Windows 7 GPU Drivers

koi
Go to solution Solved by Guest asrequested,

My mistake.  Cinema mode was not disabled.  I toggled it off within the Server settings.

In WMC - Files now play within internal player using both Play and QuickPlay.

In Theater - I think I partially figured out why the "No compatible streams error" would pop up when entering the details screen for a video.  I disabled play theme songs and videos in Theater and now I no longer get the error going into details.  However, videos will still not play with the internal player.  With external player configured, all videos will now play.  

If trying to play with the internal player, I just get the "No compatible streams" error.  But at least I don't have to terminate Theater manually when the theme songs and videos were enabled!

Guest asrequested

What GPU are you using, and what audio device (receiver, sound bar etc) are you using. HDMI? Optical?

I changed the settings to variations of 7.1, 5.1, stereo with and without bitstreaming but it still fails to load the videos.

Guest asrequested

It's weird. It's almost like something is blocked.

Ok, one last test. Change every setting to default, and make sure windows audio is correctly configured.

Guest asrequested

It's like theater isn't getting permission to access the files. Check your library configs. We know know mpv works, just not in Theater. I think there aren't any logs because it's not getting far enough to access the file.

I was suspecting that and I even mentioned it earlier, however, even if that happens it should be able to fallback to streaming through the server. I'll have to double check that.

OK, to confirm a few things:

1) If I uninstalled and reinstalled Emby Theater from scratch, it should reset everything to default right?  When I reinstalled Theater, it detected the server on the local network automatically.  I then just tried to play videos from there.

2) By Windows Audio, do you mean choosing the right output device, and configuring playback (speaker settings et. al from there)?

3) What settings should I check in the library config on the server?  As I mentioned initially, Emby Server is running in a Docker, and I have the mount points directed at the IP address (rather than hostname) of the server and corresponding folders.  I'm not sure why Theater would be blocked from accessing the files, as all the files are public, do not require a login or password and accessible through the network and Emby WMC or Web.

Unfortuantely, I don't have any other Windows 7 machines in the household to see if Emby Theater is just acting up on that machine.  I just installed a fresh copy of Theater on a Windows 10, left settings at default, and it played the theme songs/videos, and the episodes or film without errors.

Yah, just a bit puzzling why other clients work on the same machine but Theater doesn't unless it accesses the networked files differently vs. EMC.  I'll try installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 tonight to see if Theater will work then.  But likely, I'll just install Windows 10 but have been hesitant due to some previous driver issues.

Guest asrequested

Windows 10 has a bug, right now. Hopefully they'll release a patch, today. So test with Win 7 SP1, first.

• Solution
Guest asrequested

So the same Windows 7 installation is now working fine?

No, @@koi switched to Windows 10

• Like 1

Just to clarify, base installation of Windows 7 worked fine.  Once updated to current official GPU drivers, streams did not play through native player in Theater.  Switched to Windows 10, and apparently things are working well.  Thank you to you and Doofus for all the troubleshooting!