'Group Versions' and sorting/fixing music in general

darkassassin07

Deathsquirrel

Pop all the tracks by that artist into MP3tag and make sure that both the AlbumArtist and 'Album Artist' tags are set correctly.  I know sometimes Picard puts nonsensical crap in the AlbumArtist tag which is an extended tag and doesn't show up in the main GUI of my tag editor.  I have to manually check the extended tags there to sort it.  This same thing happened to me with 'WeirdAl' Yankovic vs Weird Al Yankovic and Smashing Pumpkins vs The Smashing Pumpkins.  I'd set Album Artist correctly but there was garbage data in AlbumArtist.

darkassassin07

I am no-longer convinced this is a problem with these files or how I'm tagging them:

All of the audio files I have for Maximum the Hormone have this problem so I grabbed a couple random songs from piratebay and tried those

exactly as I received them. I got the same result so I tried re-tagging/naming them like I have for all the rest of my music and still got the same result.

I also tried copying a random song from another artist that is already in the music library (ie sorted and working fine) then changing the artist tag to "Maximum the Hormone". Same results.

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Is anyone else able to reproduce this at all?

Anyone have Maximum the Hormone in their library?

Deathsquirrel

album artist is blank, and artist matches all the way down

Select the tracks and check the extended tags.  Like I said, the value does not display in the MP3 tag UI by default but There is also an AlbumArtist tag that may be populated in the Extended Tags.  You can access extended tags by pressing ALT-T.

I also suggest populating Album Artist.

darkassassin07

SFvg5FG.png

I get the same results no matter what audio file I use whether it was apart of the original Discography or just a random audio file. Anything with the artist tag 'Maximum the Hormone'.

Edited by darkassassin07

Deathsquirrel

I get the same results no matter what audio file I use whether it was apart of the original Discography or just a random audio file. Anything with the artist tag 'Maximum the Hormone'.

Perhaps you're doing as directed but your screenshots keep showing you not so pardon me if I'm repeating myself needlessly.

Select ALL the Maximum the Hormone tracks.  Press Alt-T.  Select the AlbumArtist value and click the X to delete it.  Click OK.  Fill in the Album Artist field with your preferred band spelling.  Press CTRL-S to save the change.  Scan your library in Emby.  Do you still have this issue?  That fixed it for me.

Happy2Play

Where any tag edit made after adding to Emby?

There appear to several different issues here but overall it sounds more like a database issue.  Once imported into the database it can be difficult to fix, usually requiring manual edits or rebuilt the database.

I just downloaded Maximum the Hormone/Yoshu Fukushu (2013) and retagged it via mp3tag with musicbrainz option and don't see any issue. I noticed a case issue in Albumartist, Artist, and ArtistSort that I changed before adding to library thought.  This would cause the "Maximum the Hormone" "Maximum The Hormone".

Edited by Happy2Play

darkassassin07

@deathsquirrel: All the tracks match, I was just showing you one

guczPjT.png

After it was originally added to emby and emby had split it into two thats when I started making edits to that artist

Since then I have re-tagged them about a dozen times scanning the library between any changes. Nothing changes :/

Edited by darkassassin07

Happy2Play

There are lots of old topics about Artist showing twice/doubled and the only way to resolve assuming tagging was correct was rebuilding or manually editing library.db.  Once People/Actors/Artists are in the DB there isn't much you can do within Emby UI.

darkassassin07

If I was to re-build, what would it effect?

Would I lose things like watch history?

Or

How would I go about editing the db to fix this?

Happy2Play

If I was to re-build, what would it effect?

Would I lose things like watch history?

Or

How would I go about editing the db to fix this?

Watched status is tracked by providerids so only media without a providerids would lose watched status if you are using the Server Configuration Backup.

You could shut down your server and goto "\Emby-Server\programdata\data" and make a copy of your Library.db and explore it with "SQLiteDatabaseBrowserPortable"

darkassassin07

Not sure what a providerid is or how to tell what media it effects.
Im only worried about watch status for the movies and tv episodes, If I won't lose that, I'll just re-build. (with a backup first ofc)

/edit:  provider ids   = external ids (ex. theMovieDB)

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

!!  I fixed it :D

Did some digging in the db, found the only record with the path for "Ãã­Ã-Ãã  Ã¶ Ãëâó"  (the extra MtH artist) and deleted it.

Again, thanks for all your help guys :)

Happy2Play

You shouldn't need to go in the db. @@Happy2Play did you happen to try his sample song posted earlier?

I did and didn't have any issues with it as it had the same metadata my existing test media had. The issue was inconsistent metadata.  So that bad file was imported and db want cleaned up when tags were corrected.  So that artist had to be manually removed from the database to correct the issue.

• 6 months later...

I'm curious how to get a group of albums combined under one artist.

I'm just trying to get all the Alan Parsons albums under one listing of Alan Parsons Project

Right now, there is a category of Alan Parsons, The Alan Parsons Project, Alan Parsons Project, and Alan Parson's Project, each with different albums. They should be all in one folder and it should be easy to combine the different folders (and clean the clutter), but I don't know how...

I'm just trying to get all the Alan Parsons albums under one listing of Alan Parsons Project

Right now, there is a category of Alan Parsons, The Alan Parsons Project, Alan Parsons Project, and Alan Parson's Project, each with different albums. They should be all in one folder and it should be easy to combine the different folders (and clean the clutter), but I don't know how...

Hi, have you checked the embedded metadata within the audio files?

Deathsquirrel

Get a tag editor like MP3Tag and set the 'AlbumArtist' and 'Album Artist' tags to your preferred name.  After your next library scan it should be sorted.

Sorry, I'm one of these people who got fed up with Plex (it no longer plays my videos), and while all the music was properly sorted on Plex, Emby doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

Now I can watch videos on Emby, but a lot of my music won't play back at all (much less properly identify).

For example, Toto IV album shows up on the list, but when I hit play, nothing happens other than endless "retrieving."

Is this related to the mp3tag stuff?

Sorry, I'm one of these people who got fed up with Plex (it no longer plays my videos), and while all the music was properly sorted on Plex, Emby doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

Now I can watch videos on Emby, but a lot of my music won't play back at all (much less properly identify).

For example, Toto IV album shows up on the list, but when I hit play, nothing happens other than endless "retrieving."

Is this related to the mp3tag stuff?

Hi there @@keithbk, we're sorry to hear about this. Can you please attach the emby server log? thanks !