Can't skip ahead near end

adam1010

adam1010

Android TV:  Confirmed bug on both  1.5.83g (beta)  and 1.5.66g

If I'm within 10sec of the end of a TV show and I click the right/skip button to skip the credits (or spoilers for next weeks episode), it REWINDS back to -10sec before the end of the show.

So if there are 5secs left and I right click to skip ahead to the end (so the next episode will start), it rewinds so there are 10secs left.  If I keep clicking right it will just keep jumping back, in an infinite loop.

This is by design because skipping past the end would take you out of the item without realizing it.

We might be able to tighten it up to just a few seconds though.

Q-Droid

To be clear, the below is for LiveTV playback, not recorded content.

Would it be possible to ignore the skip ahead if playback is within a second or so from the end? In my experience playback will pause, apparently to wait for the end and multiple hits queue up so it ends up paused for quite some time. Usually a DVR will let you know when it's at the end but Emby just sits there. 

As for the OP issue could the skip ahead be made variable to account for how close to the tail the current playback position happens to be.

Edit: This is for LiveTV playback.

Edited by Q-Droid

adam1010

Yeah clicking the right (skip ahead) button should never go backwards. 

When you do skip ahead to the next episode the OSD pops up visually letting you know that a new episode has started. So given that I don't think this feature needs to exist.

But if you do keep it, can you drop the threshold down to 3secs?  And instead of having it rewind when you're inside the threshold, can you just disable the skip ahead button so it's not possible to get in an infinite loop?

Or even better, maybe just a checkbox in the settings to DISABLE the "Skip past end protection"

Okay, I've looked at this and the app is actually designed to only limit this to 1 second before the end.

You said this was live TV - so, I guess after having been paused for a while?

How was it playing?  Direct, remux, transcode...?

adam1010

No, this is not with live TV.  These are TV shows from the TV show library.   It happens on both direct and with transcoding. Let me know if you can't reproduce -- I just tried with a few more episodes and was able to reproduce 100% of the time.

Edited by adam1010

No, this is not with live TV.  These are TV shows from the TV show library.   It happens on both direct and with transcoding. Let me know if you can't reproduce -- I just tried with a few more episodes and was able to reproduce 100% of the time.

Another person mentioned Live TV.

These items were all playing in Exoplayer, correct?

Wait - I just found an extra zero in one place - but it would only have affected direct streaming items - not transcoding.

Are you sure this happens with transcoded items too?

adam1010

Yes, ExoPlayer. Confirmed issue on both Mi Box + Nvidia Shield.

If you long hold the right button to go to the end it will pause at -10sec from the end. So then just hit play and tap the right button a few times to see what I'm talking about. It keeps rewind to -10sec and won't let you skip ahead to the next episode.

adam1010

You're right, it doesn't happen when transcoding (although when transcoding the "time left" counter shows weird numbers like -0-27   or -0:-30)

Okay, then this will be fixed with the next release (it will allow you to skip to -1 sec as originally intended).  Thx.

Q-Droid

Another person mentioned Live TV.

These items were all playing in Exoplayer, correct?

Yes, that was me. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread with what might be a different issue.

Live TV, direct play, ExoPlayer on Nvidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box. It doesn't matter if I've skipped back once, paused briefly or just changed the channel. If I skip forward when playback is at the tail of the stream (current time) it still tries to skip. I just upgraded the server to 3.4 and haven't tested again on the Mi Box yet. Now on the Shield it's only a brief pause but it was much longer on the Mi Box. I'll try again tomorrow on the Mi Box to see if the server upgrade changed anything.