Emby Connect, Local login

Beth Parker

Beth Parker

So I've created an local user that is connected with an emby connect user. I was expecting this to force local logins to automatically require the emby connect password - it didn't, so I searched to see if it was possible and came across these:
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49854-emby-users-not-guests-with-emby-connect-allow-transfer-of-password/
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45996-use-emby-connect-as-password/

Both of which appear to suggest that simply creating a random password for the local account should allow either the long password *or* the emby connect password to be used when logging in directly via my domain - but I can't get that to work.

First I tried:
1) Creating a local account

2) Connecting my emby connect account to that local account
3) Setting a random password on that local account
4) Opening emby via my domain and logging in with the emby connect password

This didn't work so I tried:
1) Inviting my emby connect account
2) Unchecking the "hide this user from login screens"
3) Opening emby via my domain and clicking the emby connect account (this doesn't bring up a password prompt at all, just states that the username or password is incorrect)
4) Clicking "manual login" and trying to login with my emby connect username/password

Am I mistaken about what those two threads were suggesting should be done, am I doing something wrong, or is there something failing on the backend (I don't see anything in the logs)?

Hi, they are two different login systems. The local login is something you have complete control over in terms of managing your user database, whereas the Emby Connect login is cloud based.

For #1.

First I tried:
1) Creating a local account

2) Connecting my emby connect account to that local account
3) Setting a random password on that local account
4) Opening emby via my domain and logging in with the emby connect password

This really should work, so I'm wondering if there was just some kind of connection failure with our Emby Connect domain.  Can you please attach the emby server log from this attempt? You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

I'd probably also want to see the server log from the second example as well. Thanks.

Beth Parker

While looking into this a bit more, I discovered that I'm not able to connect to my server anymore from app.emby.media - I just get the error message "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

On the off chance that these issues were being caused by a configuration issue and/or a plugin issue, I backed up my existing program_data folder (/var/lib/emby) and started fresh. I also bypassed by nginx proxy entirely to eliminate that as a possible source of the issue. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error when trying to connect via app.emby.media, and I still can't log in w/ my emby connect password.

Attached is the server log, starting with only a local user, connecting my emby account to that user, trying to connect via app.emby.media and trying to log in directly from my domain.

EDIT:
Emby is running in an lxc container on an Arch Linux host, and is installed via the community package in the official Arch repositories. Server version is 3.4.1.0

embyserver.txt

Edited by Beth Parker

Beth Parker

Oh - I'm an idiot. You can scratch everything about app.emby.media not working - that was a result of scripts being blocked by uMatrix in my primary browser. In a browser that I don't have scripts being blocked, app.emby.media works as expected - same issue with logging in from emby.actcur.com:8096 using my emby connect password though.

Your Emby Connect username though is "beth parker", so that would be the username you would need to enter in your local server if you want to be able to sign in with your emby connect password.