MacOS Setup

Luke

darwindeeds

Luke,

Not sure if you have tried this but you should include this as an alternative option to install MB Server on Mac OSX

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html and install the latest version of the mono pkg (I tried Mono MRE installer).

Then download the zip file from your original post.

Navigate to the downloaded/unzipped folder path in terminal and enter "mono  MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe". Voila!

I will do some research to find out what it would take to create dmg installer for it. 

im85288

Luke,

Not sure if you have tried this but you should include this as an alternative option to install MB Server on Mac OSX

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html and install the latest version of the mono pkg (I tried Mono MRE installer).

Then download the zip file from your original post.

Navigate to the downloaded/unzipped folder path in terminal and enter "mono  MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe". Voila!

I will do some research to find out what it would take to create dmg installer for it. 

Cool, but you missed the step for libgd which I think is used for the images and was needed when I installed the server. If this is not needed anymore I would be interested to know.

darwindeeds

Oops sorry, I have a development machine and some of the tools were already installed for me. 

I'm looking at Xamarin.mac to see if I can build a dmg for the server.

• Like 1

Nate8727

Oops sorry, I have a development machine and some of the tools were already installed for me. 

I'm looking at Xamarin.mac to see if I can build a dmg for the server.

I tried to at least get an App for Media Browser by following these instructions, but I kept getting errors about the MB3 version number.  I never did figure it out.  It's only making a physical App out of something thats already there, which is good temporarily until the actual installer is released.  Could you get it to work?  Maybe I made an easy error.

EDIT:

Here is the error I was getting:

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations, Version=3.0.5234.17863, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations, Version=3.0.5234.17863, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations, Version=3.0.5234.17863, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations, Version=3.0.5234.17863, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Creating a dmg package installer is way over my head.  If you could get it created, a lot of us would be grateful.

Thanks.

Edited by Nate8727

Nate8727

Alright, 

So I have read through the forum, followed the directions, and perhaps I am just braindead, but nothing seems to have worked.

How do I uninstall anything that got installed during the .mre & the .mdk installations (i did both) or... how can I make something work here?

Did you ever get it installed?  My instructions should help above.

Nate8727

Anyone know why mono won't load MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.dll?  That's the file keeping me from creating the App.

thejinx0r

Where do I find the logs?

I just installed it a few days ago, but it seems to be getting stuck at around 42% of updating my library and I'm not sure why.

I've also enabled to debug log, but not sure where to find them.

check the info tab on the dashboard and it will tell you the path to the logs

• Like 1

techywarrior

I just tried to setup MB3 on my friend's OS X machine (10.7.x)  and it didn't go so well.... two hours and I can't tell what the problem is. We gave up and it's not super important right now. We followed/tried to follow Nate's guide. First issue was that xcode 4.x which is required for 10.7 isn't available at the apple developer website. We finally managed to get that from somewhere else and proceeded. When trying to run MB Server it says that it failed to get a required component (ffmpeg) and fails.

Hoping that the installer gets written soon and that he can then install MB3 with no problem.

Nate8727

I just tried to setup MB3 on my friend's OS X machine (10.7.x)  and it didn't go so well.... two hours and I can't tell what the problem is. We gave up and it's not super important right now. We followed/tried to follow Nate's guide. First issue was that xcode 4.x which is required for 10.7 isn't available at the apple developer website. We finally managed to get that from somewhere else and proceeded. When trying to run MB Server it says that it failed to get a required component (ffmpeg) and fails.

Hoping that the installer gets written soon and that he can then install MB3 with no problem.

It's probably because you're using OS X 10.7.  You might want to upgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks and try again.  Since you had to obtain xcode from another source, I take it you didn't get the command line tools either?  Those are necessary for the installation.

techywarrior

Not sure if the machine isn't supported in 10.8+ or if he just didn't want to upgrade. He has 10.9 on his laptop so I am guessing it was a support issue.

We were able to install the command line tools because there is an option to install from within xcode. Do we need to restart or anything after all the installs? I have a feeling that the main issue was the install of libgd since you said that you got errors and there were prompts to follow. We didn't get any prompts and also the exact command you wrote didn't work at first. I suspect that it didn't install properly and there is a directory in it's place now that I should delete and then try again (since when I run the command now it says the file exists)

Nate8727

Not sure if the machine isn't supported in 10.8+ or if he just didn't want to upgrade. He has 10.9 on his laptop so I am guessing it was a support issue.

We were able to install the command line tools because there is an option to install from within xcode. Do we need to restart or anything after all the installs? I have a feeling that the main issue was the install of libgd since you said that you got errors and there were prompts to follow. We didn't get any prompts and also the exact command you wrote didn't work at first. I suspect that it didn't install properly and there is a directory in it's place now that I should delete and then try again (since when I run the command now it says the file exists)

I wasn't aware you could get command line tools from inside xcode.  It must be an older version.  This might be the reason it's not working correctly.

Make sure you accept the license agreement also.  I believe it causes issues if you don't.

Did you use the instructions from the first page or the 2nd page of this thread?  The 2nd page is the one you want.  Sorry for any confusion if you tried the first page, I need to delete those.

techywarrior

We used the second page instructions.

I'll leave it for a more experienced OS X person but I'll have my friend try again once the installer is ready.

disbellj

I looked at this topic:

http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/

... to make an alias to run the Media Browser from Applications folder where I placed it before making this alias.

alias runMBServer='cd /Applications/MBServer.Mono; mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe'

Note: After pasting above code into Terminal, you'll need to click Enter to save the alias, exit the file, refresh your profile and make your alias available.

Once this is done, you can then simply go to Terminal and type this to run Media Server:

runMBServer

And honestly, there are ways to make OS X installers for Windows programs, making an app that includes a version of Wine inside. Just need everything that it takes to run on Windows, and I can make an app for Mac OSX maybe.

Kindest regards,

Don

Edited by disbellj

• 3 weeks later...
im85288

I updated to the one linked in the first page and it states there is a newer version available?

Version 3.0.5267.18810

A new version of Media Browser Server is available!

Version 3.0.5271.29451 is now available for download.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really cool - my windows based TV server is too weedy to transcode, but I have an OSX server that's powerful enough. Sadly, I get told that the address is already in use: http://pastebin.com/AKSvUiUA

Running 

netstat -a | grep 8096
netstat -a | grep 8945

gives me nothing. I have mono brought in from homebrew (3.4) and libgdi installed by the big instructions on page 2.

Thanks for any help!

This is really cool - my windows based TV server is too weedy to transcode, but I have an OSX server that's powerful enough. Sadly, I get told that the address is already in use: http://pastebin.com/AKSvUiUA

Running 

netstat -a | grep 8096
netstat -a | grep 8945

gives me nothing. I have mono brought in from homebrew (3.4) and libgdi installed by the big instructions on page 2.

Thanks for any help!

The log is missing.

Phate

I got by this topic and skimmed over it. I know that it is possible to bundle Mono together with an application on OSX. So it should also be possible to bundle libgdi+ with it.

With an additional small application to start the server no terminal windows would be necessary. (Like xampp, it uses a small window to start,stop the apache server). It would also be possible to setup starting of mediabrowser at system start with a wizard from this small app.

I did not try to start MediaBrowser on my Mac as all my media files are placed on a server based on Linux.