Manually Upgrading Emby on FreeNAS (or FreeBSD)

constrict

makarai

@@embeathome

It seems to me that your starting parameter is not properly setup. First of i'd recommend updating to the recent freenas system 11.2RC.

After that you should install any of the other plugins, not emby and check if the y just work you can uninstall them afterwards.

After you have done that you can post the output of the ssh command ifconfig.

Cheers

embeathome

Thanks makarai. Tried to update to 11.2. RC but failed. I didn't find file for manual update in freenas gui/update. I was searching on the web, but didn't find it either. Could you please advise how to update to RC2 thanks.

makarai

Thanks makarai. Tried to update to 11.2. RC but failed. I didn't find file for manual update in freenas gui/update. I was searching on the web, but didn't find it either. Could you please advise how to update to RC2 thanks.

Hey, did you select the proper train to perform an update? What exacly failed?

Here is what you have to do on the freenas GUI

Navigate to System > update > Select Train Freenas 11.2-STABLE hit update.

post-165508-0-60804800-1541513846_thumb.jpg

You can also use the manual update, but you need to check the freenas forum to figure out which file you have to download. :D

embeathome

Hi makarai. well most probably I missunderstood and also did it in the morning in rush. I will check when back at home from office. I was most probably searching directly for 11.2 RC2 and of course thatone was missing.

Just to be sure - regarding other plugin installation - does it mean to install for example Transmission from Freenas GUI/available plugins, right? I never used other plugin than Emby, so I will only be able to tell if it is possible turn it on and off. Would that be enough? And finally, if I understand correctly, then, if all works OK, then I should give a try to install Emby again, right?

Thanks for beeing patient with me :)

Edit:

ok so I have checked and I have 11.2-Stable installed. No updates available. Is that what "we" want? 

5be1d2cb5afa7_112.jpg

EDIT II:

Installed Plex plugin from Freenas GUI and it works OK, I left DHCP marked before install of Plex:

Plugin installed successfully

Install Notes:

plexmediaserver_enable: -> YES

plexmediaserver_support_path: -> /

Starting plexmediaserver.

Admin Portal:

http://192.168.1.18:32400/web

EDIT III

So tried to install again Emby and got same error with DNS and so on. Pls check attached copy of  command ifconfig and installation process

installation_II.txt

Edited by embeathome

makarai

Can you:

install your Plex plugin or any other plugin

Open shell and type ifconfig

Post output.

Or install emby in dhcp mode.

iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes -n emby-server.json --branch 'master'

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-7&do=findComment&comment=619899

Edited by makarai

embeathome

Hi,

so yesterday by mistake uninstalled Plex while playing with it (setting mount points) so installed it again, not as DHCP but with fixed IP address 192.168.1.10/24. I remember there was some DNS error during installation but it finally installed. So today I only grabbed "ifconfig" without installing anything:

Welcome to FreeNAS

Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@freenas:~ # ifconfig
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 68:05:ca:16:96:03
        hwaddr 68:05:ca:16:96:03
        inet 192.168.1.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
alc0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=c319a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        ether 90:2b:34:db:49:4c
        hwaddr 90:2b:34:db:49:4c
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        groups: lo
root@freenas:~ #

thx!

makarai

Give the following a try:

open a shell or shell tab

cd /tmp
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby-beta/master/emby-server-beta.json
iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes -n emby-server-beta.json --branch 'master' 

type

iocage list

present printput here

Edited by makarai

embeathome

Hi,

seems that emby is installed based on above! :) Perfect. Have a look on attached files. One is from installation of emby itself, second is iocage list. So now....if conclusion is that everything is now OK, may I change emby jail to static IP? And if so, what setting should I use so it works, meaning IP interface should be em0 or vnet0, also is it necessary to insert IPv4 Netmask?

Last but not least, this is Beta what we have now installed, I am not a big fan of betas. Is it easy and how to update to stable version?

Many many thanks!

emby_installation.txt

iocage list.txt

makarai

Hi,

seems that emby is installed based on above! :) Perfect. Have a look on attached files. One is from installation of emby itself, second is iocage list. So now....if conclusion is that everything is now OK, may I change emby jail to static IP? And if so, what setting should I use so it works, meaning IP interface should be em0 or vnet0, also is it necessary to insert IPv4 Netmask?

Last but not least, this is Beta what we have now installed, I am not a big fan of betas. Is it easy and how to update to stable version?

Many many thanks!

I often share the feelings when it comes to betas, however this is a great exception, as quite a few things have changed between the latest stable and the beta branch especially when it comes to freenas, which is also in the transition to  a stable. When you use the current beta and update to the next stable that will come around eventually, it will be much more painless then going from the previous stable, as there were a bunch of backend (database) changes. I recommend to stay on any beta  between 56 to 60 for now. I basically try every beta in a test setup, and can let you know when and how you should update.

Yes. It installed correctly and is most likely reachable at http://192.168.1.12:8096 for you. You should add some storage via the GUI in the Jails section and try the playback and potentially post a log file as well. If you want to change the IP settings you can either send me the output of ifconfig and i can update the command, or you can change it yourself using the GUI. Make sure you select an ip that is outside of your dhcp range

Cheers.

Also i posted a longer post 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-7&do=findComment&comment=619899

Edited by makarai

embeathome

Thank you thank you makirai! I will keep then beta as you suggest, will dig into IP adress and so on and hopefully everythink will work. I already inserted my premium nbr and woala - it works also on my Sony TV. On mobile it worked also without it I think. It is quite a while when I used emby last time. But from todays tasting I can say that it is by far the best!!!

Once again many many thanks!!! Much appreciated. 

One thing which came into my mind - What I seen is that when I set my local language, the translation was not complete and not perfect. Where could I apply for volunteer translation? It also could be that I didn't set everything properly...maybe, but rather not. Part of the menu was in my language and part in English...

• 4 weeks later...
fouad1995

Updating has become much easier for FreeBSD with the new package. Any update can be installed by running the following command. Using this method will also allow you to install beta packages.  https://videoder.pro/

https://tubemate.onl/

https://snaptube.vip/

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/X.X.X.X/emby-server-freebsd_X.X.X.X_amd64.txz
service emby-server restart

Note that if your updating from a much older version of emby the database location has changed from /var/db/emby-server to /var/db/emby *Thanks BurntTech

mv /var/db/emby-server /var/db/emby

Changed to reflect new FreeBSD package.

Updating has become a lot easier for FreeBSD with the new bundle. Any replace can be installed by using strolling the subsequent command. the usage of this method can even let you set up beta programs.

provider emby-server restart
word that in case your updating from a miles older model of emby the database region has modified from /var/db/emby-server to /var/db/emby *thanks BurntTech

mv /var/db/emby-server /var/db/emby
modified to mirror new FreeBSD package deal.