Xbox one X low sound problem

screwfaze

screwfaze

Hi,

I have been meaning to report this for a while when I watch movies especially the sound is really low and I have to turn the volume all the way up, does not happen when watching shows or lower quality films. I have tried changing the Transcode downmix option to 1, 2 and 3 but still the same. Checked all Xbox settings and cannot see anything that might cause this can anyone help?

Thanks

Deathsquirrel

How many sound channels are in the problem movies and how many speakers do you have?  In particular, do you have a center channel speaker?

This is most commonly a symptom of running 5.1 sound through a 2.0 speaker setup without downmixing to stereo.

screwfaze

I just have a tv with 2.0 speaker setup and the affected movies are all remuxes with 5.1 sound the question is what should I do about it?

FrostByte

Have you tried setting your Xbox to bitstream stereo?  It may down mix for you

screwfaze

I have just tried HDMI bitstream and gives me an error with the driver. I thought emby can transcode the audio to stereo?

FrostByte

I have just tried HDMI bitstream and gives me an error with the driver. I thought emby can transcode the audio to stereo?

I thought if you set your Xbox to stereo then either the Xbox would downmix it, or Emby would then detect your system was stereo and downmix.   I'll test mine out and see if I can duplicate the driver error message.

Deathsquirrel

ET for windows store doesn't have a downmix to stereo option that I can see.

Ok yes it is converting 6ch audio to 6ch. Since you only have 2 speakers we should add an option in the app to allow you to indicate that. Well, assuming we can't detect that.

screwfaze

Hi @@Luke I have also noticed this behavior on android tv please let me know if i should start a new thread for that.

Deathsquirrel

Hi @@Luke I have also noticed this behavior on android tv please let me know if i should start a new thread for that.

On android TV there is already a setting to downmix to stereo.  Enable that to correct this.

• 2 weeks later...
screwfaze

@@Luke any progress on this really annoying watching movies and not being able to hear what anyone is saying.

Thanks

We are still looking at possible approaches to this. Thank you for your patience.

• 4 weeks later...
screwfaze

Sorry I don't understand what you are asking, do you want me to test with something 6 channel?

Then how is it possible you're having a problem here? If i recall the issue in your logs was when we transcoded 6ch HD audio to something like 6ch aac or ac3.

screwfaze

Sorry didn't realize it was 6 channels on DTS HD 5.1, yes the audio is louder now thanks but I still think its a little lower than the rest of the sound can it be a bit louder?

Thanks

FrostByte

Sorry didn't realize it was 6 channels on DTS HD 5.1, yes the audio is louder now thanks but I still think its a little lower than the rest of the sound can it be a bit louder?

Thanks

5.1 = 6 channels (5 speakers and 1 amp)

6.1 = 7 channels and has an extra rear speaker in the middle.  There are a few movies like LoTR, Star Wars, etc which include DTS-ES which is 6.1

5.1, 6.1, doesn't matter. just find something with that many channels that will direct play without transcoding. I'd like to know how the audio sounds for you in that case.

If you don't have any files like this, you can always use the convert feature on one of your files and select the TV profile. It should produce a file with ac3 audio and the same number of channels.