Private Listening causes buffering

samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Playback is usually fine on my Roku, at least when playing out on my TV's speakers. As soon as I switch to Private Listening, at least for content with Dolby audio, the video buffers every 15 seconds or so. I was wondering if this was because the Roku would be too weak to decode and send the audio at the same time, or is it causing my server to have to convert/downmix the audio for it to play on my headphones?

I've tried this both on stable release and on the latest betas, for both the server and Roku app. I'm trying to see if it's a Roku issue, or my server being too low spec'd to properly process the Dolby audio. Other devices seem to work fine with any type of content (Kodi and Apple TV), and this issue only happens with Private Listening on the Roku. Without Private Listening, I usually don't encounter issues with playback on Roku.

I am using the latest Roku Express as client, and a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B as my server.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by samuelqwe

Need to see the ffmpeg log but I bet it is the Pi just not having the horsepower to transcode.

samuelqwe

Yes, I suspect the same thing. It's bizarre that it plays fine without Private Listening though. It says it is direct streaming, but it is probably not. I'm planning on getting more a powerful server in the coming months anyways.

ffmpeg-log.txt

In this example it's just not able to convert fast enough to be playable. The new release of the server has a feature to convert media. You could use that to convert ahead of time prior to playback so that it will be able to direct play on the roku.

samuelqwe

That’s good, but I’m not a Premiere user. Not yet anyways. The Pi was mostly to test out Emby, but I am also planning to upgrade to something a bit more powerful.

I am on the latest server beta, but I can live with this issue for now.

Edited by samuelqwe