Playback of 7.1 audio

Tupsi

Tupsi

I am trying to get playback of 5.1/7.1 opus/truehd audio working native in the emby app, but so far I fail. The only way I see my receiver doing some sort of 7.1 at all is if I install kodi or spmc and set the emby app so it lets one of these apps handle the playback. 

When I try it without these inside the emby app, I always end up with "transcoding audio because playback device does not support it" which frankly is bs, as my receiver can playback all current audio formats.

Setting it up in kodi/spmc with android passthrough I end up with 7.1 multichannel pcm input at least, which is still not the raw audio stream, but at least 7.1 my receiver can put to use.

So the question is, does the emby app not support passthrough in any way on fire tv? If it does, someone please explain to me how its done. I really dont need that forced transcoding.

jaketame

Sounds similar to my issue, in that the Android App can’t detect the compatible audio.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58932-sony-xf90-ht-xf9000-directplay-issues/?view=getnewpost

Try;

Enable Debug logging on Android App

Play video

Send Debug logs, note time and video down

Disable transcoding for user in question

Play video

Send logs

Post here with time logs sent and what you played

Someone can check the log

Tupsi

ok, did the first part at 17:35 UTC,

tried playing an mkv file with vp9 video and 5.1 opus.

tried playing an mkv file with vp9 video and 7.1 opus, switched that to 2nd audio track 7.1 truehd(atmos).

all tries resulting in "audio getting transcoded" to 5.1 (which btw. has a wrong coding to it (side channels gets badly mixed).

can you give me a hint how to do the 2nd part please? where can I disable transcoding for a specific user?

edit: found it

Edited by Tupsi

Tupsi

nm, found the setting.

UTC 17:39

tried playback with disabled transcoding

tried playing back mkv with vp9 video and 7.1 opus

tried playing back mkv with vp9 video and 7.1 truehd

both resulting in nothing aka getting thrown back to the emby screen.

Tupsi

ok, finally a try with server logs:

20:15, trying to play \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv (h264 video with dts audio 5.1), emby user Markus.

the problem seems to be in these lines?

2018-05-18 20:15:22.947 Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, Path: \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
2018-05-18 20:15:22.947 Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv

like (yeah we can direct play and then no we cant)? What is a direct play profile and how do I create one?

emby-server.txt

ffmpeg-remux-567c0387-b598-47b2-9ddf-47330741a799.txt

Edited by Tupsi

jaketame

ok, finally a try with server logs:

20:15, trying to play \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv (h264 video with dts audio 5.1), emby user Markus.

the problem seems to be in these lines?

2018-05-18 20:15:22.947 Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, Path: \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

2018-05-18 20:15:22.947 Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\ironkeep\videos\Serien\Arrow\S01\Arrow.S01E01.mkv

like (yeah we can direct play and then no we cant)? What is a direct play profile and how do I create one?

Good work on logs... can’t help much further but ebr I’m sure will look at the logs.

Sounds similar to my issue, in that the Android App can’t detect the compatible audio.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58932-sony-xf90-ht-xf9000-directplay-issues/?view=getnewpost

Try;

Enable Debug logging on Android App

Play video

Send Debug logs, note time and video down

Disable transcoding for user in question

Play video

Send logs

Post here with time logs sent and what you played

Someone can check the log

Your issue is different and, if it proves out to be the case, it will be the first time we've had the system not report the support properly.

nm, found the setting.

UTC 17:39

tried playback with disabled transcoding

tried playing back mkv with vp9 video and 7.1 opus

tried playing back mkv with vp9 video and 7.1 truehd

both resulting in nothing aka getting thrown back to the emby screen.

Hi.  The Fire TV does not support TrueHD audio.

Even though your receiver can support it, in order for an app to properly support it, the device needs to have licensed and implemented the ability to deliver the Audio and the Fire does not.

A Shield would be able to pass TrueHD to your receiver.

For Opus, we will have to look but I'm not sure that is going to be  supported for anything but stereo.

jaketame

Your issue is different and, if it proves out to be the case, it will be the first time we've had the system not report the support properly.

Fair enough, my bad :-)

Tupsi

Hi.  The Fire TV does not support TrueHD audio.

Even though your receiver can support it, in order for an app to properly support it, the device needs to have licensed and implemented the ability to deliver the Audio and the Fire does not.

A Shield would be able to pass TrueHD to your receiver.

For Opus, we will have to look but I'm not sure that is going to be  supported for anything but stereo.

According to https://developer.amazon.com/de/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html the firetv supports Dolby Atmos (which I though is the marketing buzz word for TrueHD?). And I just saw that this is only the case for Gen 3., but I habe a Gen 2, grr. ok.

But I get this working with the workaround of using kodi, which seems to split the channels into pcm streams, so I was wondering if you guys could implement that into the emby app directly. So while my receiver nevers reports that it gets an Atmos stream, it always says it gets Multi Channel 7.1, which frankly is way better then just stereo :-)

But I get this working with the workaround of using kodi, which seems to split the channels into pcm streams, so I was wondering if you guys could implement that into the emby app directly. So while my receiver nevers reports that it gets an Atmos stream, it always says it gets Multi Channel 7.1, which frankly is way better then just stereo :-)

Kodi is decoding the audio in software and then outputting the raw streams as PCM.

Our app should be converting it to straight DD (as long as  your system reports support for that)  so you should be able to get 5.1 at least.

Tupsi

Kodi is decoding the audio in software and then outputting the raw streams as PCM.

Our app should be converting it to straight DD (as long as  your system reports support for that)  so you should be able to get 5.1 at least.

Yes, it does this most of the time. Checking my receiver I see Dolby Digital and 5.1 channels lit up. Although while trying to get you this debug stuff I ended up with getting only stereo (which in turn the receiver tries to blow up to Dolby Surround 5.1).

I noticed that your DD conversion seem to mix up the channels wrong at some points, although I have to verify that a bit more. From my tests so far it seems that the DD output only favours on side (right for me), so everything only comes from the right side/back channels. Playing back the opus 7.1 through kodi results in "the right" sound, meaning I have an accustic surround feeling getting the usual chitchat from around me, so I would presume that my original opus 7.1 has correct surround information encoded.

Btw, I am NOT trying to complain here, as I am VERY happy with your piece of software. Just trying to figure out if I do something wrong and if there is a way to get 7.1 playback through the app. But I understand, that you just explained that it is not possible and DD 5.1 is all there is atm because my device (Fire TV) says it has no clue what opus 7.1 nor atmos is.

Although I am confused with your kodi statement, as I specifically set up kodi as "pass through" for the audio streams, telling kodi that my receiver supports 7.1 channels and DD and DTS. But maybe there is the same catch as with the emby app as in kodi sees the opus 7.1 stream, understands that my receiver has no clue about that and decodes it? Would make sense.

• 6 months later...
heroes1412

Hi there @@heroes1412, can you please describe the issue that you're having? Thanks !

after few tests, if i chose Dolby Digital 5.1|6.1|7.1, i could hear voices (not sound in movie). If i chose Dolby Digital Stereo, i dont hear any sound|voice. if i switch sound track many times, Emby Server is crashed @@

oVBzvrx.jpg

If i chose TRUEHD | DTS | AC .... everything works well.

after few tests, if i chose Dolby Digital 5.1|6.1|7.1, i could hear voices (not sound in movie). If i chose Dolby Digital Stereo, i dont hear any sound|voice. if i switch sound track many times, Emby Server is crashed @@

oVBzvrx.jpg

If i chose TRUEHD | DTS | AC .... everything works well.

Hi. what app/screen is this a picture of?