Routing Cat6 Cable

dcrdev

dcrdev

I'm moving house at the end of the month and unfortunately unlike my apartment it's not wired for ethernet. It's also rented so I can't really alter the property to extent of drilling through walls. This presents a certain problem with all the network and server gear I have.

Ideally I'd like to have things like this:

Ground Floor: Modem / Router / Firewall / Server Box / Switch / Nvidia Shield / PS4

1st Floor: Workstation Computer / Work Laptop(s)

2nd Floor: 2 Raspberry Pi's Running LibreELEC

2nd Floor can be handled via WiFi - not too fussed about that.

Ground/1st I'd ideally like to be wired as I often transfer large amounts of data (terabytes) between my server and workstation machines.

Does anyone have any clever ideas as to how I might route a bunch of cat6 cable upstairs and around rooms without drilling? I'm guessing the answer is probably no - but worth a shot.

dcrdev

Worst case scenario I could move  the Router / Firewall / Server Box / Switch  to the 1st floor and deliver wan via a powerline adaptor since it'll only be a 300/20 connection. Although I don't know how reliable powerline adaptors are - anyone have any experience?

The modem has to stay on the ground floor as that's the only place that's wired for cable.

legallink

What type of construction is the new place? There may be clever ways with minimal drilling that no one sees/knows about.

legallink

What type of construction is the new place? There may be clever ways with minimal drilling that no one sees/knows about.

Guest asrequested

Where is the access to under the house, located? But you probably don't have one of those. The house is brick and block? You could use trunking, and stick it to the wall?

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

As you are in the UK - i doubt you have heating ducts/cold air returns :)

I have a pair of these powerline adapters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFBN4MO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the Av2000

they work well - i get about 30 MB/s between them a friend gets 15 MB/s

what you get will depend on the quality of your wiring and your neighbours - your electric meter is not a firewall :) and noise on the cables does affect speed - so next door turns on their hair dryer - my speed drops!

They have a pairing mode which adds a layer of security

Other than that i also use a cat6 cable to connect the ground floor to the first floor - via the technical route of dropping a cable from one window to the other - the cable being small enough to still shut the windows

PenkethBoy

does not need to be flat - unless you are a flat earther i suppose :)

dcrdev

Where is the access to under the house, located? But you probably don't have one of those. The house is brick and block? You could use trunking, and stick it to the wall?

I'm not sure to be honest.

I could use trunking, but the problem is getting the cabling from room to room.

As you are in the UK - i doubt you have heating ducts/cold air returns :)

I have a pair of these powerline adapters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFBN4MO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the Av2000

they work well - i get about 30 MB/s between them a friend gets 15 MB/s

what you get will depend on the quality of your wiring and your neighbours - your electric meter is not a firewall :) and noise on the cables does affect speed - so next door turns on their hair dryer - my speed drops!

They have a pairing mode which adds a layer of security

Other than that i also use a cat6 cable to connect the ground floor to the first floor - via the technical route of dropping a cable from one window to the other - the cable being small enough to still shut the windows

Yeah no heating ducts/cold air returns...

Hmm, if something like a hairdryer can cause interference then it's probably not the solution for delivering wan to my router.

I might have to give a flat cable a go and go through the window, although I can't imaging the cable being thin enough to not prevent the window from shutting.

does not need to be flat - unless you are a flat earther i suppose :)

Lol

dcrdev

From the photos I have of the house, looks like there's a satellite dish installed on the rear exterior wall with cables going to the ground floor / 1st floor.

Maybe if I can find some especially thin cat6 cable. I'll be able to hijack those drill holes.

mastrmind11

Forget powerline, they suck.  Easiest approach (and the one I took since my house is unable to be wired unless I spend a fortune) is to use MoCA adapters.  Fantastic little units and really good sustained throughput, unlike powerline stuff.  Highly recommended.  Just be sure you get bonded MoCA 2.x stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526304348&sr=8-2&keywords=moca+bonded&dpID=41v9f4CmCxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

PenkethBoy

Dont they need coax cables?

and you still need to lay cables to connect stuff which it would appear DcrDev does not want to do in his rented flat

dcrdev

Dont they need coax cables?

and you still need to lay cables to connect stuff which it would appear DcrDev does not want to do in his rented flat

It's a possibility since the house is wired for cable (virgin media) - although admittedly I don't know anything about cable as I've never had it before.

Those adaptors look good but again know nothing about cable and a google search yielded little results regarding using those in the UK.

Hopefully since there are already drill holes for the satellite dish, I'll be able to jam some thin cat6 cables through there - which will be the optimal solution.