Emby Theater Desktop Playback of 3D Movie Remuxes (mk3d or mkv Containers) Freezes After ~26 Minutes

shpitz461

Guest asrequested

I'm thinking it maybe something to do with splitting the container. I don't have any to test with. A later build of mpv might have better results.

shpitz461

The movie played fine using MPC-HC, so I agree, it has something to do with MPV.

When I use the external player I lose resume option from Emby, even if I pass the {ms} param. I only have the resume option when playing with MPV.

A way around this freezing issue is to use the external player for 3D files.

shpitz461

I'd like to thank Doofus for the assistance!

He was able to reproduce the freeze, it happens when played via Theatre, but no issue when played directly using mpv.exe.

I'm testing it right now as well (directly using mpv.exe, not using Theatre), using this config:

hwdec=auto

video-output-levels=full

sub-forced-only

audio-spdif=ac3,eac3,truehd,dts,dts-hd
af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:2

log-file="C:\Temp\Portable mpv log.txt"

Will report in a while.

Guest asrequested

Luke, what we're finding is that no matter how I configure the options/settings, when playing an MVC movie, it freezes right at the same point, every time. When playing in the standalone, it plays without issue. Is there any kind of function that might be instigated at 26 mins? Maybe ffprobe, or some regulatory function, etc?

shpitz461

Nope, nothing under Application or System or any of the other nodes.

I'm playing a 2D mkv right now (Judge Dredd) with log turned on.

Going to provide both logs once 2D playback reaches around 00:26:27.

Kung Fu Panda 3 3D MVC mk3d froze @ 00:26:25.

When mpv.exe freezes, it still runs with 0% cpu usage and about 300mb memory. Theatre is not able to play anything else unless I either kill Theatre or kill mpv.exe.

Edited by shpitz461

Do you have stats for nerds open during this time? if you do, try closing it.

shpitz461

No, nothing is showing except the movie, hands off remote.

Attached is a log of Panda 3 played on mpv.exe directly.

panda3_outside.7z

Edited by shpitz461

Well, if it doesn't reproduce in standalone mpv, they are probably just going to say sorry and close the ticket.

Guest asrequested

When I get a chance, I'm going to try and play it with the audio disabled. Maybe that will narrow things down, a bit. In that first log you posted, playback was restarted, and it looked like it was because of audio.

Guest asrequested

And just thinking about it. In the standalone, we weren't using all the audio configs that are used in Theater. Such as audio-channels. I'll explore that avenue, too.

shpitz461

Bump, any progress on this one? Drives us nuts :(

All mk3d movies played with internal player in 2D freeze after 26 minutes. This doesn't happen with any other media file.

This happens with direct play, no transcoding, with internal player. Other players including mpv.exe played outside of Theatre play mk3d fine (in 2D of course).

Guest asrequested

Definitely a weird one. I haven't gotten around to running the tests that I wanted. I'll try and run it on one of my other machines.

shpitz461

We tried another two from the daily builds. This must be something with the way mpv.exe is interacting with Theatre via IPC.

I can provide a sample movie if need be.

When mpv runs via Theatre, does it read its own mpv.conf file or is that being bypassed by Theatre?

My NUC runs an i5-4250U.

Guest asrequested

I should test mpv as an external player. And see if that makes a difference. And duplicate all of the Theater, config. I'll copy over all of the scripts, too.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I already have mpv and powerdvd set as external players. But I need to duplicate everything that the internal player is exposed, to.

Guest asrequested

Well here's something interesting. Using mpv as an external player, playback ends after just a few minutes. I'm playing directly in the same player (as standalone), right now. I'm already past that point. I want to prove it will still play past the 26 min, mark. Stay tuned....

UPDATE:

Still playing, long past the 26 min mark, in the standalone.

UPDATE 2:

Here's the mpv log when using mpv as an external player and it stopping after few minutes. As far as I can see, it just stops. Luke, could this be stream integrity just failing?

UPDATE 3: 

I just tried playing a 4k movie with mpv as an external player. It stopped at a few minutes, too.

UPDATE 4:

Playing the 3D MVC movie in PowderDVD 18 as an external player, it played.

Edited by Doofus