Emby Cloud

AllviewTV

AllviewTV

I've noticed plex has an option to have a server running natively in the cloud such as google drive. Would it be possible to get this on emby?

AllviewTV

I have done. I cant see anything for cloud. I can see something for Google Drive but its API so don't think its the same thing

Sammy

Oh, you want a server running on someone else's machine.

I didn't know Plex did that and frankly I don't know why anyone would want to do this.

It's a nice idea for the future, but even if we don't have a dedicated service for this, you can still set this up on your own.

AllviewTV

It's not on anyone else's machine is it directly in the cloud. The whole server is i the cloud. How would I set this up myself?

mastrmind11

Note: We have disabled server creation for new Plex Cloud users. We’ve been working to address challenges with performance, quality, and overall user experience inherent with cloud provider integrations and are pausing new server creation to evaluate the long term plan for the service. While we evaluate our options, we will continue to support existing Plex Cloud users and will communicate any service changes before they take effect.

AllviewTV

I've never had any problems with my cloud server. I use google drive and it works well to be honest. I still prefer emby though because of the layout and EPG grid. Personally think the playback is better on emby as well

Sammy

It's not on anyone else's machine is it directly in the cloud. The whole server is i the cloud. How would I set this up myself?

Umm.. the cloud is nothing but someone else's machine. It doesn't exist without a computer or bank of computers somewhere and those belong to and are maintained by someone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pir8radio

go somewhere like this: http://webcs.com/webcsdocs/dedicated.php pay monthly for a cloud server, and install emby on it. 

Edited by pir8radio

AllviewTV

I already have a VPS running emby but my google drive account has unlimited storage so thats why I wanted to know if there was a way of linking that so I can use it purely for VOD and have the VPS running the IPTV side of things

Note: We have disabled server creation for new Plex Cloud users. We’ve been working to address challenges with performance, quality, and overall user experience inherent with cloud provider integrations and are pausing new server creation to evaluate the long term plan for the service. While we evaluate our options, we will continue to support existing Plex Cloud users and will communicate any service changes before they take effect.

That was soooo predictable.

As mentioned by a couple of others, you can easily do this yourself with a capable cloud server provider.  I would pay attention to their terms of service though...

• Like 1

otispresley

That was soooo predictable.

As mentioned by a couple of others, you can easily do this yourself with a capable cloud server provider.  I would pay attention to their terms of service though...

You can certainly do this on your own if you use the docker image and have docker host(s) in your cloud service.

At the same time, I think this could be a good move for the the Emby team to provide such a service in the cloud using the docker image as a subscription-only service. It would make it easier for users to get started without having to provide their own hardware/cloud service, and the subscription fees would add to the revenue stream for Emby.

It would be a nice thing for us to offer, yes. But in the meantime, it can easily be setup manually.

ddurdle

If you have a fixation on "I must have an Emby Cloud", just do yourself a favour and spin up a Google Cloud Engine server and install Emby to it.  Up and running in under 10 mins.  I honestly prefer Google's pricing over Amazon.

Sammy

So what are the advantages/disadvantages to doing this? My Emby Server seems to work just fine the way it is right now on an HTPC a bought, assembled and own. If I'm missing something by not putting my Emby Server up on someone else's computer in the cloud please let me know.

• Like 1

AllviewTV

You're not missing out on anything mate. I'm in the uk so my upload speeds are capped at about 15mbps which isnt good enough when I've got multiple device streaming IPTV at the same time some outside of my network as well for family memebers etc, thats why I've got mine on VPS. I only want to link google drive because I've got around 3tb movies and TV shows on it and have unlimited storage

Sammy

I suppose if I were running an iptv service I'd need more upload speed but how to tie LiveTV into that?

Anything you are streaming from your server is subject to the limit of your upload bandwidth (often restricted for consumer ISP connections).

Having your server in the cloud (and the content there too) eliminates your upload bottleneck because everything is just coming down from the cloud (from servers with much higher upload bandwidth).

Does that make sense?

AllviewTV

Couldn't of put that any better. My home broadband is 200mbps down and 15mbps up and my VPS is 10gbps dowm and 10gbps up so my IPTV is running natively on my VPS but I have limited storage on HDD so I cant have much VOD where as my drive account is unlimited so if I could integrate that with emby I could have my VPS running the IPTV and drive running VOD

• Like 1

ddurdle

Anything you are streaming from your server is subject to the limit of your upload bandwidth (often restricted for consumer ISP connections).

Having your server in the cloud (and the content there too) eliminates your upload bottleneck because everything is just coming down from the cloud (from servers with much higher upload bandwidth).

Does that make sense?

Yes!

KarlDag

Anyone know how to manually set this up?. If you do can you post a tutorial please?

I posted a link to a thread in the Plex forums where they go all over this, there's even a tutorial. Do the same but install emby instead of Plex. Edited by KarlDag