MacOS Setup

Luke

I don't know if you're familiar with Plex. On OS X, plex lives in the menubar running in the background.

I don't know if thats how the mediabrowser team imagined it would be, but i hope they're using the same idea's. Small and unintrusive. 

Maybe it's gonna be a third party that's going to develop from the source, and that person may have a totally different idea :).

But yes, the "official" mediabrowser app is not going to rely on the terminal :).

So, I need to keep terminal open once I run the command? Because if I close it, Media Browser goes offline.

The stable build is up for you guys to play with. While we don't have an installer yet, I've done some testing this week to resolve a few issues. You shouldn't have to worry about libgdiplus anymore. See the first post for the simplified instructions.

• Like 1

@@Davis3 can you please take a look at the first post and attempt to get it running now. I'm sure if you run into any issues or have questions someone here will be glad to help you.

porkchopsoda

I got some funky things going on. Went through the threads here, and whatever I could find online to address it myself before making the post.  I have the latest packages installed for mono and media browser on my Mac Mini. OSX 10.9.5 64bit.  I did a dry run last night, and things went ok, until there was some time outs, and I traced it some router half way, 5 or so hops.

This looks to be some image processor that is looking for something local.  I do have X11 installed with the latest . I update the paths at runtime to point to the library, so maybe I missed something.  

For context, I did look at other posts, and I did manually install the needed libraries as noted (gd-2.0.34.tar.gz) 

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

(fyi. I don't have macports, as I use homebrew and they don't get along very well.)

Info, AuthenticationRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /Applications/MediaBrowser.Mono/ProgramData-Server/data/authentication.db
Error, ImageProcessor, Error loading libwebp: 
	./libwebp/osx/libwebp.5.dylib
	System.DllNotFoundException
	  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Imazen.WebP.Extern.NativeMethods:WebPGetEncoderVersion ()
	  at Imazen.WebP.SimpleEncoder.GetEncoderVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.LogWebPVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Following that, I assume that when the virtual env is kicking off, it is calling something local that is saying the I am not there.  This started happing today only.  

Info, HttpServer, Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:8096/mediabrowser/
Running startup tasks
Info, App, Core startup complete
Info, Dlna, SSDP service started
Error, Dlna, Error registering endpoint
Could not resolve host 'MakiMini'
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
  at System.Net.Dns.Error_11001 (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.hostent_to_IPHostEntry (System.String originalHostName, System.String h_name, System.String[] h_aliases, System.String[] h_addrlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry (System.String hostNameOrAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Networking.BaseNetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddressesFallback () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Networking.BaseNetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.Networking.NetworkManager.MediaBrowser.Common.Net.INetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.RegisterServerEndpoints () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.StartDlnaServer () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Error, Connect, Error registering with Connect
  at System.Net.Dns.Error_11001 (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.hostent_to_IPHostEntry (System.String originalHostName, System.String h_name, System.String[] h_aliases, System.String[] h_addrlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (System.String hostName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry (System.String hostNameOrAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Networking.BaseNetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddressesFallback () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Networking.BaseNetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.Networking.NetworkManager.MediaBrowser.Common.Net.INetworkManager.GetLocalIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.get_HttpServerIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.GetLocalIpAddress () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.GetSystemInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Connect.ConnectManager+<UpdateConnectInfoInternal>d__3.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Error, Dlna, Error creating play to controller
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.get_HttpServerIpAddresses () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.DeviceDiscovery._ssdpHandler_MessageReceived (System.Object sender, MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.SsdpMessageEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Edited by porkchopsoda

akafester

I got some funky things going on. Went through the threads here, and whatever I could find online to address it myself before making the post.  I have the latest packages installed for mono and media browser on my Mac Mini. OSX 10.9.5 64bit.  I did a dry run last night, and things went ok, until there was some time outs, and I traced it some router half way, 5 or so hops.

This looks to be some image processor that is looking for something local.  I do have X11 installed with the latest . I update the paths at runtime to point to the library, so maybe I missed something.  

For context, I did look at other posts, and I did manually install the needed libraries as noted (gd-2.0.34.tar.gz) 

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

(fyi. I don't have macports, as I use homebrew and they don't get along very well.)

Info, AuthenticationRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /Applications/MediaBrowser.Mono/ProgramData-Server/data/authentication.db
	  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Imazen.WebP.Extern.NativeMethods:WebPGetEncoderVersion ()
	  at Imazen.WebP.SimpleEncoder.GetEncoderVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.LogWebPVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Following that, I assume that when the virtual env is kicking off, it is calling something local that is saying the I am not there.  This started happing today only.  

Info, HttpServer, Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:8096/mediabrowser/
Running startup tasks
Info, App, Core startup complete
Error, Dlna, Error registering endpoint
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.RegisterServerEndpoints () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Main.DlnaEntryPoint.StartDlnaServer () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Error, Connect, Error registering with Connect
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.GetLocalIpAddress () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.ApplicationHost.GetSystemInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Connect.ConnectManager+<UpdateConnectInfoInternal>d__3.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Error, Dlna, Error creating play to controller
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.DeviceDiscovery._ssdpHandler_MessageReceived (System.Object sender, MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.SsdpMessageEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

In regards to the X11 stuff i would recommend you install from the official site http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.7.

I used this version and the mono 3.10, and then in terminal wrote: sudo mono mediabrowser.server.mono.exe.

It works just fine after those two pieces of software :)

• Like 1

porkchopsoda

I got a little further. I needed to create a mapping in etc/hosts for my host name to 127.0.0.1. When this was not there, the instance went pretty bonkers trying to enable the dlna service. I did try and disable everything dlna in the browser instance at runtme, but it was stuck in some bad loop.  I can PM the logs if you care to see the event. 

I still cant sort out this error however. I am running XQuartz 2.7.7 (xorg-server 1.15.2), so not sure what's going on.

Now that this is sort of stable, I will try some links to other devices, and curious how xbmc on my fire tv will perform.  xbmc has been pretty buggy running on its own, so I don't have high hopes. 

Well I helped @@Davis3 get it up and running, I know very little about the mac but it's up and running and seems to work. He will probably be posting a question here soon but where we got stuck last night was with DLNA enabled and blast alive messages the 360 still didn't show the MB Server but MB3 Server could see the 360. He has 2 360's he would love to use with DLNA so if anyone has any experience on that with the Mac version of the server it would be greatly appreciated.

I just thought about DLNA Play to, not sure if we tried that side of it, perhaps that will work.

akafester

The new version of MediaBrowser is installed and no problems. Still the same setup, mono MRE 3.10 and the X11 from a few posts back. 

It works without a hitch, sort of. The media gets scanned, coverart and all that stuff is shown and DLNA is working (i have only tried on my panasonic TV but works better than plex (YAAAY!!!!))

The "sort of" is because i had a small hiccup with a crash on the initial library update, but i ran fine after a restart of mediabrowser.

I have had problems with the older versions of mediabrowser crashing totally random sometimes weeks apart. I will keep an eye out on this new version though. 

porkchopsoda

I am not able to connect to any devices.  Media browser can see my air play service on my fire tv via waxrain, but nothing else.

Here is the output from the console.  If someone could share what is being called here for what reason, I can further debug.

. USN: uuid:a88351a89d11084d89af5baef10ce1d7::upnp:rootdevice424.14d89af5baef10ce1d7/description.xml
	The requested address is not valid in this context
	  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndSend (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.Datagram+<>c__DisplayClass1.<Send>b__0 (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

. USN: uuid:a88351a89d11084d89af5baef10ce1d7::urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1scription.xml
	  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndSend (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.Ssdp.Datagram+<>c__DisplayClass1.<Send>b__0 (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

. USN: uuid:a88351a89d11084d89af5baef10ce1d7::urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1ion.xml

. USN: uuid:a88351a89d11084d89af5baef10ce1d7ediaBrowser/3.0.5424.14d89af5baef10ce1d7/description.xml

Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/rss/1-media-browser-developers-blog
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/MB3ServerNotifications.json

Able to get everything up and running thanks to @@BAS however I cannot get my xbox 360 to connect. I tried going through by using the remote feature to connect to the xbox but my mac mini gives me an error that states "There was an error processing the request.Please try again later."  The xbox has a completely green screen until i back out to the home menu. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have 2 Media Browser's showing up on Xbox One. They both seem to see the movies I have, but not the TV shows. Just started happening after I updated to the newest version of Media Browser.

I do have dmg package ready for you guys to play with. I'm currently chasing down an issue of the menubar icon disappearing randomly, even though the server is running normally in the background without error. Aside from that it's ready to go.

• Like 1

Nate8727

I do have dmg package ready for you guys to play with. I'm currently chasing down an issue of the menubar icon disappearing randomly, even though the server is running normally in the background without error. Aside from that it's ready to go.

Did you choose the option to keep in dock (Right Click/Options/Keep in Dock)?

No I've been shooting for avoiding the dock and using the top right menu bar. and it's all great until the menu bar icon disappears. aside from that it's all in great shape. i'm getting tired of fighting it so i might just have to switch to the dock and save it for another day.

Gododgerz

I have previously installed MB3 server using the long method that required the terminal window open and basically deemed the process not very user friendly. I was excited to see an installer for Mac was finally available and attempted to install the program again in hopes that I would be able to finally take advantage of all that MB3 has to offer. I am running into a couple issues during the install process that I fear may stem from my previous install attempt and do not know how to completely wipe all previous files from the machine in effort to perform a clean install. The first issue I am encountering is entering my info for the Media Browser connect (see screen shot 1) and the second comes once I try and click next to complete the configuration settings (see screen shot 2) I cannot complete the install process and would appreciate any guidance the community can provide.

547ac111e4b22_Screen_Shot_20141130_at_12

547ac13bdbabf_Screen_Shot_20141130_at_12

Nate8727

I have more of a question on the new Mac install.  Everything is working great so far btw.

When trying to access mb from a computer on the local network, I have to use the external address for it to work.  Neither localhost or the server ip address is working.  Rokus in the house are still ok.

I have previously installed MB3 server using the long method that required the terminal window open and basically deemed the process not very user friendly. I was excited to see an installer for Mac was finally available and attempted to install the program again in hopes that I would be able to finally take advantage of all that MB3 has to offer. I am running into a couple issues during the install process that I fear may stem from my previous install attempt and do not know how to completely wipe all previous files from the machine in effort to perform a clean install. The first issue I am encountering is entering my info for the Media Browser connect (see screen shot 1) and the second comes once I try and click next to complete the configuration settings (see screen shot 2) I cannot complete the install process and would appreciate any guidance the community can provide.

547ac111e4b22_Screen_Shot_20141130_at_12

547ac13bdbabf_Screen_Shot_20141130_at_12

the error message needs to be improved but it failed to contact our connect server. try stepping through it again except this time leave that blank. then add it after you're done.

Gododgerz

I am able to "bypass" the first error by leaving it blank, but I cannot complete the setup process and progress past the second error. Originally I setup a domain and attempted to establish a VPN network to ensure my ISP wasn't throttling my out going traffic (i.e. server.peteflix.net). I have since removed any configuration related to that, but I am encountering this error in the setup process. Is there a chance that there are remaining configuration files from my initial setup of MB3 prior to the installer? I really want to get this up and running, any help is greatly appreciated.