Multi-version movies not selectable in Kodi?

floppyhat
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

floppyhat

I've followed the instructions for multi-version movie naming and can select the movie version from the Emby web UI and have the selected version play.

In Kodi, however, selecting the movie just plays the same version every time, without asking me which one I want (and it defaults to the SD theatrical cut rather than the 1080 final cut, too!) This happens whether I use the Kodi library or select it from within the Emby plugin's interface.

My folder's arranged like this:

Blade Runner (1982)/
  Blade Runner (1982) - US Theatrical Cut - SD DVD.mkv
  Blade Runner (1982) - Final Cut - 1080p BluRay.mkv

Is there a way to get selection of versions through Kodi? I'd prefer to select from the Kodi library and play back from an SMB mount rather than streaming through Emby (I find subtitles don't work a lot of the time when streaming).

I've had to go back to separate folders for each version, which means multiple library entries cluttering the place up. I'd prefer to have one entry per movie…

Thanks

Angelblue05

Are you using add-on or native playback mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

floppyhat

Native — I forgot the correct term when writing the original post.

I used to use add-on mode, but the Kodi subtitle downloader can't write changes back to the disk if I need to download a better version, so it's much more of a pain to use.

Going through the Emby plugin's interface rather than the Kodi library should be the same as using add-on mode, though, shouldn't it?

• Solution
Angelblue05

It is not the same. If you choose add-on mode + disable Force HTTP playback you'll be able to direct play and subs downloader should see the correct path.

Native is all up to Kodi, the add-on adds your paths as they would be handled by Kodi. Essentially, the add-on in that mode only handles metadata updates. Add-on playback mode allows the add-on to control what happens prior to playback, therefore allowing you to select the source prior to playback.

I'll try to see if I can add a context menu entry to allow to choose source in Native mode.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

floppyhat

Thanks — looks like Force HTTP playback was what was messing things up last time… I haven't had a chance to check subtitles are OK yet, but I'm getting the version picker now.

• Like 1