Windows Store version of Emby Theater - add Picture in Picture

WilhelmStroker

WilhelmStroker

a while ago, Microsoft added the option for PiP (mini view) on Windows 10:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/05/22/windows-10-tip-watch-video-using-another-app-mini-view/#H2HDSbLRePdfU9Jd.97

Any chance to get that added to the store app? I use Emby regularly on my SP4 and having the mini view would be a great addition.

• Like 2

SikSlayer

I was thinking this needs to be added to both Emby Theater, as well as the website.

Actually, the website, via both tv.emby.media as well as app.emby.media, should be PWAs, and this is a key feature to add alongside that.

via both tv.emby.media as well as app.emby.media

They have already been for over a year now.

We already have an app in the store. I don't see a benefit to having two apps that would be basically the same thing.

SikSlayer

PWAs as they are now can take advantage of notifications, live tiles in Windows 10, and other things. Smart Player was basically that, minus the notifications, but it has this bug where some error message pops up all the damn time. It's never been fixed, and I'm pretty sure development on it is dead.

Submitting Emby as a PWA would fix that.

Edited by SikSlayer

No it wouldn't, those features would still have to be developed just like they would be for native apps. There is no magic.

So what's the expectation for picture in picture? You click a button in the video player and this reduces the app to the little mini-window? Is that correct?

WilhelmStroker

Yup just like the default movie player does, and similar to pip on android.

• Like 1

Ok, with the next app update there will be a picture in picture button inside the video player.

• Like 3

WilhelmStroker

Ok, with the next app update there will be a picture in picture button inside the video player.

That's awesome, thanks for adding that!

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

And it's already there! Great stuff, works really well from the short time I played with it.

FrostByte

Yes, thank you.  It works great.

Is this something that would work on the XB1 also?  In case someone wants to play Halo and watch TWD at the same time

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to try it on xbox one yet but i'm guessing no.

WilhelmStroker

The pip button isn't there on the Xbox version that just updated. I do miss the snap function earlier Xbox builds had, but sadly MS took that option away.

The pip button isn't there on the Xbox version that just updated. I do miss the snap function earlier Xbox builds had, but sadly MS took that option away.

That's what i expected. It uses a windows api to detect if the feature is available and it must not be available on Xbox.

I don't think this will be super useful on desktops as you can already resize the window. But it will probably be nice on surface tablets.

• Like 2

WilhelmStroker

I use my Surface mainly in desktop mode and being able to quickly resize the player with this button makes that a lot easier.