Convert recordings to MKV option removed?

Kramerika

PenkethBoy

NP - its very basic - you could add allsorts of enhancements to the script

I kept it simple to make it easy for people to understand

• Like 1

ok, it finally did the conversion.  So it won't save my settings and I have to go back and do this every so often instead of it doing it automatically?  That would be annoying.  When I look at the settings for that folder, they are back to default.

You can change the settings in the Download & Sync section of the server, which needs a redesign to make it more clear that it applies to the Convert feature as well.

Kramerika

I'll try that, but that won't completely resolve my issue.  Can an option be added to the conversion feature to keep the original audio intact?

maegibbons

@@Luke.  Can you please look at the Convert feature trying to Convert in progress recordings?  It just marks them as failed and never retries processing them again.

I reported this previously in the beta thread.  Worked in 3.6.0.2 and failed afterwards.

Krs

Mark

Thank you very much for this! I have been trying to figure out how to do this and haven't been able to. This will help me a lot since I consider MCEBuddy overkill for what I need it for.

MCEBuddy will use Handbrake CLI which isn't always your best choice. see below

That's a bummer that there is no way to do it directly.  I am more familiar with Handbrake, and I am using Windows for the server.  I can use HandbrakeCLI as a post-processing application with command line options.  It works to convert the recording and maintain the audio, but I need it to also delete the original file at the least as the point is to save disk space without having to monitor it.  I tried using a batch file as the post-processing application with the call to Handbrake and another call to delete the original file, but it didn't work.

Problem with Handbrake is that it will transcode the video which will degrade it.  It's fine if the is Mpeg2 and you want H.264 but if you record on a Prime with a cable provider that already streams H.264 you don't want to transcode it again for no reason.  In this case you only want to remux the file into a new package which is pretty simple to do using ffmpeg.

I'll try that, but that won't completely resolve my issue.  Can an option be added to the conversion feature to keep the original audio intact?

Curious but why not add the AAC and also keep the AC3 audio track.  AC3 isn't universal supported on all devices while AC3 is. This way it will play on anything.  The audio portion of the file overall is very small and audio transcoding is fast compared to the video portion.

jasonmcroy

MCEBuddy will use Handbrake CLI which isn't always your best choice. see below

Problem with Handbrake is that it will transcode the video which will degrade it.  It's fine if the is Mpeg2 and you want H.264 but if you record on a Prime with a cable provider that already streams H.264 you don't want to transcode it again for no reason.  In this case you only want to remux the file into a new package which is pretty simple to do using ffmpeg.

Curious but why not add the AAC and also keep the AC3 audio track.  AC3 isn't universal supported on all devices while AC3 is. This way it will play on anything.  The audio portion of the file overall is very small and audio transcoding is fast compared to the video portion.

Actually, I have mine set to Unprocessed MKV and per my logs it only uses ffmpeg and doesn't call Handbrake CLI at all. It is just a simple remux and takes about 2 minutes on a 1 hour show.

A remux is all I need right now because it gives me easy, fast skipping forward when using the App on my Shield device. 

Yea that's fine for the Shield TV but if you have devices that don't handle mpeg2 well then just remuxing isn't a good option and you need to transcode it to H.264.  Same with the AC3 codec that some devices won't play and want AAC instead.

But if this setup works for you and your environment then you are set!

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Yea that's fine for the Shield TV but if you have devices that don't handle mpeg2 well then just remuxing isn't a good option and you need to transcode it to H.264.  Same with the AC3 codec that some devices won't play and want AAC instead.

But if this setup works for you and your environment then you are set!

Yes. I only use the Shield TV device in home, both on the Living Room and bedroom. I do occasionally watch on my Samsung tablet but not that often.

I have a way different scenario than you - just my wife and I watch. I don't have remote users accessing my server. 

I do, however, transcode to H.264 any of the few shows I will actually keep. However, with these I am using videoredo to cut out the commercials by hand and then I let it transcode the file as well when done. Everything else is pretty much watch and delete so I just need it to be good enough to skip the commercials easily.

That's the beauty of Emby. 10 people can all use it differently in our environments.

I've got a lot of shows I record daily that get commercials cut and converted to H.264.  I'll keep these for about 7 days.  Mostly news and late night shows.

My Sports, Movies and TV Shows I run through Comskip which can create a file videoredo can use to mark your cut points. This way you only need to adjust the cut points instead of actually mark everything.  Many show done this way just need to be adjusted at the front and back from padding.  Makes for quick editing.  I then save them to another directory where they get put into a queue to be converted to H.265.

Have you thought of switching to H.265 instead of H.264?  Takes a bit longer to convert but uses 1/3 the space and the Shield TV plays them back perfectly.

Kramerika

I am a purist when it comes to audio, and I have the setup to play AC3.  However, I don't like 1 hour recordings taking up 5-7 GBs of my hard drive.  That is why I want to compress the video but keep the audio and why I like the previous feature to convert the video but not the audio.  As you said, each to his own.

Edited by Kramerika

• 2 weeks later...
Kramerika

So I can't seem to get Emby to disable the automatic conversion feature now after I used it initially to experiment. I go back to the folder and choose "Convert" from the options for that folder.  The box for "Automatically convert new content" is unchecked, but I check it and uncheck it to be safe and then click "Convert" hoping it will reset.  It does not do it.  It is still automatically converting new content.  How do I disable it?

So I can't seem to get Emby to disable the automatic conversion feature now after I used it initially to experiment. I go back to the folder and choose "Convert" from the options for that folder.  The box for "Automatically convert new content" is unchecked, but I check it and uncheck it to be safe and then click "Convert" hoping it will reset.  It does not do it.  It is still automatically converting new content.  How do I disable it?

What version of Emby Server are you running?

Sounds like you setup multiple conversion jobs. Go into the download & sync section of the server dashboard and you can manage them there. thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
spikemixture

No need to apologize to me - you were trying to help and I appreciate it. It lead me down a path to try again to figure out how to create a batch file to do this on Windows. However, I can't seem to figure it out. 

Oh well, hopefully one day it will be included in the Live TV section as an option...

You said further back "MCE Buddy is overkill" 

How is that?

It is free (or you can pay $30)

I have it set up in a win10 VM on a NAS to remux mkv to mp4 and convert AVI to mp4 .

I do not see avi or mkv anymore as all done automatically.

It is the path Emby should look at closely before Plex does it first..

Spaceboy

You said further back "MCE Buddy is overkill"

How is that?

It is free (or you can pay $30)

I have it set up in a win10 VM on a NAS to remux mkv to mp4 and convert AVI to mp4 .

I do not see avi or mkv anymore as all done automatically.

It is the path Emby should look at closely before Plex does it first..

i wouldn’t recommend mcebuddy to anyone. But it’s personal choice

bcm00re

I used it back when I used WMC server. It was okay, but comskip wasn't reliable enough for me. Sometimes it cut out parts of show near commercials and/or the end if the show. MCEbuddy doesn't support hardware encoding unless you buy it, but I figured out to manipulate some config files so it would use QuickSync (Intel) hardware encoding. :)

jasonmcroy

@@Spaceboy - I am just curious as to why not. 

I have found that for my usage scenario it works fine but just needing a simple remux of a .ts file to .mkv it's more what I need because it is designed to do a lot more.

However, I have been using the getchannels DVR for the past month and they have a post-processing function to mark the commercials in recordings as chapters and with one button you can skip over them within their app (you can also do it in Kodi). This led me to play around with this feature in MCEBuddy because you can have it remux the file and mark the commercials as chapters and produce an edl file. Kodi will use that to auto skip the commercials. This is better to me than cutting out the commercials because comskip isn't always accurate, especially on some channels. 

Now, if the Android app would allow chapter skipping with one button I would be set but as it is now I am having to use Kodi for this (or MrMC). 

spikemixture

Path to do what?

Hi Luke,

The path to have files converted and /or remuxed "in" the program

Emby has a limited convert option that needs more options and a remux option is a must - remux takes a minute or two - convert take many many minutes (30-60)

• Like 1

spikemixture

Odd statement considering you have used it and stated it does too much. :P

I must have missed the EULA that says you must use every feature!

My "personal" opinion is it is a great program for simple jobs and big complicated jobs