MacOS Setup

Luke

Tuxedo

I assume the instruction to modify the non-existent /etc/host meant /etc/hosts, yes?

edit: I'm referring to the installation instructions. After seeing that and assuming it was a typo, but then getting the various first-run issues otherwise posted in here, I started worrying, but I eventually got the server running correctly.

Edited by Tuxedo

You need to delete the hidden media browser folder in Users/.config and then re-download the link and try again.  This will redo all of your settings though, but should wipe all of the phantom closing.

Thanks Nate8727, but I can't even get the server to install beyond placing an icon in my Apps folder and task bar. I've also tried going to http://localhost:8096 as suggested on the download page but always get

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8096."

• 2 weeks later...
Rodman

Hello,

installed the emby server on a new mac mini with yosemite on it.

the web interface looks stunning and it imports somewhat our quite big library - but...

it super slow and gives a ton of errors and seems to have problems to import the tv section.

also the search doesn't search at all...

here our log file - hope we can find out what the problem is...

we looking forward to use this amazing server!!

thank you a lot!!

Log.txt

Hello all,

Has the Mac Server install been resolved? I have downloaded Emby.Server.Mac.pkg from the download page on every browser I have (chrome, firefox, safari) and installed MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.app on everyone. All I get is the  icon in my task bar that disappears whenever I select either browse or configure. It does not go through any kind of setup. I'm using a MacBook running Yosemite if that matters.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Hello all,

I am still having problems getting Media Browser for Mac to install. I have followed the new instructions to include the Terminal changes, but cannot get to an kind of install wizard. All I get is the Media Browser icon and options to Browse Media Library, Configure Media Browser, etc...When clicking on either, the icon just disappears...I do get the popup to allow incoming connections when first opening the app, which I allow, but no install wizard.

Any help?

Thanks

Thanks Luke,

I'm getting closer. I figured out that once I installed the server app, I had to delete the installer package out of downloads, however it is hanging up at "http://localhost:8096/web/dashboard.html". I have allowed incoming connections for MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.app but it just keeps "waiting for local host".

Thanks for any further help.

• 2 weeks later...

The website has been updated with the latest stable release - 3.0.5675.1. Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Is there anyone out there that has successfully installed and got past the preferred language screen of Emby install wizard? Sarcastic maybe, but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have made the host changes in Terminal, and after opening and closing the Media Browser app am able to get to the "Welcome to Emby" screen, but no further. No language displays and the page just spins "waiting for localhost". I can reload contantly, with no change.

Using Macbook Pro running Yosemite.

I can't think that I am the only one out there...

Thank you

Edited by sgb
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
mjeshurun

Hi, 

Could anyone tell me if Emby beta ver 3.0.5713 is available for mac?

Also, is there a reason I don't see the new Emby app icon in the application folder and Launchpad? I am on ver 3.0.5675.1 and I still see the old Media Browser Server app icon. 

Thanks! :)

Edited by mjeshurun

hstamas

Is anyone able to use the Mac version of the server reliably? I did a test setup on a Windows PC and all went well. When I set up the server on my 2012 Mac mini running Yosemite I am having nothing but issues navigating the interface reliably. Most of the time whole parts of the interface are missing. I've tried refreshing and also clearing my browser cache with no results. Sometimes when I quit the server and start again things will act normally for a little while only to return to an interface that's impossible to navigate. For example, right now if I go the the main server screen I cannot press the settings button. It does nothing. I also just added a new media type for TV. As soon as I added it not only did the TV type not show up but now my Movies section is gone. If I go to the media browser screen, my movies are still there and I now have a folder for TV but back in the server configuration section I have nothing so I can't event add a TV source to populate the section I added.

This is just one example. Adding a movie never resulted in a automatic scan. If I force a scan the server locks up. Since I'm just getting started should I cut my losses and give up before I go even deeper? Seeing how few posts there are in the OS X part of the forum tells me that the support just isn't there because so few people are using a Mac as a server.

hstamas

Ugh thats so deflating to hear to be honest. Just added 52 TV shows consisting of may1500 total episodes and it locked the server up tight with an error to the tune of Cache unsuccessful - to many open files.

I so want this to work. Are you saying that you can access your Mac Emby server via a web browers either on another laptop or like in my case an iPad and seamlessly navigate all the menu items as well as you media library with no graphical issues whatsoever? My mac server is pretty beefy. Core i7 with 16GB. Setup consisted of editing my host file per the instructions, installing the server and then adding first a small movie section of 191 movies. Ive tried accessing the server via Safari, Chrome and Firefox with various degrees of success/failure. Seems that the more I do in the server settings area the more chance there is of it eventually giving up and start glitching. Makes any kind of metadata maintenance impossible for example as eventually I need to restart the server to get things working again but even that doesn't fix it at times.

There seems to be common posts in this section showing the exact same issues i am having but there is no followup posts so I have to assume that these users just gave up?

Edited by hstamas

Hi, 

Could anyone tell me if Emby beta ver 3.0.5713 is available for mac?

Also, is there a reason I don't see the new Emby app icon in the application folder and Launchpad? I am on ver 3.0.5675.1 and I still see the old Media Browser Server app icon. 

Thanks! :)

I am on a Mac and attempts at updates have failed all day according to my inbox.  I set my auto updates to beta just for the new live tv setup with hdhomerun and cannot get it to update.  I wish there were a manual way to do it 

mjeshurun

I am on a Mac and attempts at updates have failed all day according to my inbox. I set my auto updates to beta just for the new live tv setup with hdhomerun and cannot get it to update. I wish there were a manual way to do it

I have exactly the same problem.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

It sounds like some are able to get past installation on OSX. I am still having problems getting Localhost to load the installation. I have gone through the terminal changes, downloaded the installation package, and installed the app. I can not get the app to actually install. The MB icon will either disappear when trying to configure, or if I double click on the app and try to load http://localhost:8096/web/wizardstart.html, it will either constanly look for local host, or may load just a black page. Ocassional, it will load a partial setup page, but not a functional one.

What have those that have had success did differently?

Thank you

hstamas

I never got the whole localhost to work properly. I am wondering it that is part of the issue that us poor OS X users are having system wide? To get to the setup screens or the server in general I just use the IP address of that machine. In your browser you would type for example: 192.168.1.144:8096 (the IP of the machine the server is running on then a colon then the port number. Since you are still trying to do the setup the port should be 8096 - the default number).

I'd really be curious to hear from other OS X users if they can use and navigate MB server with any kind of reliable consistency. The Admin seems to be able too but reading this particular forum I wonder if he is the only one?

Edited by hstamas

I never got the whole localhost to work properly. I am wondering it that is part of the issue that us poor OS X users are having system wide? To get to the setup screens or the server in general I just use the IP address of that machine. In your browser you would type for example: 192.168.1.144:8096 (the IP of the machine the server is running on then a colon then the port number. Since you are still trying to do the setup the port should be 8096 - the default number).

I'd really be curious to hear from other OS X users if they can use and navigate MB server with any kind of reliable consistency. The Admin seems to be able too but reading this particular forum I wonder if he is the only one?

I have not had any issue with setup or loading the server.  The only issue I have encountered is, for some reason, it does not recognize my WD My Cloud device.  Fortunately I have a 4tb external hd I use for backup so I am using that at the moment.  The update issue was fixed yesterday and that installed smoothly for me.  I am running the latest build of El Capitan if that matters

hstamas

Just installed one more time and chose "beta" for the update option. I am now running version 3.0.5713.4 Is this the new beta? How do we know?

Anyway, this try I've successfully added my 1500 TV episodes and I can navigate the server setting from a web browser without all the graphical glitches. 

Ive only tested this for about 15 minutes but it looks promising. If I am indeed running the beta that Luke mentions above, it may have fixed my initial issues.

Update: Well it didn't last long. See the screenshot. I added 190 movies to my database an hour ago. Am I not waiting long enough for the thumbnails to populate or something?

post-45887-0-23127900-1440787701_thumb.jpg

Edited by hstamas