Idiots guide to XBMB3C set-up?

Macburp
Go to solution Solved by xnappo,

Macburp

Hello, long-time MB3 user but a bit of a noob to XBMC. As this is the only linux client for MB3 at the moment I thought I'd have a go at configuring a version of XBMC on my desktop before splashing out on a NUC and OpenElec. This prompts questions of course :).

1. What skins are available that are compatible with XBM3C? I have been trying  Aeon Nox, which is scarily customisable but probably not the final look I want. I need to be able to customise the main menu, is this possible with other skins? Can't seem to change the default backdrop, how is this done?

2. I was able to get XBM3C installed and set-up quickly, and was pleased to see the Cover Art plug-in working. I was then able to install the plugin as a main menu item, but was sad to note that I could not have short cuts into 'Movies' and 'TV' as sub-menu items? Can I do that? If so, can I have Movies and TV as main menu items (like 'entry points' in MBC)?

Ideally what I want is a five item main menu - 'Movies' and 'TV' using XBM3C, BBC iPlayer, Spotify, and Settings.

3. Can XBM3C do widgets, or do you have plans for this? I've no idea if this could really be useful, but it would be interesting to find out.

Doubtless I'll think of more questions as I go on with this. I would have a try at the XBMC forums but I hear they are a bit tough on newbies, so I thought I'd try here first.

thanks for reading

PS. Just remembered I used to have an original Xbox, used Xbox Media Center on that all the time. Its changes so much!

• Solution
xnappo

This is the sort of thing that I am really hoping other users will start answering - I left it hanging for a bit with that hope :D

I will answer briefly, but hope that someone else will step up to put together a how-to.

1. The three skins that completely supporting XBMB3C are Confluence.xbmb3cXperience1080++ and Arctic-xbmb3c.  In addition we have mods for Aeon Nox 4.0.9 that ships with the AddOn to provide Widget support.

2. Setting up shortcuts is different in every skin.  In Aeon Nox you want to add 'Video Nodes' to the menu.  Nox is what I use and I have 'Movies' as a main entry, with sub-menus for 'Recently Added' etc.  You can see the process for Nox in this video ~1:15:

3. Yes, the two skins above have easy support.  Read the Confluence thread for how to get widgets in Confluence Frodo.  For Nox 4.0.9 ONLY (Frodo) you can copy the skin mods from the AddOn over to your Nox skin directory.  

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Macburp

Thanks for the reply. I am struggling with the video node concept right now, but I'll struggle a bit more before I post again :)

grimfandango

Did you figure out video nodes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Macburp

Did you figure out video nodes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes I did, thanks for asking. Can't take any credit for figuring it out  though, xnappo's video gave me the answer.

So I have a working set-up that's almost the way I want it in Aeon Nox. About to try Xperience 1080++ now.

Macburp

Well, I'm making progress with my test version of XBMC. Installing XBM3C has been the least painful part of the experience, for which I thank all of you. Sticking with Aeon Nox for now, currently working through some detail issues with the BBC iPlayer add-on.

One question - I find each time I enter a series I need to set each level from the default list format to the format I want (which is Shift). Is there a way to change the default setting from List to Shift?

I can post some pics when I've finished the project if that would be useful.

Thanks.

elcabong

im trying a few different ways to set the default view in the arctic-xbmb3c.  here are some links to start, maybe the first one could be something that we can try to work into the xbmb3c service/addon as its a python example, but the other links are for skinning:

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/general-python-development/717-how-set-default-view-type-xbmc-lists.html

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131942

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50523

xnappo

Well, I'm making progress with my test version of XBMC. Installing XBM3C has been the least painful part of the experience, for which I thank all of you. Sticking with Aeon Nox for now, currently working through some detail issues with the BBC iPlayer add-on.

One question - I find each time I enter a series I need to set each level from the default list format to the format I want (which is Shift). Is there a way to change the default setting from List to Shift?

I can post some pics when I've finished the project if that would be useful.

Thanks.

Unfortunately because each skin is different, there is no way for us to handle it from the script side.

You can, however, change the default view type in Aeon Nox itself.

See this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=178180&pid=1630385#pid1630385

xnappo

xnappo

@@elcabong

From a skin dev point of view, if you could set the current view 'number' in a window property then we could potentially add a context menu item or something to set default views.

Context menu is getting pretty busy though...

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

elcabong

so i found an easier way to get the results i wanted for setting views.

The way i like it, is to have 1 main view for everything, but a separate view for episodes.  so what i did what change the order of the views to my preferred view by setting the following:

MyVideoNav.xml

changed <views> order with my preferred one first.

i also went down to the radio buttons for the views and moved the code for my preferred one to the top.

now, if you delete your /Database/ViewModesXX.db or if your starting on a fresh setup, each time you enter a library or addon item it will be using your preferred view.

so, what if you want different default views for episodes, or seasons.  what i did was add this code to my preferred layout.xml.  so im my case for arctic-xbmb3c skin, i set the default view to 59, or Viewtypes_Classicinfo.xml.  to set a default view for episodes, i went to line 90 in Viewtypes_Classicinfo.xml where it defines the focused layout (the item that is hovered/selected when you load the view) and added the following code:

<control type="button">
                    <onfocus condition="Container.Content(episodes)">Container.SetViewMode(54)</onfocus>
                    </control>

where viewmode 54 is the view i want for my episodes view.  what this does, is default to the classicinfo view, but if the content is episodes, it will switch to view 54.  you can do this for seasons/movies/etc.. just make sure that if you want different views for tv shows, seasons, and episodes, that you add the onfocus conditions to ALL the correct views to follow the flow.

see here (3rd item down) for all the options for container.content

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_boolean_conditions

i just updated this in my arctic-xbmb3c git, so feel free to look at the newest commits.

Edited by elcabong
  • Like 2