Subtitles doesn't change when I use the select of languages

theghost31

theghost31
Hi

I will try to describe a problem that sometimes I get. But I'm not sure of the problem with subtitles, so I will try to describe it for you.

All my tests are with episodes / movies  in MULTI so multiple languages for audio and subtitles. I don't use external subtitles.

When I use the web app and that I start a movie or tv show. I think the subtitles doesn't load or maybe it's just that we have only the subtitles for the initial state. I'm not sure, I don't know because I don't have this issue everytime, and when I want reproduce the problem I don't have it ...

What I try to describe it's if subtitles option is on "OFF" then sometimes after 20seconds of the episode, when I decide to choose "FR" or "EN" as language, I have nothing as subtitles...

Sometimes I have "FR" as subtitle by default at the begin of episode, and when I decide to get "EN" I have nothing but if put again "FR", I get the FR subtitles

To fix this problem I do "F5" (refresh of the page) and eveything works again.

IDEA1: Not sure, but I use the most of times a transcodage of the video. So maybe the part which is transcoded (30 seconds = 40% of the episode in cache) is without or with the default language and it's only the rest of the episode that will have my choose of the subtitle ? But I don't want wait 20min to know if my suggestion is exact or not ...

If you have an idea told me :)

BTW: AS you can see in the picture in attachment, I selected "Autoriser l'extraction des sous-titres à la volée", in english, something like "Allow on the fly, the extraction of the subtitles"
Is it a source of problem ? Let me know if you need some others information.

Thank you 

post-312057-0-29759500-1526828936_thumb.png

emby.log

Edited by theghost31

If they are embedded subtitles then yes it could be that the extraction is taking a long time.

theghost31

Like what ? because few seconds OK but If I need to wait some minutes it's like an issue for me :)

Do you have any workaround ?

Why on the next refresh everything works well ? I can switch on the fly without any issue.

Edited by theghost31

For some files the extraction process can take a long time. You can try unchecking the option to allow on the fly extraction. If you do this, then we'll burn them in with server transcoding, which can also hit your CPU pretty hard, so you may not like that.

The best solution of all would be to acquire external text-based subtitles. Our subtitle downloading feature can help with that.

theghost31

Ok thank you! I tried to uncheck the option but the episode get the loading spinner during one minute at least, I didn't wait more for the begin of the episode so I checked again this option which seems to be neccessary

Do you think my conf is good about the transcodage ? The intel option can give me some trouble or is it impossible ? Cf attachment 

Thank you 

post-312057-0-99090400-1526856549_thumb.png

Edited by theghost31

Burning in subtitles can be very expensive. Can your CPU even handle this?

theghost31

When you say: "Burning in subtitles can be very expensive", about what option is it linked ? 

My CPU is not very powerful, it's a I5 7260U

When I check the option, the CPU is burning during 5 minutes at 95% ( in the UI, I can see the red line completed ) after that, the CPU is in IDLE because the transcodage is finished I guess

Edited by theghost31

When you say: "Burning in subtitles can be very expensive", about what option is it linked ? 

There isn't really an option, it's something that we only do as a last resort when there's no other way to play the subtitles. When you unchecked the option to allow extraction on the fly, that's when it tried to burn them in because there was no other way to play those subtitles.

Again the best solution of all would be to acquire external text-based subtitles. Our subtitle downloading feature can help with that.

theghost31

"Again the best solution of all would be to acquire external text-based subtitles. Our subtitle downloading feature can help with that."

Is it an option which didn't work with all episodes / movies because OpenSubtitle or an other tool can't find the version available for the episode ? 

I already lived that, and I don't want again have to search myself the subtitles compatible with my episode :/ that's why I have only MULTI in my huge database ( thousand episodes )

Maybe I have wrong with your external tools but I scared to have this issue ;)

"There isn't really an option, it's something that we only do as a last resort when there's no other way to play the subtitles. When you unchecked the option to allow extraction on the fly, that's when it tried to burn them in because there was no other way to play those subtitles."

That's why I have only a spinner during a long long time before the begin of the episode ? Even if the CPU is running only at 40% during this step of the loading ? 

Edited by theghost31

Is it an option which didn't work with all episodes / movies because OpenSubtitle or an other tool can't find the version available for the episode ? 

Explore the subtitle downloading settings. The defaults are conservative to make sure we get good subtitles for your video files. If you disable the perfect match requirement, you'll get more downloads but they might be out of sync.

The other option is you can try to limit your playback to Emby apps that fully support embedded subtitles, such as Emby Theater for example. When the app supports embedded subtitles, there's no extraction needed, and no burning in needed.

theghost31

OK thank you even if I have some difficulty to understand.

This part:

The other option is you can try to limit your playback to Emby apps that fully support embedded subtitles, such as Emby Theater for example. When the app supports embedded subtitles, there's no extraction needed, and no burning in needed.

Theater is only for windows, I don't understand this option that you suggest me. How can I limit the playback that fully supported embedded subtitles. My apologies :)

Edited by theghost31

Well if you're on Linux there is emby for Kodi. Or on Android our Android apps.

theghost31

Ah yes indeed sorry, I didn't had understand what is emby theater, of course I use Kodi :)

But sometimes, in some situations, I just want use emby web :)

So if I want summarize the options. I can uncheck the option about the extraction of the subtitles on the fly, but everything will be slow to start or transcode without a better Cpu.

I can use your tool about subtitles which avoid a huge use of cpu. furthermore, the switch of subtitles will works everytime and quickly.

Then, if I let the option about the extraction on the fly. Sometimes, the subtitles will put some times to be showed? Sorry to repeat me at this subject but why sometimes it's really Instant / Direct without any interruption to switch of subtitle and sometimes it's not like that, like more than one minute! It's just at least 60x more slower than the same playback on the next refresh of the emby web... It's weird to me to understand why it's not always the same thing, behavior. It's like for me, an issue which appeared sometimes randomly ')

Then, if I let the option about the extraction on the fly. Sometimes, the subtitles will put some times to be showed?

It depends. The extraction process has to read the entire video, so it's only CPU but it also depends on the speed of your disk I/O. On a fast environment it can take seconds, but on others it can take minutes.

theghost31

OK I get it (I think)  :). Is it only the Emby server which is focused about HDD / CPU ? The client is not concerned by this process ? 

And I don't know if it's wanted or not but, the rest of my sentence isn't disturb you ?

"why sometimes it's really Instant / Direct without any interruption to switch of subtitles and sometimes it's not like that, it can take more than one minute! It's just at least 60x more slower than the same playback on the next refresh of the emby website... It's weird to me to try understand why it's not always the same thing / same behavior. It's like for me, an issue which appears sometimes randomly ') "
Edited by theghost31

theghost31

ok even if it's the same video everytime ?
If it's normal, I don't continue to annoy with that :)
Thank you ! 

Edited by theghost31

theghost31

Last questions about this thread:

I see again this comment: "The other option is you can try to limit your playback to Emby apps that fully support embedded subtitles, such as Emby Theater for example. When the app supports embedded subtitles, there's no extraction needed, and no burning in needed."

Is it right / exact even if I say at Kodi to run only in 720p(4Mb/s) for example, knowing that the episode is in 1080p by default ? A burning will be necessary, isn't it  ? 

And 

"
Explore the subtitle downloading settings. The defaults are conservative to make sure we get good subtitles for your video files. If you disable the perfect match requirement, you'll get more downloads but they might be out of sync."

Is it an option applied on Kodi ? I'm mean if your tools find two subtitles (fr / en) in more of the originals, what subtitles will be loaded in Kodi ? 
FOR EMBY WEB: And you told me, if a subtitle found from somewhere is exact with my episode, it will be used without any issue about missing / loading of subtitles during the switch between EN / FR ?
BTW what is the option used to know if an episode is matching with mine ? I renamed all the episodes with my own scheme so I hope it's with the MD5 or something like that :)

Edited by theghost31

Is it right / exact even if I say at Kodi to run only in 720p(4Mb/s) for example, knowing that the episode is in 1080p by default ? A burning will be necessary, isn't it  ? 

yes you're right. I would leave Kodi on automatic or max setting.

BTW what is the option used to know if an episode is matching with mine ? I renamed all the episodes with my own scheme so I hope it's with the MD5 or something like that 

Yes it's a hash.

• 7 months later...