m3u playlists are empty after import

webpostkastl

webpostkastl

Hi,

first off a very big think you for finally making the import functionality for playlists available. Been waiting for this a very long time!

unfortunately it is not yet working for me, but I think it is just a minor path issue that needs to be fixed on my end, I'm just not getting what's going wrong...

so I'm running emby on a Synology NAS (DS916+)

its name is simply "DISKSTATION", my audio library is located on volume3, each artists has its own folder and each album has its own subfolder

e.g. /volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/AEROSMITH/[1975] Toys In The Attic/01. Toys In The Attic.mp3

all my m3u playlists are in a separate folder within my library - emby is properly picking up all playlists, the problem is they are empty

so I assume that there is something wrong with the path I'm using

I already checked the path via metadata of an mp3 file that was added to a manually added playlist and I used exactly the same

post-300717-0-22529800-1526050431_thumb.jpg

and that's my .m3u playlist with just 1 song for testing purposes:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,The Wings - Live And Let Die
/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/VARIOUS ARTISTS/[1970] Outtakes/Vol. 1/Live And Let Die (The Wings).mp3

the exact same is getting picked up fine by subsonic (same setup as emby)

I also tried //DISKSTATION/AUDIO/ALEX... and //ip:port/AUDIO/ALEX instead, but no luck

emby picks up the playlist, but does not show any songs:

post-300717-0-91678700-1526050425_thumb.jpg

post-300717-0-41679900-1526050656_thumb.jpg

the server log also shows that the playlist gets refreshed:

2018-05-11 16:46:37.264 Info LibraryMonitor: [Playlists] (/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/[Playlists]) will be refreshed.2018-05-11 16:46:37.264 Info LibraryMonitor: test (/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/[Playlists]/test.m3u) will be refreshed.

I'd highly appreaciate it if anyone could help me out

thanks & regards,

webpostkastl

Hi, make sure the path in the playlist exactly matches the way it is setup in emby server, case sensitive.

Try adding that to the playlist with the UI and see how it gets saved.

webpostkastl

Hi Luke, thanks for taking the time and responding so quickly. Unfortunately I'm still out of luck.

in the meantime I also tried the following:

1. import playlist "Lockhearts.m3u":

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:180,The Lockhearts - Leatherface
/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/THE LOCKHEARTS/[2018] Americana Doom Fuzz/01. Leatherface.mp3

again after the import the playlist was empty in emby
playlist path: /volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/[Playlists]/Lockhearts.m3u

2. then I added another song manually to this playlist via emby GUI
/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/THE LOCKHEARTS/[2018] Americana Doom Fuzz/04. Little Eden.mp3

3. library refresh

after scanning my library again this newly added song "Little Eden" now shows up, but the other one "Leatherface" is still missing
I also noticed that the actual playlist file didn't get changed - it still only has this one song included I tried to import at the beginning
playlist path still is /volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/[Playlists]/Lockhearts.m3u

manually created playlists show a different path:
/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/playlists/Ride Home [playlist]

(I was not able to find this location on my Synology)

I'm out of ideas, but I don't think that this is a matter of case sensitivity or anything path related

maybe it is a bug after all? Were you able to test this with a Synology NAS setup?

Try setting up an m3u somewhere, then add something to that playlist and see how emby saves the updated playlist.

webpostkastl

but that's exactly what I did. My m3u playlist was created externally (in Zune - yeah, I know who still uses Zune...)

then I imported it in emby and added a second song in emby to this playlist

the playlist path didn't change - it still shows the one where I initially saved it (on my NAS within my Library)

5af5ef717c947_emby_lockhearts.jpg

this file did not get changed at all after I added the second song

so I assume that emby was saving this update somewhere else, it just doesn't show where

and as mentioned I don't have any issues with these playlist when I import them in Subsonic (which is also running on my Synology NAS)

The playlist path won't change. check the contents of the playlist file after adding something to it using emby.

webpostkastl

as I already mentioned above, as soon as I add a file manually, the manually added file is available, but the one that was initially included while importing the playlist is not

I understand, but look at the contents of the m3u to see how it is writing the path and compare that to your existing ones.

webpostkastl

already did that. I even tried the exact same song and the path is exactly the same

e.g. 1 song I added manually shows path /volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/THE LOCKHEARTS/[2018] Americana Doom Fuzz/04. Little Eden.mp3

I checked this via emby GUI - edit metadata

then I copy/pasted this path to my m3u playlist. but once I import this playlist this song does not come up

it is only available if it is added manually

webpostkastl

yes, I copy/pasted the information directly from emby to my m3u file

- I created a manual playlist in emby with one song called "Xanax"

- then I selected edit metadata

- copy/paste of mp3 path

5af684bab29c1_xanax.jpg

m3u playlist:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:212,The Lockhearts - Xanax
/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/THE LOCKHEARTS/[2018] Americana Doom Fuzz/11. Xanax.mp3

it's exactly the same, but still - the manually created playlist plays this song fine, the imported one is empty

webpostkastl

could this maybe be a permission issue? I just noticed that I'm not able to delete an imported playlist via emby GUI, because emby is lacking write permission (at least that's what the error message says)

maybe I just need to give emby additional permissions to the playlist folder? although it wouldn't make much sense...

webpostkastl

new observation: I tried to keep it simple, so I created a playlist that I put directly in an album folder and updated my music library

the playlist was imported fine, but still empty

as mentioned my music collection is on a Synology NAS on volume 3:

/volume3/AUDIO/ALEX/THE LOCKHEARTS/[2018] Americana Doom Fuzz

so there are no directories in the paths, my m3u looks like this:

5af9aea95514d_emby_album_m3u.png

emby even created an album.nfo file, but the playlist ist still not working

running emby server version 3.4.1.0

Edited by webpostkastl

It's possible that it could be permissions, yes, if emby is not able to read the contents of the playlist file.

webpostkastl

also checked permissions now, tried different paths and different user permissions, still not working

I'm officially out of ideas

is there anybody else out there that got importing playlists working while running Emby on a Synology NAS?

Sorry, my mistake. Yes I can confirm an issue that is limited to the Synology release. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
soates1127

Ah yes, it’s not just me! I was going crazy last night trying to figure this out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinix

Hi. I'm experiencing this problem with Emby server 3.4.1.0 running on Windows Server 2012 Essentials too. M3U and WPL playlists are identified correctly by Emby but are imported with no entries. If you then make an addition to the playlist with Emby it overwrites the content of the existing playlist. I've checked the M3U and WPL file format and they appear correct. And the content written back to the playlist file by Emby is in the same format. For some unknown reason, Emby Server appears to recognise the playlist file correctly, creates the playlist entry but fails to import any content.

Hi. I'm experiencing this problem with Emby server 3.4.1.0 running on Windows Server 2012 Essentials too. M3U and WPL playlists are identified correctly by Emby but are imported with no entries. If you then make an addition to the playlist with Emby it overwrites the content of the existing playlist. I've checked the M3U and WPL file format and they appear correct. And the content written back to the playlist file by Emby is in the same format. For some unknown reason, Emby Server appears to recognise the playlist file correctly, creates the playlist entry but fails to import any content.

The paths in the playlist files need to exactly match the paths in emby library setup. have you checked on this?

martinix

Yes. I have checked this by writing back playlists from Emby and checking the pathnames in resulting playlist file.

For some unknown reason Emby identifies that a playlist exists, creates an entry of the playlist within Emby but is unable to import the playlist content.