[BUG] DTS no longer supported for 2018 TV devices results in no sound

FrostByte
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

FrostByte

Problem: When playing a movie containing DTS only audio tracks the movie has no sound. 

Unlike previous years you can no longer switch the audio output on the TV device and the TV does not support passthrough of DTS either.

Samsung has just updated their developer page stating:

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2018-tv-video-specifications

Important
DTS Audio codec is no longer supported on all 2018 TV Devices. If DTS Audio track is part of your manifest, make sure other audio tracks can be selected for smooth playback.

Expected behavior: Samsung app should test for 2018 TV devices (2018 BD players still support DTS) and automatically convert DTS to AC3 so there is sound

TV: 75Q8FN

App .29

Server: 3.4.0.0

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

MJRGarvey

I've recently purchased one of the new 2018 QLED TV's from Samsung.

Very nice - but I am mightily peeved that they have disabled DTS playback.

I have a lot of DTS MKV files.  There is no way that I want to have to convert the audio on these files.

Is there a way that I can force Emby to transcode DTS audio to AC3 DD or even MP3? - I'm not fussed about loosing the 5.1

Thanks for any help you can give.

FrostByte

AC3 5.1 would probably be preferable to most and the TV still passes that through ARC also

Edited by FrostByte

MJRGarvey

Thanks – any sort of AC3 would suit me.  But, is there a way to get Emby to convert DTS to AC3 during playback?

Or do I have to pre-convert my files before loading ton the server using Handbreak or something similar?

FrostByte

I don't believe there is a way to get the app to convert to AC3 right now without also transcoding the video by doing something like setting the bitrate lower than the source.

Luke and SamES are aware of the issue, but version 1.0.40 has been stuck in review at Samsung for some time now before they could submit a fix

My XB1X converts DTS to AC3, so I think this app just needs to do the same.  I feel your pain on converting DTS to AC3.  I've actually done that for a lot of my 4K movies, just not wanting to do that for all :(

SamES

We will put that in there. FrostByte, could you please send me a server log file so that I can verify the webkit version. Thanks

• Like 1

CBers

I've actually done that for a lot of my 4K movies, just not wanting to do that for all :(

I have used PopCorn MKV AudioConverter to batch convert DTS to AC3 for a number of years now.

It retains the DTS track if you want it kept, but makes the AC3 track the default.

• Like 2

FrostByte

We will put that in there. FrostByte, could you please send me a server log file so that I can verify the webkit version. Thanks

You should have a log now, thanks @SamES

FrostByte

I have used PopCorn MKV AudioConverter to batch convert DTS to AC3 for a number of years now.

It retains the DTS track if you want it kept, but makes the AC3 track the default.

That will definitely make the process go faster, thanks @CBers

CBers

That will definitely make the process go faster, thanks @CBers

We can discuss offline if you want, but the link above is pretty useful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MJRGarvey

I have found a work-around that works for most of my films.

On the Samsung TV app, change the playback quality to force transcoding.

1080p 5Mbps seems to do the trick.

No noticeable drop in playback quality.

I don't have a surround sound system, so, I don't know if the 5.1 sources are retained this way, but this works for me. 

Except, and maybe this is a different bug?  Subtitles are not rendered on the transcoded feed.

These only work when the file is directly played.

So, for the time being, I need to convert my foreign language films - but I can live with that.  

FrostByte

SamES said this is fixed in 1.0.41 , but we have to wait for 1.0.40 to be released by Samsung first :(  Fix should convert DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 without transcoding the video.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
holdestmade

I too have a 2018 QLED TV and pretty peeved that DTS has been dropped, if only I had checked before buying...

Anyway, can you confirm that the EMBY app update (when it arrives) will play DTS MKVs by converting on the fly ?

If not, is there a way to list all my movies that have a DTS soundtrack ? Maybe looking at the NFO files ? So I can batch convert

Thanks in advance

It may still direct play, depending on other factors. We are still looking into the best way to resolve this. Thanks.

holdestmade

OK thanks, I discovered the Reports plugin to list my DTS movies so I can set them batch converting, very handy tool !

darknessgp

SamES said this is fixed in 1.0.41 , but we have to wait for 1.0.40 to be released by Samsung first :( Fix should convert DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 without transcoding the video.

Is this only for the 2018? I've got a 2017 premium that is running emby 1.0.44 and it does not transcode DTS. I would prefer that it did as the Samsung tv won't switch audio modes correctly. So I get 2 channel pcm unless I manually go tell my TV to use DTS and then manually go back in to switch to DD when I hit the next file... Would prefer a setting in emby that just says disable direct play of dts.

FrostByte

The patch @SamES said he made where is automatically transcodes DTS to AC3 only detects the Tizen version in 2018s right now as there is no DTS decoder at all on 2018 TVs.  Hopefully, that made it into the version being tested now as I can't play half my library without manually converting the audio myself which is a royal pita.

However, there was discussion in another thread in here of having an option in the settings for 2015 - 2017 for those who wanted DTS automatically transcoded to AC3 to make them more user friendly (my wife sure wouldn't do it).  That has not been added yet.  That is one thing like about my old Orsay TV is that the TV itself auto changes the audio setting for you

• 3 weeks later...
IceBoosteR

Just my 2 cents: I think it's a shame that Samsung has removed DTS from the 2018 models. There are many good offers currently available, but with the note that DTS is no more supported, I do skip these. I mean, I appreciate that Emby will have the possibility to get a workaround done with AC3, but still there will be quality loss in some way, and this makes me sad. Just think about the fact that you have DTS and cannot use it :/

But I would not agree to have a default for the 2015-2017 models from automatically transcode DTS to AC3. Maybe as an option but not more. For usability Samsung made a mistake because you have to manually change your setting, but so what? Then you will end up with a 2 hours long movie with excellent sound - which is now not even played :(

Nevertheless I am happy to see the discussion here, so a workaround will be found, and the Emby developer found a way to "repair" Samsung mistakes.

Best

-Ice

FrostByte

He may have misread the statement

"there was discussion in another thread in here of having an option in the settings for 2015 - 2017 for those who wanted DTS automatically transcoded to AC3 "

2018 is the only one @SamES said he already patched to strictly convert DTS to AC3 because there is no DTS decoder at all on 2018s

Edited by FrostByte

IceBoosteR

He may have misread the statement

"there was discussion in another thread in here of having an option in the settings for 2015 - 2017 for those who wanted DTS automatically transcoded to AC3 "

2018 is the only one @SamES said he already patched to strictly convert DTS to AC3 because there is no DTS decoder at all on 2018s

Uhm yes, missed that...

• Like 1

IceBoosteR

Just another question: When you need to transcode from DTS with 1500kbit/s to AC3, do you have the cap at 640kbit/s? Or can you use AC3 as codec with all the information of the DTS audio, or will there be quality loss?

I am asking, even if this is offtopic, because I think about buying a 2018 Samsung TV because of the excellent price/performance...

I am just not sure what I will get at the end of the day when transcoding happens...

Thanks ind advance!

-Ice

Edited by IceBoosteR
  • Like 1

IceBoosteR

We can play with increasing that.

Is there any update to this?

I would like your opinion on that as I think DTS is very important. If there is a quality loss (and I do not know how Emby is handling that) then I will stay away from 2018 models.

Big Thanks in advance.