Emby 3.4.0.0 opensuse repositories

banddilondon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I think the build is failing and we'll have to look into it. It's going to take a little more time. What cpu architecture are you running?

banddilondon

Linux 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu x86_64 GNU/Linux

Edited by banddilondon

• Solution

Ok, at this point, the opensuse repositories are legacy for us. You will get better performance and stability by switching to our newer installation package:

https://emby.media/download

Unfortunately this requires a complete uninstall and purge though. We'll try to get the opensuse build resolved in the next couple days so that you can stay on that if you want to.

• Like 1

banddilondon

Thank you I will wait for the developments to come to benefit from the repositories

frankw

As a fellow Ubuntu user, I really do think there is a need for some form of package repository, whether it is on opensuse, launchpad or somewhere else. I don't think manually downloading a paxkage from github over the long-term is really a great solution. Anyway, keep up the great work guys!

thynan

Hi! I'm using this repository: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/. So I guess I should also use the new packages. As I understand, that means that I will switch from mono to net-core, is that correct?

Are there any "official" instructions to make the switch, without using userdata etc?

Edited by thynan

Hi! I'm using this repository: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/. So I guess I should also use the new packages. As I understand, that means that I will switch from mono to net-core, is that correct?

Are there any "official" instructions to make the switch, without using userdata etc?

They are different installations. You would need to uninstall & purge. You can follow our backup guidelines here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Backup

Then you can install using the newer package. Thanks.

vk_digi

Hello

that is a bad joke? Purge all and reinstall? I spend hours and hours to get all media files added and identify them. Even with fully correct names your software identify wrong files and many pictures i add manual to get no "missing pics"..... as far as i know this is NOT part of backup.

Anyway to add all media (about 25TB) it takes many many hours to get it done.

Is this your last comment? Purge and reinstall? 

Friendly hint: Stop adding kiddy stuff like alexa support and get the baisic done which means get the bugs out an than add new stuff

Bye 

Edited by vk_digi

You can also just stay on the opensuse version rather than trying to switch.

vk_digi

Hello,

You can also just stay on the opensuse version rather than trying to switch.

Do i understand correct: stay at opensuse version means i need only wait some time for the new version?

vk_digi

Hello,

okay i ask once again to get things clear:

a)  Stay at opensuse repo means stay at old version for all time?

B) With in a short time you will add correct install version of new version into opensuse and the old installation can remain as it is?

i am not willing to manual update all the time as written in the posting you linked me to.

What please is the reason that you change the install-location and the setup KNOWING 100% this will force everyone to do a complete reinstall?

Is this the way it should be understood? 

No mirgration script nothing? I can not believe this without very very good reasons why?

About 7-8 months ago we rolled out new packages so this has already been legacy. But we've still been updating this to avoid any possible disruption. This new release of Emby Server will require extra work to get the opensuse repository updated. it could be a little while before we're able to do that so I was just trying to offer you something you can do right now, if you want.

vk_digi

Hello,

okay. thank for the answer. i got it now. i need to wait some time than there will be a new version in normal update proccess. fine. i can stay with ease at the old version. 

btw my emby-server is running much longer than those 7 mounth or so.. doing it this way a give a break to all those users that uses emby for a longer time and not only for "testing" but for the family in a stable env.

bye volker

So the package repository for opensuse/ubuntu is obsolete by now and not updated anymore? I can't see a clear answer here @@Luke ? ^^

It is possible in the future we may do a repository for the new .deb packages. The current repository though is a different story because the build process is based on older tech, it's not working with the latest release, and now we have some decisions to make about what we're going to do with it. So either way it is likely to take a little bit of time. If you'd like to update manually for now you can do some by following this process here, in posts #3 and #4:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58613-question-about-my-32-bit-upgrade/?p=574032

• 2 weeks later...
zenwryly

I just used my demo APT repo to upgrade and everything seems to be working just fine.  I didn't have to do any backup and restore BTW.  I have a backup in case there's some problem that's not evident yet, but it sure seems to be working without having had to do any of that restore work.

• Like 2

kcprophecy

I just used my demo APT repo to upgrade and everything seems to be working just fine.  I didn't have to do any backup and restore BTW.  I have a backup in case there's some problem that's not evident yet, but it sure seems to be working without having had to do any of that restore work.

Thanks for this, honestly didn't like the other methods available so gave this a shot and it worked flawlessly on Ubuntu 16.04!

zenwryly

Thanks for this, honestly didn't like the other methods available so gave this a shot and it worked flawlessly on Ubuntu 16.04!

Glad to hear it!  BTW, I did eventually run into a problem having just upgraded without doing the backup/restore dance.  Rather than go through that hassle, I just used this symlink solution.

Anyone know if the project would like to use my APT repo solution?

Yea it's interesting, we might look at that in the future, but currently we are still pretty tied up trying to expand onto more platforms.

zenwryly

It should be a pretty simple addition to your build and/or release upload process.  If it's not simple, let me know how so and I'll make it simple for that use case.