do is download this file: https://github.com/electron/electron/releases/download/v2.0.2/electron-v2.0.2-win32-x64.zip

And then locate the Emby-Theater install folder and overwrite the electron installation with the new version. I would test this myself but I can't reproduce the problem.

Does the link provided work for any one?

AdrianW

I've downloaded that zip file - and replaced the content of: ...\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron 

Is that correct spot? Nothing needs changing in the "electronapp" folder or the ...\data\electron folder?

Anyway, it made no difference, I still have the 3 pixel gaps at the right and bottom.

I installed the latest test version (from Theater mpv test) and that one doesn't have the issue! So, I wonder what's different there.

AdrianW

Does the link provided work for any one?

Yes - once the page has opened there's a download button at the far top right.

Actually, I think it depends if you're signed into dropbox or not - on one PC the file downloaded immediately on another I got a listing of the contents of the zip file and a download button.

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

I installed the latest test version (from Theater mpv test) and that one doesn't have the issue! So, I wonder what's different there.

So, I talked too soon. I started changing the video settings in the test version and after I set "Change display rate to match video" the gaps came back - but what's weird is that if then uncheck that setting the gaps still occur. 

If I leave "Change display rate to match video" off, exit and re-enter ET, then the gaps don't occur. If I then turn the setting back on the gaps appear the first time the refresh rate changes. 

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

It's strange that, so far, it's only the two of us reporting this issue.

Guest asrequested

I would think that most people don't use refresh rate switching. That seems to be where the issue, stems from.

AdrianW

This is unlikely to be related to the video gaps, but it's only just started happening as well - today watching two episodes with DD+ audio tracks (which is bitstreamed to my receiver) - I had the audio dropout for a split second 3 or 4 times.

(There was a windows update today: KB4100403, but no idea if that's related)

Edited by AdrianW

serpi

I've encountered the same with the last ET version (updated yesterday).

It seems, when the video doesn't fit the screen (no 16:9) there is a little bit from the desktop shining through at the black borders, but maybe it was everywhere.

Just set your Windows desktop to a bright color and you should see it (I'm using Windows 10 64Bit in tablet mode for the htpc).

I noticed little borders in the right lower corner, just where by backdrop has a light spot.

After setting the desktop to simple black, the border wasn't visible anymore.

Also there happened these small audio drops, maybe once or twice in a movie.

It was a movie with AC3 5.1, I'm using AC3 passthrough with hdmi on an AMD APU board (A4-5000), no problems before.

I might try the content from the zip file later...

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

AdrianW

Also there happened these small audio drops, maybe once or twice in a movie.

OK, so that's two of us (at least) with audio dropouts.

serpi

OK, I've played a little bit.

Running ET 3.0.1, Windows Desktop 1920x1080, 60Hz.

Playing 24p video, display rate switching enabled, there's the border at the right and bottom:

5b07225d78115_itsagap.jpg

Disabling frame rate switching and restarting ET gives no border, as long as I do not re-enable frame rate switching, than the border will even stay after re-disabling it, until I restart ET.

Replacing the electron folder with the one from the link above gives the same effect (only tested with switching).

But running the eletron version  from ET 3.0.0 (from the system.old folder) doesn't have that effect, no border with or without frame rate switching - but I had to reenable frame sync etc. as most of the settings where gone.

So yes, it seems, it's something about the frame rate switching, maybe with the forced pause for switching (BTW: can this disabled somewhere?).

For the moment, I will see if my low powered box will handle playing the videos smoothly without frame rate switching, if not, I will revert to the older electron.

And let's see aout the audio drops...

Ciao, Alfred

daedalus

over 2 month ago

video settings work @ new build

other observations

first  it finally maintains its window size after refresh rate change, but now the whole window gets shifted some pixel to the up left after refresh rate change and comes back to its normal position when you exit playback and it switches refresh rate back

attachicon.gifUnbenannt.png

^ (original resolution is 1920x1080) the blue pixels on bottom & right are my wallpaper that gets visible after refresh rate change

second  once started in fullscreen, windowed also stays at the fullscreen size, this and the fact that it can only resized by dragging the bottom or left makes it very hard to ever resize again

daedalus

So yes, it seems, it's something about the frame rate switching, maybe with the forced pause for switching (BTW: can this disabled somewhere?).

i think this is a false implementation of refresh rate switching

switching should take place and be finished before the file gets loaded, often mentioned, never minded

OK, I've played a little bit.

Running ET 3.0.1, Windows Desktop 1920x1080, 60Hz.

Playing 24p video, display rate switching enabled, there's the border at the right and bottom:

5b07225d78115_itsagap.jpg

Disabling frame rate switching and restarting ET gives no border, as long as I do not re-enable frame rate switching, than the border will even stay after re-disabling it, until I restart ET.

Replacing the electron folder with the one from the link above gives the same effect (only tested with switching).

But running the eletron version  from ET 3.0.0 (from the system.old folder) doesn't have that effect, no border with or without frame rate switching - but I had to reenable frame sync etc. as most of the settings where gone.

For the moment, I will see if my low powered box will handle playing the videos smoothly without frame rate switching, if not, I will revert to the older electron.

And let's see aout the audio drops...

Ciao, Alfred

You could try a much older electron build and see what happens, like the one from 3.0.

AdrianW

You could try a much older electron build and see what happens, like the one from 3.0.

Isn't that exactly what he said here:

But running the eletron version  from ET 3.0.0 (from the system.old folder) doesn't have that effect, no border with or without frame rate switching

Edited by AdrianW