MacOS Setup

Luke

• 3 weeks later...
akafester

A little question.

I have media browser setup on a mac through mono 3.8. During installation of mono there's a list of components included in mono 3.8.

One of those is libgdiplus-2.11 which i guess is the same referred to in the first post.

I then installed X11 and made sure that ffmpeg was in the correct place. 

Even after a reboot i don't get cover art on any of the stuff added to mediabrowser. 

Is mediabrowser depended on a different libgdiplus? And where is it supposed to be? 

This README is for Mono.framework 3.8.0_7.

This is the Mono Runtime and Development Platform (http://www.mono-project.com/).

This package installs Mono and all of its dependencies inside of /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework. This behavior is likely to change with a future release so that dependancies will get their own frameworks.

The following components are included inside Mono.framework:

boo-0.9.4
giflib-4.1
ccache-3.1.9

gtk-doc-1
tar-1
mono-3.8.0
boo-0.9.4.9
pango-1.35.0
libpng-1.4
freetype-2.5.0
giflib-4.1.6
autoconf-2.69
murrine-0.98
libffi-3.0
librsvg-2.37.0
libcroco-0.6.8

hicolor-icon-theme-0.12

gtk-quartz-engine-master

mono-mono-basic-a74642a

.Trashes

IronLanguages-main-de63773

cairo-1.12.14

gdk-pixbuf-2.28.2

freetype-2.5.0.1

cairo-1.12
nuget-2.8.1
libffi-3.0.13

sqlite-autoconf-3071300

gtk-engines-2.20.2

autoconf-2

pkg-config-0
libtool-2.4

gtk-sharp-2.12.21

xsp-3.0.11

automake-1.13
llvm-3.0
pkg-config-0.27

intltool-0.50

ige-mac-integration-0.9.4

xz-5.0.4 mono-xsp-4587438

glib-2.36.4

libxml2-2.9
jpeg-8
expat-2.0
mono
mono-3.8
automake-1
libglade-2.6.4
gtk+-2.24

ige-mac-integration-0.9

jralls-gtk-osx-docbook-058d8a2

librsvg-2.37

tar-1.26

PortableReferenceAssemblies-2014-04-14

tiff-4.0
hicolor-icon-theme-0

gtk-osx-docbook-1.0

ms-test-suite

libpng-1.4.12

pixman-0.30.0

fsharp-fsharp-81c9447

mono-nuget-02b1ac0

atk-2.8

libjpeg-8
gettext-0.18.2

xamarin-gtk-theme-master

fsharp-3.1.1.14

pixman-0.30
libxml2-2.9.1
gettext-0.18
pango-1.35 murrine-0.98.2
gtk+-2
fontconfig-2.10

ccache-3.1

mono-addins-0.6.2

expat-2.0.1

gdk-pixbuf-2.28

libtool-2.4.2
llvm-3
tiff-4.0.3
libgdiplus-2.11

fontconfig-2.10.2

mono-basic-3.0

mono-addins-0.6

gtk-sharp-2.12

intltool-0.50.2
libcroco-0.6
libglade-2.6
.fseventsd

mono-extensions

main-2.11
atk-2.8.0
xz-5.0
glib-2.36
gtk-engines-2.20

gtk-doc-1.18

mono-libgdiplus-4e7ab0f

If you want to build native Mac applications with Mono, you can use the MonoMac bindings, an add-on to this product available from http://www.mono-project.com/MonoMac

A simple uninstallMono.sh script is included in the disk image. This is shell script that must be run as root, and it will remove the Mono.framework and the links in /usr/bin.

This package was created by the Mono team. Major contributors to this team include (in alphabetical order):

Wade Berrier Adhamh Findlay Miguel de Icaza Urs Muff

Geoff Norton Andy Satori

Questions or problems related directly to the Mono.framework should be addressed to mono- osx@lists.xamarin.com.

Questions about Mono should be directed to an appropriate resource that can be found on http://www.mono-

project.com/about. 

Edited by akafester

what browser are you using? you also need libwebp.dll, although the server should include that.

If using chrome you'll have a problem if it can't load libwebp. Other browsers don't use webp so they shouldn't be affected. I would just post the server log so we can see what the issue is.

akafester

what browser are you using? you also need libwebp.dll, although the server should include that.

If using chrome you'll have a problem if it can't load libwebp. Other browsers don't use webp so they shouldn't be affected. I would just post the server log so we can see what the issue is.

I'm using safari. But the issue is also present in firefox. Both are updated to latest versions. 

Server log

I have also tried the mediabrowser app to iPhone and the same issue is on there. No cover art what so ever.

well since the log is filled with ffprobe errors we probably want to start there. is this file present? /Users/stephan/Desktop/MBServer/ProgramData-Server/ffmpeg/20140827/ffprobe

akafester

Nope it's not. And i can't seem to find a place to get it. 

The only place is here and it says that it isn't maintained anymore?

EDIT: Found it here for OS X

Edited by akafester

KnightNZ

Managed to get it all up and running in Yosemite beta 4, geez MacPorts is a bit of a performance. 

Had to compile Macports from source as per https://www.macports.org/install.php, plug the /opt/local/bin path into the /etc/paths file, and then run "sudo build libgdiplus" - other than that it was all pretty straightforward. 

I also had to put a remapping to 127.0.0.1 for my hostname into /etc/hosts otherwise the UI kept telling me it couldn't find my hostname. Might be a Yosemite bug given that I definitely had .local added to the search suffixes in the network config.

akafester

Managed to get it all up and running in Yosemite beta 4, geez MacPorts is a bit of a performance. 

Had to compile Macports from source as per https://www.macports.org/install.php, plug the /opt/local/bin path into the /etc/paths file, and then run "sudo build libgdiplus" - other than that it was all pretty straightforward. 

I also had to put a remapping to 127.0.0.1 for my hostname into /etc/hosts otherwise the UI kept telling me it couldn't find my hostname. Might be a Yosemite bug given that I definitely had .local added to the search suffixes in the network config.

I am also trying to get mediabrowser to run properly on yosemite B4.

But i'm wondering why you have to build libgdiplus from source when it's included in the mono3.8 package?

And waiting til macports have an offical pacakage out for Yosemite. I don't have the time to build these things from source, and get to know how to do it :D

Gododgerz

So it's been 6 1/2 months since the initial post regarding an OS X installer... I understand being patient but that's just crazy. Why would you alienate such a large potential fan base by making your product next to impossible to install?

• Like 2

akafester

Just a heads up. 

The libgd from brew.sh (homebrew for os x), doesn't work either. 

I can't understand why nzbdrone, a program running on mono on mac also, can show images without this libgd+ is installed?

Can you elaborate here Luke?

Nzbdrone serves the images directly. We have to satisfy the requirements of devices like Roku and dlna renderers, which means we need to be able to convert and resize on the fly. that's why libgdi is needed. Did you try the macports version? 

akafester

Nzbdrone serves the images directly. We have to satisfy the requirements of devices like Roku and dlna renderers, which means we need to be able to convert and resize on the fly. that's why libgdi is needed. Did you try the macports version? 

Thanks for the very informative answer :)

No not yet. Haven't had the time to learn how to build macports to yosemite :)

akafester

We'll be working on a friendly osx installer soon if no community member takes it up first.

Don't think there's much work to be done. Went to check some stuff on the mono.net site today and saw they had an update, Now it's called 3.10 instead of 3.8.

I installed it, off course and after that completed i fired up mediabrowser. 

Long story short: IT WORKS!!

I have to test on my other mac as well, but so far it seems to be working. The mac it's working on hasn't been through any of the attempts i made with macports or homebrew.

So let's hear from others out there. I will update this post later with results from my other mac. :)

EDIT: I have tried on my other mac before and after, just in case. And it's the same. Cover art and all the other things works after updating mono. First start on both computers took a little while, perhaps media browser is converting pictures? But eventually it works and shows the right things, the right places :D

Had a little scare though where my futurama was blank. But that was just because media browser hadn't identified it properly.

Edited by akafester

Gododgerz

I was able to install and get MB3 running on Yosemite but it does require a series of commands through the terminal to launch it. Additionally, it requires the terminal window to be open to function. My question is once the OS X installer is developed and implemented will it eliminate the inconvenience of this mundane task by adding an actual "application"?

akafester

I was able to install and get MB3 running on Yosemite but it does require a series of commands through the terminal to launch it. Additionally, it requires the terminal window to be open to function. My question is once the OS X installer is developed and implemented will it eliminate the inconvenience of this mundane task by adding an actual "application"?

I don't know if you're familiar with Plex. On OS X, plex lives in the menubar running in the background.

I don't know if thats how the mediabrowser team imagined it would be, but i hope they're using the same idea's. Small and unintrusive. 

Maybe it's gonna be a third party that's going to develop from the source, and that person may have a totally different idea :).

But yes, the "official" mediabrowser app is not going to rely on the terminal :).

• Like 1

Gododgerz

I don't know if you're familiar with Plex. On OS X, plex lives in the menubar running in the background.

I don't know if thats how the mediabrowser team imagined it would be, but i hope they're using the same idea's. Small and unintrusive. 

Maybe it's gonna be a third party that's going to develop from the source, and that person may have a totally different idea :).

But yes, the "official" mediabrowser app is not going to rely on the terminal :).

Thank you for your reply. I am very familiar with Plex and love the seamless integration between multiple devices and how it runs in the "background".  I currently use it as a solution for streaming to other devices in the home and outside of it. I do however prefer XBMC (Kodi) as a front end for my main HTPC and love the '1080XF MOD' skin that has been released using full integration of MB3 into the skin itself.  My hope was to transition to MB3 using the Kodi front end so I could have my cake and eat it too.

• 2 weeks later...
akafester

So, I need to keep terminal open once I run the command? Because if I close it, Media Browser goes offline.

Yeah. Until there's someone who can make a dedicated app for the Mac platform.

I think you can run in sudo and then close the window. But i'm not 100% sure.

Try it and return with your findings ;).

Yeah. Until there's someone who can make a dedicated app for the Mac platform.

I think you can run in sudo and then close the window. But i'm not 100% sure.

Try it and return with your findings ;).

Media Browser seems to still be running after typing: sudo mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Haven't actually tried watching anything yet.