Moving away from MetaBrowser

AndyBak

AndyBak

Hi all, I've been a long time user of both MediaBrowser and MetaBrowser over the years in various versions and now wondering if there is still a need for both. With all the metadata capability available with MediaBrowser would I lose anything by moving away from MetaBrowser?

Thanks.

gcw07

It really depends upon your use. If you just use it for pure metadata, then I'd say you won't lose anything. If you use it to control torrents or anything like that then you might.

AndyBak

Spent the last couple of hours playing around with MediaBrowser as a full alternative to MetaBrowser and so far impressed (especially the TV auto organise), only short comings so far:-

• Doesn't appear to have the ability to rename movie files to match title name.
  • If episodes are dropped directly into appropriate folder no file rename (unlike the auto organise drop folder).
  • MetaBrowser had the ability to insert metadata into MP4 files which was ideal when adding them to itunes (hopefully a plugin at some point for this).

So for now I'm going to try and stick with just MediaBrowser. :)

zombieagain

The only reason I fire up metabrowser anymore is only to use the Youtube trailer downloader. If the Mediabrowser was able to download automatically the trailers referenced in the themoviedb page of the movie, I could then dismiss metabrowser as a whole.

Metabrowser has served me well, but I always felt that not having a web interface was a limitation given that I used it from my laptop, so it was always slow to scan the library and perform updates, especially on BluRay. Also MB server is incredible and improving every day, with more features appearing week after week.

I gave up on movie files renaming. with the web interface being so robust, I don't care anymore that the movies are properly renamed, as long as the metadata is correct.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
BeppoMonkeyBoy

My use of metabrowser was limited to trailer downloads only as the new metadata editor as well as the filerename did most of what i used metabrowser for..

However after downloaing the source from github it was a simple enough task to write my own plug in that uses the url links in the movie.xml to download the files to folders, 

Also found it was quite a simple matter to automate changing my date added to the airdate for tv shows, this means that if i add an old show from my archive to the server, my EHS isn't flooded with old shows, might have a play to see if i can do auto rename, and maybe some other clean up tasks.

• Like 1

chef

My use of metabrowser was limited to trailer downloads only as the new metadata editor as well as the filerename did most of what i used metabrowser for..

However after downloaing the source from github it was a simple enough task to write my own plug in that uses the url links in the movie.xml to download the files to folders,

Also found it was quite a simple matter to automate changing my date added to the airdate for tv shows, this means that if i add an old show from my archive to the server, my EHS isn't flooded with old shows, might have a play to see if i can do auto rename, and maybe some other clean up tasks.

Does your plug in rename movie files once they have been organized? Edited by chef

BeppoMonkeyBoy

at the moment it, downloads the first you tube link it finds for each movie, and add its to a "trailers" sub folder, and uses the you tube filename, plus a "-YouTube", it only does it for movies with no local trailers downloaded, I'm still having a play with it, but i would like to do some renaming, with episodes aready in the system and movies, but its not a massive need, as my collection is quite well maintated to start with.

• Like 1