MacOS Setup

Luke

AZRichG

I've noticed a couple things-

On my Mac ffmpeg takes up 200+% CPU which seems like a lot. That's the load I see when watching live tv from my HDHR Prime. The sound is a little crisp or gurgle-y also. When using a web page if I use the scrub bar to jump back it works, but jumping forward doesn't seem to jump. The circle moves but the video doesn't jump ahead to live.

When playing back recordings locally through a webpage it's taking up 400% of my CPUs. The sound is fine on the recordings.

Rich

I've noticed a couple things-

On my Mac ffmpeg takes up 200+% CPU which seems like a lot. That's the load I see when watching live tv from my HDHR Prime. The sound is a little crisp or gurgle-y also. When using a web page if I use the scrub bar to jump back it works, but jumping forward doesn't seem to jump. The circle moves but the video doesn't jump ahead to live.

When playing back recordings locally through a webpage it's taking up 400% of my CPUs. The sound is fine on the recordings.

Rich

Hi Rich,

It's possible that might just be as fast as your system can transcode the video. Have you looked into that? What browser are you trying to use?

AZRichG

I'm using Safari, the iMac is a mid 2011 3.4Ghz i7.

I have 'Enable Throttling' checked on the Transcoding page and 'Auto' for Transcoding Thread count. Is it just taking advantage of as many resources as it can because of the 'auto' setting? EyeTV and SiliconDust's View app both take up around 70% for a comparison, that's why I was curious.

BTW- just restarted with the new server, so I'll do a quick check to see what that does.

Edit-Didn't notice any difference in CPU % used in either playback or live TV but the sound seemed better (only tried one channel).

Rich

Edited by AZRichG

• 1 month later...

3.0.5867 for OSX is up for download now on the website. I haven't yet written it up into a blog announcement, but it has everything that this beta introduced:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-285-emby-server-305868-beta-released/

In addition to the Emby upgrade, we've also updated the embedded version of the mono runtime from 3.10 all the way to 4.2, which brings several months worth of stability and performance improvements from the mono team and Microsoft.

Upon installing this update, Emby server will self-upgrade it's database at startup. This process may take a little while so please be patient. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
THX1139

Hello, could you be so kind as to post the steps you took in editing your terminal? I must be doing something wrong as I can not get my local host to load the install wizard. When I enter the "sudo nano /etc/hosts and hit enter, my terminal looks correct in that it displays the following:

##

# Host Database

#

#

# localhost is used to configure the lookback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1            localhost

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcasthost

::1                 localhost

fe80::1%lo0      localhost

127.0.0.1 XXXXXMacBookPro

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

I didn't get the instructions either. Sounds like we're supposed to rename localhost or something. Kind of depressing when you fail the one step in a supposedly simple setup recipe. :/

In my case I'm planning to get a NAS with my next paycheck and I won't be using the Mac for Emby eventually. Just thought I'd try this out before I spend a couple of thousand on something.

• 3 weeks later...
j2048b

I didn't get the instructions either. Sounds like we're supposed to rename localhost or something. Kind of depressing when you fail the one step in a supposedly simple setup recipe. :/

In my case I'm planning to get a NAS with my next paycheck and I won't be using the Mac for Emby eventually. Just thought I'd try this out before I spend a couple of thousand on something.

i simply moved the cursos to where it said  localhost and deleted that and put in the name of my computer.... not sure if that is correct or not, but then proceded with the control+x and then pressed y,as it stands for the word yes.....

i hope im right but definetly not 00 % sure?

i can get anything to show up under kodi using the kodi add on any ways so i might be done with emby, nor do any of my files show up, but upstairs on my tv, it shows emby 1 and emby 2...not even sure what that is?

punking

I've been spending a few hours trying to get this to work on my macmini too. localhost:8096 doesn't work for me no matter how I edit the host file.

It doesn't bode well when even the start up gui doesn't work. I'm going to spend a little more time trying to get something out of it but I have a feeling that it's back to Plex for me.

Make sure to do the step mentioned on the download page of the website.

punking

Oh I did follow what was on the download page, at least I'm pretty sure I did.

I created 127.0.0.1 (my computer name) in the hosts file

I downloaded the installer and executed it.

I clicked on emby.server.mac in applications

The icon appeared in the menu bar, but didn't open a browser.

I manually opened a browser and entered in http://localhost:8096. It threw up a connection error, then if I right clicked on the emby icon in the menu bar and select any of the options the icon vanishes and the running process quits according to task activity.

I've tried this multiple times and the result is always the same.

Edited by punking

• 1 month later...
austinchief

I followed the instructions to install and I am unable to get the server to run.   I launch the server app and it runs for a few seconds then crashes.   I get a server*.txt and unhandled*.txt logs.

2016-06-02 11:46:20.5225 Error SqliteItemRepository: Error running queries

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.0.5972.0

Command line: /Applications/Emby.Server.Mac.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Emby.Server.Mac.exe

Operating system: Unix 15.4.0.0

Processor count: 8

64-Bit OS: False

64-Bit Process: False

Program data path: /Users/dpearce/.config/mediabrowser-server

Mono: 4.2.3 (explicit/832de4b)

Application Path: /Applications/Emby.Server.Mac.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Emby.Server.Mac.exe

SQL logic error or missing database

table TypedBaseItems has no column named Path

System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare (System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection cnn, System.String strSql, System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, System.String& strRemain) <0xa8e27f0 + 0x00a5b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand () <0xa8e2520 + 0x00188> in <filename unknown>:0 

2016-06-02 11:46:20.5341 Error Main: UnhandledException

*** Error Report ***

Command line: /Applications/Emby.Server.Mac.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Emby.Server.Mac.exe

Application Path: /Applications/Emby.Server.Mac.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Emby.Server.Mac.exe

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare (System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection cnn, System.String strSql, System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, System.String& strRemain) <0xa8e27f0 + 0x00a5b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand () <0xa8e2520 + 0x00188> in <filename unknown>:0 

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0xc17fb58 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xc17f7e0 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xc17f678 + 0x00083> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xa774b18 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () <0xa774af0 + 0x00013> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common.ApplicationHost+<RegisterResources>c__async1.MoveNext () <0xa0775a0 + 0x05bff> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0xc17fb58 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xc17f7e0 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xc17f678 + 0x00083> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0xa774b18 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () <0xa774af0 + 0x00013> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1+<Init>c__async0[TApplicationPathsType].MoveNext () <0x6a79aa8 + 0x005c3> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.MainClass+<StartServer>c__async0.MoveNext () <0x6a76998 + 0x0017f> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>m__1 (System.Object state) <0xc17ff78 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (System.Object state) <0x57c2190 + 0x00037> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x57bcd18 + 0x00196> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x57bcc58 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () <0x57c2028 + 0x0004b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () <0x57c1248 + 0x00185> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () <0x57c1188 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common.ApplicationHost+<RegisterResources>c__async1.MoveNext () <0xa0775a0 + 0x05bff> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1+<Init>c__async0[TApplicationPathsType].MoveNext () <0x6a79aa8 + 0x005c3> in <filename unknown>:0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.MainClass+<StartServer>c__async0.MoveNext () <0x6a76998 + 0x0017f> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>m__1 (System.Object state) <0xc17ff78 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (System.Object state) <0x57c2190 + 0x00037> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x57bcd18 + 0x00196> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x57bcc58 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () <0x57c2028 + 0x0004b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () <0x57c1248 + 0x00185> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () <0x57c1188 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0 

I followed the instructions to install and I am unable to get the server to run.   I launch the server app and it runs for a few seconds then crashes.   I get a server*.txt and unhandled*.txt logs.

2016-06-02 11:46:20.5225 Error SqliteItemRepository: Error running queries

*** Error Report ***

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare (System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection cnn, System.String strSql, System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, System.String& strRemain) in :0 

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand () in :0 

2016-06-02 11:46:20.5341 Error Main: UnhandledException

*** Error Report ***

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare (System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection cnn, System.String strSql, System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, System.String& strRemain) in :0 

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common.ApplicationHost+c__async1.MoveNext () in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1+c__async0[TApplicationPathsType].MoveNext () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.MainClass+c__async0.MoveNext () in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.m__1 (System.Object state) in :0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (System.Object state) in :0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) in :0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) in :0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () in :0 

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () in :0 

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common.ApplicationHost+c__async1.MoveNext () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1+c__async0[TApplicationPathsType].MoveNext () in :0 

at MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.MainClass+c__async0.MoveNext () in :0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.m__1 (System.Object state) in :0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (System.Object state) in :0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) in :0 

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) in :0 

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () in :0 

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () in :0 

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () in :0 

Hi, try shutting down the server, then deleting the library.db file under

/Users/dpearce/.config/mediabrowser-server/data

• 1 month later...

I've posted the mac version of the new release a little early so that new users can start getting it now. You can grab it from the website if you'd like to try it:

http://emby.media/mac-server.html

The release is not up on the blog yet but you can read the changelist from the latest beta:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Lots of performance improvements, bug fixes, and a few new features. Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

We have Emby Server running under the new Microsoft runtime for OSX, for those who would like to try it out. I've posted about it in the linux section but you can follow the same instructions:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41636-emby-server-running-under-net-core/

Eventually this will replace the mono runtime for us, although we're not yet sure how far away that is from happening. Enjoy.

• 5 months later...
jakepe

i can see there is a new server version available  3.2.13 - but when i download the server installer it only shows 3.2.10 on my mac ?

i can see there is a new server version available  3.2.13 - but when i download the server installer it only shows 3.2.10 on my mac ?

hi @@jakepe, please try downloading again and let us know what the version number is afterwards. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
MikeTech

This latest version is working great for me, so far so good. However, I am having no success in finding a best-practices guide for noobs on maximizing security for the server - can some well-informed and benevolent soul please point me in the right direction? I have searched this forum and the wiki, and have turned up a few snippets and suggestions here and there about SSL, etc. but am looking for more of a stepwise how-to recipe that works well on the OS X platform. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Great news for Emby Server for Mac. Once you've updated to 3.2.24, you can now use the Cover Art plugin. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas

Emby server on my mac has come SO far over the past year that I am almost ready to switch over from Plex. One thing that still doesn't work is real time monitoring. Just out of curiosity does anyone who is running the server on a Mac based system have this working? At one point it worked for my Movies folder but for some unknown reason it has never worked on my TV Shows folder. The only way for me to get Emby to recognize new content is for me to initiate a manual scan.

Im looking into trying out the DVR functionality of Emby and as you would guess, if Emby is not going to recognize new content when the DVR adds an episode that is going to be very problematic (unless this feature uses a different mechanism for adding shows?)

There is an option per library to enable the realtime monitor. However, you do not need to enable it just for the DVR feature.

Thanks !

• 4 months later...

One thing that still doesn't work is real time monitoring. Just out of curiosity does anyone who is running the server on a Mac based system have this working? At one point it worked for my Movies folder but for some unknown reason it has never worked on my TV Shows folder. The only way for me to get Emby to recognize new content is for me to initiate a manual scan.

I have another post out about this, and waiting for a response ... in the meantime, by any chance are the folders in question on a networked drive, or a local drive? I suspect that networked drives cannot be monitored in real time, for some reason ... although it works on Plex. I've never been able to get realtime monitoring working in Emby. All my media drives are NAS, none of them are local drives.

Edited by BEiseman