Unable to play anything in Theater on Windows 2012 R2

scallywag3
Go to solution Solved by scallywag3,

scallywag3

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 with the server and theater on the same machine. When trying to play anything I receive an error stating "Error - There was an error processing the request"

The version of the Theater is 3.0.5.5182.20892 but has gone through a couple of updates and the issue has persisted.

The version of the Server is 3.0.5192.19560 and has also gone through a number of updates and the issue is still happening.

I have set it up to use VLC as an external player and this plays everything fine.

I have another PC running Windows 7 and the Theater runs fine on there and plays everything ok.

I turned on debug logging and have attached the log from when I tried to play some things. I tried a trailer, a movie, and a TV show which were all different formats.

Any help would be appreciated, or is Theater not made to work on Windows Server 2012R2?

Thanks.

theater-63531419011.log

Aphid

It looks like it cannot find EVR (the video renderer normally built into windows). Try installing MadVR.

Della Dog

Part of the initial install for Server 2012 OS is an option for "Direct Play?" or something similar that enables Windows 8 type media options. Might want to look add the add features option and see what's missing.

• Solution
scallywag3

Thanks guys. I installed Direct Play and Quality Windows Audio Video Experience features and rebooted but it still didn't work. I then installed the Media Foundation feature and everything seems to be working now :D