Emby Theater Desktop Playback of 3D Movie Remuxes (mk3d or mkv Containers) Freezes After ~26 Minutes

shpitz461

Guest asrequested

I know that mpv have added and revised some APIs. Could this have something to do with it? I'll test using the last release, as an external player, and see what happens.

UPDATE:

Even with that version, it just ends a few minutes in, as an external player. So there's something happening with that.

Edited by Doofus

shpitz461

Is it the way Theatre is streaming the file to mpv? or is it the config Theatre uses for mpv?

Edited by shpitz461

Guest asrequested

Is it the way Theatre is streaming the file to mpv? or is it the config Theatre uses for mpv?

For the external players, the config comes from that player. So this would seem to be something to do with how Theater feeds the player. I would say, both internally and externally. Luke of course would have to chime in on that.

Edited by Doofus

Well here's something interesting. Using mpv as an external player, playback ends after just a few minutes. 

That sounds like the app stopped sending progress reports so the server shut the stream down...

Guest asrequested

That sounds like the app stopped sending progress reports so the server shut the stream down...

The thing is, that it happens at exactly the same point, every time. It's an earlier point, but the same thing happens with the MVC movies with the internal player. And if it's direct playing, shouldn't the server let the player handle everything?

And if it's direct playing, shouldn't the server let the player handle everything?

No because, in this disconnected world, devices can just disappear and we don't want the server continuing to serve up a stream to something that's not there.

Guest asrequested

No because, in this disconnected world, devices can just disappear and we don't want the server continuing to serve up a stream to something that's not there.

So maybe more resilience is needed?

So maybe more resilience is needed?

No, we need to be sure the app is sending proper progress reports if that is the issue.

My hypothesis was just that - based on nothing but your description of the problem.  If the app is not sending progress reports in some situation, then the server is doing what it should and the issue in the app needs to be addressed.

HOWEVER, we don't know that is the issue here - its just something to look at.

When this happens, does the server dashboard report proper progress of the video?

I'll have to check on that. I think so, but I'm not sure.

Actually, based on how this works now, you won't be able to tell.  Sorry.

Guest asrequested

Actually, based on how this works now, you won't be able to tell.  Sorry.

Ha! Well, is there anything else I can provide?

Ha! Well, is there anything else I can provide?

I'll let Luke answer that after he has a chance to investigate.

Thanks.

The external player is most likely direct playing to the file path on the lan so that's not likely to be the issue.

Unless emby is transcoding then whatever is happening with the external player is pretty much out of Emby's hands.

Guest asrequested

The external player is most likely direct playing to the file path on the lan so that's not likely to be the issue.

Unless emby is transcoding then whatever is happening with the external player is pretty much out of Emby's hands.

So why then will it play in the same player, same machine, same file, in the standalone not as an external player?

Maybe the play method is different. It is just hard to say without any additional information.

Guest asrequested

Maybe the play method is different. It is just hard to say without any additional information.

I did post the mpv log for that. I'll look into using different commands, and see if it makes a difference. I'll get any information you need, to help with this. Would the Theater log, reveal anything?

No it wouldn't. There isn't anything in Theater that will ever kill the external player. I think the differences will come down to command line arguments.

Guest asrequested

No it wouldn't. There isn't anything in Theater that will ever kill the external player. I think the differences will come down to command line arguments.

Cool, then I shall experiment with those. Anything more you need for the issue with the internal player?

shpitz461

My playback always freezes at 26:26, what happens is the movie freezes with the picture of the last frame played showing on screen. mpv.exe process is still running, and until I kill it, I can't play any other file in Emby. I either need to close Theatre or kill mpv.exe.

When the movie freezes, I can navigate Theatre no problem, but can't play anything (unless mpv.exe is killed). The freeze happens every 26 minutes, Theatre knows when the movie froze, so when I restart Theatre I can continue playing the movie from the freeze point.

• 3 weeks later...
shpitz461

Any luck with this? Driving me and the whole family nuts... :(

Is there anything else I can do/provide?

Guest asrequested

Cool, thanks!

Latest build of mpv?

Yeah. I also have a different GPU. So we'll see what happens.