Improve metadata load times for LiveTV

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Hi there,

I have poor internet connection speed and some times it can take 10seconds+ to load show images etc for the LiveTV view in ET. I am using nextpvr plugin as it seems to give the most image bling (auto fetch from the internet and creates a local cache of images) , is it possible to have a setting in ET for caching ahead +xyz hours of metadata and images based on guide data provided at the time? I believe guide data from icetv is only updated once daily around 5pm

• Like 1

Where are the images coming from? Have you compared to emby built in live tv?

PrincessClevage

Where are the images coming from? Have you compared to emby built in live tv?

Nextpvr cached image directory

You can override the artwork by updating the cached files in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49040-force-download-of-tv-artwork/

Does the emby built in live tv cache guide metadata/images ahead of time ? What I would like to avoid is real time lookup as the live tv section can sometime take a long time to populate and all libraries load quickly

Edited by PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Metadata yes.

are images included in metadata? They seem to be the main contributor to slow load times

Images are on demand, and this is where you can get better performance by using Emby native live tv.

Let's look at the number of layers the images have to go through before you see them on screen:

Emby app requests image from Emby Server. Emby Server requests image from Next PVR. Next PVR requests image from internet URL.

That is a lot of work. Now let's look at Emby native live tv:

Emby app requests image from Emby Server. Emby Server requests image from internet URL.

Which as you can see removes an entire layer from the equation. Why are you using next pvr exactly?

PrincessClevage

Images are on demand, and this is where you can get better performance by using Emby native live tv.

Let's look at the number of layers the images have to go through before you see them on screen:

Emby app requests image from Emby Server. Emby Server requests image from Next PVR. Next PVR requests image from internet URL.
Emby app requests image from Emby Server. Emby Server requests image from internet URL.
Which as you can see removes an entire layer from the equation. Why are you using next pvr exactly?
Emby server does not detect my pci Hauppauge HVR-2200

PrincessClevage

Have you installed the latest WinTV software from Hauppauge?

i wasn’t aware it was a requirement for live tv in Emby. I am now waiting activation code ($13.75aud) from Hauppauge Edited by PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Sorry, I didn't mean to send you off to make a purchase. I would start with the latest drivers from here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support.html

Thanks.

i have now activated wintv and emby is now detecting the dvt turner. I will trial this and report on how it goes. What is the best way to add and remove channels from ET? I have attempted to untick several channels in win tv but seems to do nothing then I started to delete channels from wintv listing then delete tuner card from emby then re-add. Is this the best method? Edited by PrincessClevage

Guest asrequested

When you disable the channels, you'll probably need to run the guide scan in the server. So it picks up the changes.

PrincessClevage

When you disable the channels, you'll probably need to run the guide scan in the server. So it picks up the changes.

i did this several time but no change to channels listed in ET.

Guest asrequested

That means the server is still importing every channel. I don't have one of those cards, so I can't test. Is there an option in the tuner section of the server, to map channels? Maybe you can ommit channels, there?

PenkethBoy

@@PrincessClevage

With Hauppauge - if you dont want emby to pull in a channel you need to delete that channel in wintv - even unchecking it does not work

You will find that the native emby hauppauge support is significantly quicker than via NextPVR - images appear much quicker - direct from you epg provider - in my case schedules direct

only thing you wont get in emby is multichannel support

If you have queries about the setup etc drop me a line etc

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

So I have Emby native tv up and running with icetv epg provider. Emby native is faster to load images and metadata but still I think that an option to pre populate xyz hours ahead of the current time would help make the live tv section fit better with the rest of emby in relation to load times. As I stated before I have slow internet and it seems that movie images and others are downloaded in real-time making it some 10 seconds wait to populate the initial live tv splash screen sometimes. To alleviate hitting websites too much would a single bulk call per day for images be more suitable or possible perhaps?
  • Like 1

a single bulk call per day

Does IceTV even have such a thing?

PrincessClevage

Does IceTV even have such a thing?

With Nextpvr I used to use a script to download once per day and cache the metadata but I don’t think the fix is with ice tv as emby should have a list of all programmes once epg is downloaded and what i am requesting for emby to have a setting to allow to read ahead xyz hours of metadata and then does load relevant images from imdb etc xyz hours ahead of time