Emby Convert - Convert to H265 & Replace Video Files

butch79

butch79

Thank you for adding the convert feature I have been asking for for so long (my original request https://emby.media/c...l-media-to-mp4/) . I am not seeing an option to automatically convert to H.265. Converting to H.264 for 4K devices is not a good idea as H.264 is really only great for 1080p video. Unfortunately H.264 is also double file size of H.265. Can we get the option to convert to H.265 added?  Is there a possibility to also have a feature for the converter where it replaces the media instead of just saving another copy of the data in the same folder with a different format?

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
weble

@@Luke any update on when this will be added? Would be super useful as h265 would shrink my library considerably

Edited by weble
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
kalon33

@@Luke any update on when this will be added? Would be super useful as h265 would shrink my library considerably

Same thing here, I've lots of files in h264 or even mpeg2 formats that would greatly benefit from such a conversion.

Baenwort

Depending on your OS there are scripts that will trawl through and use ffmpeg to do the conversion sequentially. They aren't GUI and I don't know of one that is but it can be done now.

kalon33

Depending on your OS there are scripts that will trawl through and use ffmpeg to do the conversion sequentially. They aren't GUI and I don't know of one that is but it can be done now.

I'm using Ubuntu, and GUI doesn't matter at all. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if there's something good out there. Do you know one I could use?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Ubuntu, and GUI doesn't matter at all. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if there's something good out there. Do you know one I could use?

I ran an Emby server 24/7 on Linux Mint for about a year because my Mac mini wasn't powerful enough and I wanted something reliable and I despised Windows.  After the 3rd time during that year that an update broke it, I decided to try Windows 10 Pro.  The Pro version allows you to prevent Windows updates from automatically occuring and to postpone them for something like a year, I think.  You can buy recycled Windows 10 Pro licenses for about $35.  I have been running my Emby server 24/7 on Win10Pro now for about six months and I'm very pleased with it.  Now... to your point:  There is a program made only for Windows called MCEBuddy.  I have this program set up to automatically scan any new recording immediately after it's finished, cut out the ads, reencode it in H.265, replace the original file, and move it to the appropriate directory (TV or Movies).  It works like a champ.

Edited by WGB123
  • Like 1

BillOatman

A related question ... If I use ffmpeg to encode H.265 files, and I use a Emby windows server and android tv clients (shield and mi box), Emby Theater on Windows on a laptop, a xbox, and a smart TV with Roku built in, do I need to install anything extra to play the H.265 files (with as little transcoding as possible)?

[i never knew I had so many different clients until I wrote this post]

Edited by BillOatman

BillOatman

But the server would likely be transcoding its brains out, right?

Someone showed this to me, helped me understand a little so passing it on:

x265 is good for 4k remuxes.
If the media isn't source quality/remux, then there will be a loss of quality every time.
Also, once you go x265, typically that file is done.
It can't be changed to something else without a huge loss of quality.

Something like 95% of video files are x264 and have much better direct play support.
If you have more than a couple users,
you will notice much more transcoding.
Just depends on your priorities.

So basically if you are storage poor and just need to save space, use x265.
The catch is if you want best quality x265, you need source quality files, so you still have huge file sizes.
If you want maximum compatibility and the option to change your files to something else later,
then x264.
It's all really dependent on specific situations for different people
Edited by BillOatman

BillOatman

Depends on what app you're playing from.

android tv clients (shield and mi box), Emby Theater on Windows on a laptop, a xbox, and a smart TV with Roku built in,

bizarro252

I am able to direct play x265 on my RokuTV, if that helps...with one of your scenarios :)  I was surprised, I actually expected it to need to be transcoded.

Happy2Play

Most modern clients will direct play x265.  Locally is the key as lets say 90% of all user remote connections will require transcoding do to bandwidth.

• 4 weeks later...

This will be in Emby Server 4.3. When you use the convert media feature, or folder sync/cloud sync, you'll have more control over the target container and codecs now. Hevc will be among the video codec options:

5d965e9bc6118_Untitled.png

• Like 4

butch79

Will this allow us to delete the old files automatically after the files are converted to the updated format? If no, can this feature be added?

Will this allow us to delete the old files automatically after the files are converted to the updated format? If no, can this feature be added?

Have you explored the convert media feature?

byakuya32

I'm looking forward to this. I wonder when 4.3 is going to be released now. I will be able to convert my 4k movies now without the converted files being bigger than the original.

butch79

Sorry, I see that the feature is now there to for this, "Original media folder, replacing original files." That is GREAT!!! Can't wait for 4.3 to come out now. I have waited to convert my media until I can do H.265/HEVC across the board. Luke, thank you again for all the work on this. Very exciting.