Android TV: Transparency for look and feel improvement request suggestions.

Riggs

Riggs

Hi y'all!

First of all, i have to say thank you for the last big update in the app and your hard work. It is a big step. Awesome job!

However, the look and feel looks cheapy in some parts, and maybe can be worked with little touches to get a better professional look.

Emby is becoming in one of the most important developments in the XMBC category.

Transparency:

What i ask is main transparency option. This is with the intenttion that nevermind the theme you choose, you can have the option to choose transparency in the box sets and movie/series primary posters.

I now this can be applied on Android environment , what i don't know if it is a lot of work.

I'm not professional designer of profession but i'm working for many years with images for web design, logos, etc.

Everybody wants can do your pesonal touch at the movie collection/series, with their own main posters, backdrops, etc.

In fact, Emby give us to the premier users access to plugins how Cover Art. It comes with different type of "masks" for the main posters. The problem is that if you choose some rounded cover it keep the color background of the theme, depends of the theme can be random color or one color only.

I have my personal box sets in my collection made by me in .png format to get that transparency, the problem is that they look bad because the background used by any theme for the primary poster or box set collection.

Collections:

In this section, on the Android TV APP, when you click over the collection, all information about that collection is not showed. Primary poster, description, tittle collection,etc. Nothing. The only thing that you can get is the movie list.

For me, this has no sense, since when you create the collection in the web environment on the server, he pull the Primary art, backdrop and, in some cases the logo art for that collection, and in the worst scenario you can add whatever art you want. In the server/web environment, if you click over any collection, you can see all details of any collection with the artwork that you choose. That not happend in the Android TV APP.

That's all for the moment, i appreciate if the team address this request.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards.

Edited by HRSCR

Hi, great suggestion, thanks ! Can you show a mock-up to further demonstrate your proposals?

Riggs

Hi, great suggestion, thanks ! Can you show a mock-up to further demonstrate your proposals?

Of course, give me a little time to do the images needed to.

Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

Sorry about the image size and some typing mistakes   :unsure:

Edited by HRSCR

So basically you want the web app layout on android tv?

We'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

The Android TV interface typically uses this "card" style to display items but an option to use cards or not is possible.

And a detail screen for Collections is a good idea too.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Riggs

Thank you both for your answers.

@Luke: More os less, is free for the developer/s when they put the info, and can give the transparency to the the covers boxes/primary posters space for items and collections. About the scroll what i see most with many apps is the vertical use.. It is more "practical"? 

@ebr: Yes, that's why my suggestion is about the transparency, i think the app can gain more elegance.... and, in the collections section, the detail screen is really important.

The idea with this topic is ask if we can get all power that Emby already have and transport it to the APP.  At the end of the day, the APP is what is used to watch the content on the TV, and all you want is enjoy all this awesome features in. (With the exception of the users that using the web app directly).

I really appreciatte your attention.

My best regards.

Riggs

WOW!

AWESOME GUYS!

I receive the surprise yesterday at night, the collections looks fantastic!

I have not enought time to enjot it, i send more feedback today later.

Cheers!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Riggs

Hi @@ebr and @Luke 

I saw the transparency working INSIDE the items (with the logo for example)

However the libraries still showing color behind the covers.

I left Plex and Lifetime Pass (yes, i close my account) since I start using Emby.

I really love Emby in many ways. 

Have to mention the quick response at the issues and request like this.

Thanks for your hard work.

Riggs

Another question:

Is there a way to work some theme? The dark theme for example. 

The transparency depends of the theme's or is handle by the APP?

Thanks

Edited by HRSCR

Hi.  We may look further into this in the future but the standard Android TV controls we are using are designed around this "Card" concept.  You'll notice on the device home screen and in other standard places that this is the case.  To make it look different we would have to build our own custom controls which we may do at some point but haven't yet.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Riggs

Hi @@ebr @@Luke

Can have the transparency in the Android APP is awesome, the improvement in the look and feel is amazing, the interface looks very professional and elegant. I have no words to say thank you, you are doing a really great job. 

I'm of the guys who start on the internet world early in the 90's. I 'm participated in many forums and programs in all those years, but I never received the attention and care that you give to the community.

I really hope that more people discover this project and know the quality and work and dedication of the team here.

Thank you, very much!

Request filled!  :)

Edited by HRSCR