Live TV DVR doesn't remux to MKV, naming convention changed 3.4.1.0

lifespeed

lifespeed

What happened to the Live TV DVR function in the last server release?  The folders in the TV library are now named TV show (2018) instead of TV Show, so now I have new series recordings split across two folders.  I can recombine them if this is the naming convention going forward, not a huge deal, but it did cause some confusion.

A bigger problem is the shows are no longer remuxed to MKV container on the fly, and I no longer am able to find the configuration for this feature in Emby Server.  Was the feature removed?  If so, why?  I thought MKV was preferred to TS for use in these applications.

Edited by lifespeed
  • Like 1

lifespeed

Great, so it looks like the server will no longer automatically record Live TV to MKV on the fly.  But I can manually click on every TV episode it has already recorded to TS and transcode a duplicate file to occupy more HDD space.

I thought MKV was preferred to TS for use in these applications.

MKV is preferred, however the on the fly recording process has not been reliable to continue moving forward with. You'll get a much better result by converting after the recording has completed.

lifespeed

MKV is preferred, however the on the fly recording process has not been reliable to continue moving forward with. You'll get a much better result by converting after the recording has completed.

Understood.  Would the experience still be acceptable simply leaving the recordings in TS format and allowing the server (i7-6800K) to transcode for non-PC clients?  I assume only Android and iOS clients will need transcoding instead of direct play.

lifespeed

My only other comment is the ability to remux the original audio to transcoded h.264 video, as well as having the option to replace the original file vs. keep both would be nice.

Yes we will definitely be expanding on the options in future releases. thanks.

jasonmcroy

Understood.  Would the experience still be acceptable simply leaving the recordings in TS format and allowing the server (i7-6800K) to transcode for non-PC clients?  I assume only Android and iOS clients will need transcoding instead of direct play.

Just to give you my experience with playback of .ts files on an Android device (Nvidia Shield) the server doesn't do a full transcode, it will just do a remux of the file so there is barely any load on the server.

On my Samsung tablet it will actually direct play the file sometimes so there is then no load on the server. 

That has at least been my experience so far. 

Guest asrequested

Just to give you my experience with playback of .ts files on an Android device (Nvidia Shield) the server doesn't do a full transcode, it will just do a remux of the file so there is barely any load on the server.

On my Samsung tablet it will actually direct play the file sometimes so there is then no load on the server. 

That has at least been my experience so far. 

That's because Exoplayer doesn't support MPEG-TS when not in an HLS. So the server has to provide that. Which it does, with ease. That's why Live TV is fine, but not recordings.

https://google.github.io/ExoPlayer/supported-formats.html

I'm not liking the Exoplayer.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

That's because Exoplayer doesn't support MPEG-TS when not in an HLS. So the server has to provide that. Which it does, with ease. That's why Live TV is fine, but not recordings.

https://google.github.io/ExoPlayer/supported-formats.html

I'm not liking the Exoplayer.

Can you explain what "MPEG-TS when not in an HLS." means? What is HLS? 

I ask because I was playing around with Plex the other day on my Shield and found out that their app can direct play .ts files. There is no transcoding or remuxing at all and I couldn't figure out what the difference could be.

EDIT: I found what it means.

Edited by jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the link. 

Yes, I think Plex is using MPV, but not positive on that.

Guest asrequested

This is why I prefer HTPCs. Although, in the Android TV testing, mpv is being implemented. But a long way from ready.

lifespeed

@@lifespeed I asked this last week. Went back to using MCE Buddy to convert my recordings to MKV

That's an interesting option, although I am trying to understand if there is much benefit to converting from TS.  The only thing I can think of is file size will be smaller relative to MPEG2 video, which may be worthwhile if the recording will be saved long term.  For playback then delete, I can't see where the conversion would be important.

drakus72

I just use MCE Buddy to do a fast convert to MKV (Basically just changing the container), no file size change. If you are using HD Homerun's set the Transcode profile to mobile & it will transcode it down to 720p @ ~3MBs & heavy is 1080p @ ~7MBs

lifespeed

I just use MCE Buddy to do a fast convert to MKV (Basically just changing the container), no file size change. If you are using HD Homerun's set the Transcode profile to mobile & it will transcode it down to 720p @ ~3MBs & heavy is 1080p @ ~7MBs

As far as I know there are no issues with my PC or Android mobile clients direct-playing TS files.  Of course iOS devices always need transcoding, but they're a minority in my house and the server can easily handle the load.  While MKV is a better container, if TS doesn't cause problems it seems like an unnecessary extra step.  Maybe this is a case of specific individual devices and a low-powered server?  I use HDHR4-2US tuners, I did not want or need transcoding in the tuner.

Edited by lifespeed

Some video players will have difficulty seeking .ts files. For maximum portability we suggest mkv and mp4.

• 4 weeks later...
SWKerr

I have been very disappointed with the change in the DVR to no longer record to a mkv or mp4.
I have 2 HDHR extends that now output *ts files with h264 video and the play back pretty much sucks everywhere.

The skip\seek performance is just bad with these files on every system I use.

You recommend that we convert to mkv or mp4 but don't offer a way to automate the conversion.

It now looks like I need to go back to MCE buddy or some other command line scripting to do a conversion.  (Something I have had to do in the past)  
I fail to see how this approach was an improvement.  

Edited by SWKerr
  • Like 1

Remuxing on the fly proved to be very problematic, including loss of secondary audio, subtitles, and resulting in video files that may have trouble playing on some video players.

We have replaced this with a media converting feature that allows you to convert to mkv after the recording has completed. This is a much more stable option.

jasonmcroy

Remuxing on the fly proved to be very problematic, including loss of secondary audio, subtitles, and resulting in video files that may have trouble playing on some video players.

We have replaced this with a media converting feature that allows you to convert to mkv after the recording has completed. This is a much more stable option.

But Luke, it doesn't convert to MKV, it converts to MP4 with AAC audio. I have tried this numerous times, changed the settings, etc. It always converts the same way with no control over it and it takes over an hour with 50-80% cpu usage the way it is currently implemented. You have told me in the past when I brought this up to change the settings. It doesn't matter what settings are changed the result is always the same and is why I quit trying to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying "I need this implemented right this minute!" because I know you guys are busy as hell and I appreciate what you have done so far. But you keep saying it converts to MKV when I can't get it to do that and keep the original audio without changing it to ACC.

This feature would be really incredible and a step WAY ahead of any other app I have used if this were the case. 

hstamas

Any word on when this will happen automatically @@Luke with the original TS file being deleted along the way? I cant update to v3.4 until this happens as I cant afford the time nor space requirements to do a manual conversion and deletion.

The next release will have an option to replace the original file when converting.