Emby Server 3.4

costan

costan

Hello,

I noticed that this release did not appeared on the RPM Repo. Since it was mentioned that the RPM Repo is deprecated, I tried to install manually the RPM reported on the download pages, but it's failing on CentOS 6:

--> Running transaction check

---> Package emby-server.x86_64 0:3.3.1.0-68.1 will be updated

---> Package emby-server.x86_64 0:3.4.1.0-1 will be an update

--> Processing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit) for package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64

--> Processing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit) for package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64

--> Processing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.16)(64bit) for package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64

--> Processing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.17)(64bit) for package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64

--> Processing Dependency: libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit) for package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: Package: emby-server-3.4.1.0-1.x86_64 (/emby-server-rpm_3.4.1.0_x86_64)

Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)

Requires: libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)

Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.16)(64bit)

Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)

Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.17)(64bit)

Maybe this one can work on CentOS7 only?

costan

CentOS 6 is in extended support.. rock stable, no systemd-related shit, lightweight..

I don't think I'll update to 7.. I should reinstall a bunch of things, mostly of which I don't even remember how I installed..

I'm a Premier Subscriber, is it possible to have a CentOS6 version, or at least some building from source instructions?

Guest plexman

CentOS 6 is in extended support.. rock stable, no systemd-related shit, lightweight..

I don't think I'll update to 7.. I should reinstall a bunch of things, mostly of which I don't even remember how I installed..

I'm a Premier Subscriber, is it possible to have a CentOS6 version, or at least some building from source instructions?

Being a Premiere Subscriber doesn't give you the right to decide how the software should be developed or what OS should be supported (for this you have the "feature request" section, and AFAIK they don't have "Premiere Members Priorities"). You know what you are buying before paying for it.

If you don't want to update it's your problem (and even more if you don't remember how you did things) not Emby's. So asking the devs to solve problems that come from a personal decision of no-updating instead of a real bug doesn't make sense at all.

Saying "systemd-shit" is like saying that Linus Torvalds (and all the developers of Linux kernel) has included a piece of sh***, crappy software that doesn't make sense at all, which sincerely I doubt.

So instead of complaining because changes bother you, try to adapt, learn and face the evolution instead of fighting against it.

In a nutshell... Upgrade to CentOS 7 and if you really need CentOS 6 for something else then you have containers, VM, etc.

Banjo

Number 1 rule when configuring a server is document what you did. You can guarantee that when you come to reinstall it you will have forgotten some critical point and then spend days working it out again.

This is a big part of why I love running my services as Docker containers.  It's all scripted and committed to source control.

is it possible to have a CentOS6 version, or at least some building from source instructions?

The problems you have so far are package dependencies, listed in the log you posted.  Why not try manually installing the required deps and then install the emby server package again.

As for building from source, find the project on github, download it and run msbuild.  Not exactly rocket science.

Manual deployment may bear some documentation though.

costan

Being a Premiere Subscriber doesn't give you the right to decide how the software should be developed or what OS should be supported (for this you have the "feature request" section, and AFAIK they don't have "Premiere Members Priorities"). You know what you are buying before paying for it.

If you don't want to update it's your problem (and even more if you don't remember how you did things) not Emby's. So asking the devs to solve problems that come from a personal decision of no-updating instead of a real bug doesn't make sense at all.

Saying "systemd-shit" is like saying that Linus Torvalds (and all the developers of Linux kernel) has included a piece of sh***, crappy software that doesn't make sense at all, which sincerely I doubt.

So instead of complaining because changes bother you, try to adapt, learn and face the evolution instead of fighting against it.

In a nutshell... Upgrade to CentOS 7 and if you really need CentOS 6 for something else then you have containers, VM, etc.

Hey Plexman, no offence but you were really hard on me.. :)

First of all, CentOS 6 was supported and had the repository perfectly working until 3.3.x. So I was puzzled and asked in the first place.

I never said it's a bug not having the version I need, I just asked if there was a plan or a workaround. I can also try to recompile.. I'm used to compiling and crosscompiling (I've developed on small ARM boxes), but never used Mono so I asked.

About the docs, the memory, I'm doing this job for living tirelessly hours in the office. When I get back at home, for my small server, I'm quite lazy and, given I'm the only one while in the office there's a team, I write down docs less than needed. I know it's my fault, but I'm the only one paying the consequences, so I'm prepared to face my own faults.

About CentOS7 and systemd-based release, I'm not fighting changes. I'm simply giving my opinion. My expert opinion, I would say, since I do this for living and I was a Redhat pioneer and I was a Linux/RedHat instructor for years.

I like some things in systemd, but it's too unnecessary complex and messy. Too much interdependecies, and without the udev internal systemd deps, probably most of the linux distro would have waited for the systemd release.

I'm not saying it has no positive sides, but I like things in a different manner (and I'm not the only one). Also, the main systemd dev Lennart Poettering is not that open and have a discutible approach on most discussion, even worse than Linus, and I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that Linus is lights years ahead of him.

So I'm not fighting the change, I moved from Plex to Emby, I'm learning WIndows internals, I'm going to Hybrid with my next car, I might also become married at some point. I'm just trying to pick the best of the future, and CentOS 7 is not my best pick at the moment. I like 6 much more, and I assure all of you I'm deeply involved in both 6 and 7 deployment and management for my work.

That said, the final point is much more lightweight.. my server will probably slow down too much with 7, not to mention the hours/days needed for the reinstall.. I have two unsatisfable customers (girlfriend and daughter) that will not appreciate :) .. and since I also have a newborn girl, I have zero free time when I'm home.. so.. no reinstall..

My original plan (that I'm employing with the VMs hosted at home) is to use spare hardware for 7 install, and then move services one-by-one.

But at the moment I have no spare hardware and I'm tight on money ATM for the right HW to buy.

If I had a bigger house and some spare money, I would have had already bought and installed a new, more powerful server. Just to let you know, my current setup allows a single HD transcoding with a now-and-then freeze for excessive load. I would have procured something capable of at least 3-4 HD flows, but it's not the right moment for hundreds of euros to spend.

That said, I think I did nothing wrong asking.. and I'll probably learn something new trying to build a Centos6 version indeed...

Edited by costan

• 3 weeks later...
Jucgshu

Or move to any kind of up to date distribution, install Emby with Docker and Docker Compose, and have some fun doing it while learning a couple of things in the process ;-)