Question about my network share

mrfaulk

mrfaulk

my emby theater install (web client) was running like silk until today, now it won't stream anything, instead it throws up:

playback error - no compatible streams are currently available. please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

here's one of the error sections of the log file... not sure what i could have done to cause this?

--------------------------------------

2018-05-04 01:03:31.227 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.3.1.0
    Command line: C:\Users\JOHNDOE\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Processor count: 4
    Program data path: C:\Users\JOHNDOE\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\JOHNDOE\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.Exception: Error starting ffmpeg

at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.<StartFfMpeg>d__72.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.<StartFfMpeg>d__72.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Edited by mrfaulk

Hi there, please attach the complete emby server log. thanks.

mrfaulk

doh, was having trouble with the external hard drive that contains my movie files, had to change the network name, which (i think) is obviously causing the probs.... is there a way to change the network path in emby without deleting/rebuilding the library? when i get to this screen i'm unable to change the path...

image.png

You would have to remove the folder and then add the new one.

mrfaulk

You would have to remove the folder and then add the new one.

where do i remove the folder and add a new one? or are you talking about rebuilding the library?

Yes you'll need to rebuild the library. Not your entire emby library, just the one single library whose folders have changed.

mrfaulk

Yes you'll need to rebuild the library. Not your entire emby library, just the one single library whose folders have changed.

all of my folders have the same parent folder, the name of which has changed, so it looks like the entire library, no?

You don't need to remove entire libraries most likely, just remove the folders within the libraries, then add the new ones. Click on a library in Emby library setup to manage the folders for that library.

mrfaulk

my apologies for the absolute brain fart... it was a very easy fix, i just unshared the network attached storage drive containing my movies, then re-shared it, but this time around giving it the same share name i used when i installed/setup emby, simple as that...

mrfaulk

Thanks for the feedback.

thanks for quickly trying to help me with my prob!

speaking of which, my movies are stored on a networked 5tb external usb drive that's about 97% full and beginning to act squirrelly, so i purchased an 8tb drive and am in the process of transferring all of the files... once done what is the best way to get emby to read the new networked drive without having to rebuild all of the libraries again? the file/folder structure of the new drive, including share name, will be identical to the old drive with the only change being the drive letter.

emby has, by far imo, the best scraping performance out all of the media front ends i've tried, it does a fantastic job of identifying movie files, but it still took some elbow grease the first time around that i would rather not have to go through again if it can be avoided.

it seems that what you guys were trying to explain to me above would do the trick, but i'm not following exactly what you're talking about... could you explain in more detail how to do it or point me to a tutorial? thanks!

EDIT: i wonder if i can just change the drive letter of my new drive, give it the same drive letter as my old drive, and then give my old drive a different letter? hmmm...

Edited by mrfaulk

mrfaulk

Why not just used both drives, and add both to the library?

that's the plan, but i don't trust the 5tb drive at the moment, so i want to move all of the files to the new drive, or at least half of them, it's been my experience that once a drive gets very close to full (which is the case with the 5tb, 97%+) it can give you unexpected probs...

on another note, i'm trying to clean up my pc a bit, and decided to uninstall the emby theater app given i'm very happy with the web client... if i uninstall the emby app, and check all of the boxes it displays during the uninstall process, will that also uninstall the emby server (which i don't want to happen!) or cause any issues with the web client service?

Guest asrequested

that's the plan, but i don't trust the 5tb drive at the moment, so i want to move all of the files to the new drive, or at least half of them, it's been my experience that once a drive gets very close to full (which is the case with the 5tb, 97%+) it can give you unexpected probs...

on another note, i'm trying to clean up my pc a bit, and decided to uninstall the emby theater app given i'm very happy with the web client... if i uninstall the emby app, and check all of the boxes it displays during the uninstall process, will that also uninstall the emby server (which i don't want to happen!) or cause any issues with the web client service?

No, it'll only remove Theater.

mrfaulk

thanks for quickly trying to help me with my prob!

speaking of which, my movies are stored on a networked 5tb external usb drive that's about 97% full and beginning to act squirrelly, so i purchased an 8tb drive and am in the process of transferring all of the files... once done what is the best way to get emby to read the new networked drive without having to rebuild all of the libraries again? the file/folder structure of the new drive, including share name, will be identical to the old drive with the only change being the drive letter.

emby has, by far imo, the best scraping performance out all of the media front ends i've tried, it does a fantastic job of identifying movie files, but it still took some elbow grease the first time around that i would rather not have to go through again if it can be avoided.

it seems that what you guys were trying to explain to me above would do the trick, but i'm not following exactly what you're talking about... could you explain in more detail how to do it or point me to a tutorial? thanks!

EDIT: i wonder if i can just change the drive letter of my new drive, give it the same drive letter as my old drive, and then give my old drive a different letter? hmmm...

just a follow up in the the event some might find it useful... copied all of my media to a new 8tb drive, gave the new drive the same letter as my previous drive that held my media, shared the new drive and gave it the same share name as the previous drive, emby sees the content of the new drive just as it did the previous drive, no need to rebuild anything.