MacOS Setup

Luke

njramsfan

stupid question. my brother has an old mac that I want to install the media server but it's running OX leopard. I didn't noticed any requirement so I'm guessing the media server can be installed on any OS X? 

techywarrior

I think you are going to have problems getting the pre-reqs for MBS installed on that version of OS X. MBS needs Mono and Mono required some other stuff in OS X. It's been a year or so since I last tried it but I believe the computer we were trying to use was running OS X Leopard and we couldn't get it to work.

njramsfan

I think you are going to have problems getting the pre-reqs for MBS installed on that version of OS X. MBS needs Mono and Mono required some other stuff in OS X. It's been a year or so since I last tried it but I believe the computer we were trying to use was running OS X Leopard and we couldn't get it to work.

ahh.. well. I'll still give it a try.. lol. Actually it's running snow leopard.. but I might be able to update to Lion.. or mountain lion.. other than that, I might just get a NAS.. 

where is an install guide to install the latest version of media browser?  I installed the .pkg but when starting the app nothing happens and I get requested to allow developer tools access to proceed, but still nothing happens.

asiajason

So is the Mac Install now just "one-click" - don't have to install all that other stuff?  When I click on the link in the first post, there are no more instructions - it just leads to a ".dmg"....

Nate8727

Yes. It's an actual Mac application now. Just run the dmg file, and install like you would any other Mac program. Media browser runs in the little icon at the top of the screen by the date.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry - moving question to a separate thread. Not sure my question directly relates to OS X setup.

Edited by brossow

I am able to "bypass" the first error by leaving it blank, but I cannot complete the setup process and progress past the second error. Originally I setup a domain and attempted to establish a VPN network to ensure my ISP wasn't throttling my out going traffic (i.e. server.peteflix.net). I have since removed any configuration related to that, but I am encountering this error in the setup process. Is there a chance that there are remaining configuration files from my initial setup of MB3 prior to the installer? I really want to get this up and running, any help is greatly appreciated.

I am having the same on my Mac Pro (but do not see it on my Mac Laptop?)

Any advise as to how to continue the setup process?

Thanks...

• 1 month later...
Nate8727

Thanks...

Try deleting the whole media browser directory from the .config folder.  You'll have to enable hidden folders first.  Then reinstall.

didoda

Thanks...

I've the same problem. I fix it, when I change the name of my mac, on system preferences->condivision->name of computer. After name of computer change it works, but I don't know why :)

551841834e7c5_Schermata20150329alle20155

• 2 weeks later...
jadeng62

Hi guys, I'm very new to this whole server thing and would like to ask a dumb question :(

I just installed the OSX server a few days ago and then there's a new version (which it said shut down the server then update manually). After doing that, I can no longer open the mediabrowser app. Whenever I clicked it, it will show up on the taskbar (like the previous version) but when I click it to choose anything (configure/browse/etc) it will terminate itself. I decided to do a clean install of mediabrowser and the same thing still happened...I'm not sure what I did wrong and how to fix it :(...

Florux

There's a bug in the latest version. Try downloading again, as they have rolled the installer back to the previous version, which works. There is another thread in this forum that describes the problem in a bit more detail.

-Florux

• Like 1

Ok guys, the Mac installer has been updated on the website. I apologize for skipping over you guys for a release period, won't happen again :)

I had some difficulty with ImageMagick so I added the ability for the server to fallback to the older GDI-based image processing. This means the image processing features are going to have a reduced feature set. If there's anybody who would like to help get this squared away, feel free to respond and I'll provide more info. Thanks.

2hansen

I go tio http://emby.media/download/#ServerOSX click on the OSX icon - in the modal I click "download" which points to https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Server/Emby.Server.pkg (which doesn't exist) 

<a class="bttn-thin closemodal" href="https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Server/Emby.Server.pkg"> <span class="mb3icon-mbs"></span>  Download Release</a>

The working link is https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Server/Emby.Server.Mac.pkg , isn't it?

B:)

Edited by 2hansen

grimsage

Trying to set up my server and get an error massage saying....Could Not Resolve Host media.private.

could you do me open up terminal and type, hostname into the terminal.  I have not seen a mac with a .private on the hostname before.

It seems like it is somewhat like the error found here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18498-fresh-install-could-not-resolve-xxxlocal/

Could you also tell us where exactly are you seeing this erorr, maybe a screenshot or something to help better diagnose what is going on?

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Has the Mac Server install been resolved? I have downloaded Emby.Server.Mac.pkg from the download page on every browser I have (chrome, firefox, safari) and installed MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.app on everyone. All I get is the  icon in my task bar that disappears whenever I select either browse or configure. It does not go through any kind of setup. I'm using a MacBook running Yosemite if that matters.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Edited by sgb

Nate8727

Hello all,

Has the Mac Server install been resolved? I have downloaded Emby.Server.Mac.pkg from the download page on every browser I have (chrome, firefox, safari) and installed MediaBrowser.Server.Mac.app on everyone. All I get is the  icon in my task bar that disappears whenever I select either browse or configure. It does not go through any kind of setup. I'm using a MacBook running Yosemite if that matters.

Any ideas?

Thank you

You need to delete the hidden media browser folder in Users/.config and then re-download the link and try again.  This will redo all of your settings though, but should wipe all of the phantom closing.