Apple TV - browsing collection using A-Z scroll

psybertech

1 hour ago, wlpredrock47 said:

Can't agree more!  I've got 2000+ with about 800 more to save to my media server.  The current app is a pain to scroll through.  Also, would like to see a selected collection in a vertical display rather than horizontal with a description.  Much simpler and easier to access a collection that way.   If I want particulars for a movie within a collection, I can just select it.  This is the way it is on the web app and most other apps I believe.  The web app is nearly perfect for large collections.  Actually, Emby is nearly perfect!!  Great development job!!

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking at improving this.

• Like 1

corey
On 8/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, cnwinger said:

Just checking in on this.  It's pretty rough to scroll a 1200+ movie collection on Apple TV right now.  An A-Z fast-scroll bar would help immensely.

tvOS does have a fast scroll feature we just can't populate it with the letters / indexes at this time so it at least should be manageable.

corey
On 8/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, wlpredrock47 said:

Also, would like to see a selected collection in a vertical display rather than horizontal with a description.  Much simpler and easier to access a collection that way.   If I want particulars for a movie within a collection, I can just select it.  This is the way it is on the web app and most other apps I believe.

We tend to follow standard UI conventions on tvOS per Apple's guidelines. We tend not to deviate much if at all from them for the most part.

wlpredrock47
4 hours ago, corey said:

We tend to follow standard UI conventions on tvOS per Apple's guidelines. We tend not to deviate much if at all from them for the most part.

I understand and can live with that.  However, the #/A-Z fast scroll bar is a necessity if Apple/Emby is to be used as a true media server of thousands of movies, TV shows, and music.  Apple never makes things easy, does it.  

corey
19 minutes ago, wlpredrock47 said:

I understand and can live with that.  However, the #/A-Z fast scroll bar is a necessity if Apple/Emby is to be used as a true media server of thousands of movies, TV shows, and music.  Apple never makes things easy, does it.  

As I mentioned previously Apple has fast scroll support (you’ll see dots on the right hand side) but at this point the Emby Server APIs don’t align with what Apple requires.

We certainly haven’t forgotten about the request and hope to include it in a future release. 

• Like 1

wlpredrock47

I understand and have used that feature.  However, fast scrolling through all my movies to "XYZ" sure takes some time.  One idea that you might implement easily is to add a "Folders" selection to the "Movies" thru "Genres" bar that appears at the top of the screen when you select "Movies" in "My Media". Then if you have set up your movies correctly in the server by alphabet folders, you should at least see 26 boxes  of movies alphabetically.  These are then easy to scroll through and select.  Your web app already has this feature.  This would avoid the Apple scroll by alphabet problem.  You could also set this up for "Music" as well.

corey
8 hours ago, wlpredrock47 said:

I understand and have used that feature.  However, fast scrolling through all my movies to "XYZ" sure takes some time.  One idea that you might implement easily is to add a "Folders" selection to the "Movies" thru "Genres" bar that appears at the top of the screen when you select "Movies" in "My Media". Then if you have set up your movies correctly in the server by alphabet folders, you should at least see 26 boxes  of movies alphabetically.  These are then easy to scroll through and select.  Your web app already has this feature.  This would avoid the Apple scroll by alphabet problem.  You could also set this up for "Music" as well.

There’s a hard limit for the number of tabs (which we’re at) on tvOS so we’ve had to be selective about which ones have been provided in the app. 

• 4 months later...
gene0915

I found a solution.... I'm switching to Roku. :)

I've just been having tons of tvOS issues lately and have decided to just dump that platform and switch to Roku Ultra's on all my TVs. I'm almost certain that platform has the jump bar so guess that's one way to fix it. lol

• 3 months later...
corey
2 minutes ago, cnwinger said:

Checking in a year later.  Is this on the roadmap for a future release yet?

We haven’t forgotten about it but we don’t have a specific release date yet. 

Jeffy.fisher@gmail.com

We Apple TV users have been waiting for this basic feature for a long time now. When we switched to using Apple TVs as our media players, (for reasons unimportant), I was shocked to discover this missing critical feature. It made my large movie database unusable. As a result we abandoned Emby in favour of Plex which DOES include it. I like Emby and would like to return from the Dark Side but until you pay attention to your Apple TV customers I must use what works.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
cnwinger

Really need to add this feature.  Scrolling large collections with Emby on AppleTV now is absolutely archaic.

Has it been prioritized for the next AppleTV release?

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, cnwinger said:

Really need to add this feature.  Scrolling large collections with Emby on AppleTV now is absolutely archaic.

Has it been prioritized for the next AppleTV release?

Hi, yes it is planned for future updates to the app. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Jeffy.fisher@gmail.com

I check back every couple of months here to see if that ‘future release’ has come to pass but it seems, not yet. I don’t suppose anyone would be brave at taking a stab at a possible hint of a rumour of some hearsay about when that future update may come to pass? …. holds breath excitedly…..

I so want to switch back to Emby. 

• 3 months later...
cnwinger

Any update on the release of this feature? I 'm hoping it's prioritized near the top of features for AppleTV?

Edited by cnwinger

Jeffy.fisher@gmail.com

You’re kidding cnwinger, yes? It seems to me that the Emby team don’t really care about us AppleTV users. This is a (basic) feature that makes Emby completely unusable for large library users on AppleTV and yet it remains ‘on the list’. That’s how important we are to Emby. I held out as long as I could but recently bought a lifetime Plex subscription. I don’t like Plex as much as Emby but they have a product that works. Somehow they managed to do what Emby says is very, very difficult. Hmmmmmmm…..

• Like 2

cnwinger

Yes, it's frustrating for me to purchase Emby Premiere lifetime and yet not have the very basic functionality that makes browsing a large movie collection possible on AppleTV.  Especially when I view the release notes for the last few Emby for AppleTV releases, and see items that are more "nice-to-haves" compared to this functionality that really should already be there.

However, I think that positives of Emby far outweigh the negatives, so I will keep checking in for an update, and hopefully the feature is released soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late to the problem, having just discovered Emby.  I would gladly pay for a lifetime subscription if I knew that Emby cared about AppleTV users, but it appears that they do not.  To have a basic feature like this sit untouched for four years is crazy.

Edited by WarrenM
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
Jeffy.fisher@gmail.com

Luke, I’m sorry to say that if the Emby team is still looking into this after all this time you might want to look for a new Emby team. What I suspect is happening is that Emby is NOT looking into this at all. This is an entirely unacceptable major flaw in your product on one of the biggest media servers on the market and shows a lack of consideration for your user base. Plex has had this functionality since it’s launch on the Apple TV box so it can’t be that difficult to implement. I’ve now given up and bought a lifetime Plex subscription.

Edited by Jeffy.fisher@gmail.com
Typo

Dlarge

I've been using Plex for over a year now as unfortunately I got really tired of talking to a wall here.

Unfortunately, I'm shocked to say that nothing has really changed when it comes to Emby on the AppleTV. All settings for adjusting the GUI are missing and DTS-HD playing movies is still like a toothache.🙄

There are still a lot of bugs in the interface. Doesn't any coder use their own version?
I will now post a few more errors in the hope that something will ever change.

I'm using "Infuse" with Emby Server now and I'm very satisfied.😉

• Agree 1

cnwinger
23 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, yes we are looking into this. Thanks.

You seem to be moving backwards. 8 months ago it was planned for a future release of the app.  Now you're back to looking into it?

Can you at the very least prioritize this at the top of the next release? Or will that release instead include some minor junk as opposed to a major UI flaw that's existed for...*checks thread date*... 4 years now?

This is pretty embarrassing.

• Agree 1